Maple Apple Chicken Sausage

trucktramp
Beginner
Beginner

Maple Apple Chicken Sausage

Post by trucktramp » Tue Aug 08, 2017 02:55

Recently I was at my sister's house and she gave me some commercially made Maple Apple Chicken sausage to try. Surprisingly, it was good. Normally I enjoy the traditional fresh sausage recipes that I find on this site since they are much better than anything purchased in the store. She wondered if the sausage could be made at home. My reply was that I didn't have a recipe but I'm sure I could find a good one on this site. Does anyone have a good Maple Apple Chicken sausage recipe? There are several on the internet but I wanted to try some from here first. I searched recipe index and found nothing so I thought I would ask.
I believe in moderation in everything...including moderation
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Aug 09, 2017 16:24

Hi trucktramp.
There are so many variations of apple sausages out there, but I think the best ones are the ones that originate in the UK. I once made the one sourced by Stan Marianski and it's available here: http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... pork-apple
To give it a bit of maple sugar flavour, add two table spoons of syrup into the mix and you should have a very good sausage. To give it a bit of acid, you could substitute the apple juice with a shot of fermented apple cider. Another one of my my favourite sources for fresh sausages is Bruce Aidell's Complete Sausage Book. I guess you will have to to a bit of experimenting and I'm sure you will come up with a great sausage.

Have fun and give us a report about your results. :grin:
trucktramp
Beginner
Beginner

Post by trucktramp » Thu Aug 10, 2017 02:55

I just looked at the recipe and saw Rusk on the ingredient list. It looks like a bread type filler possibly for moisture retention. Any suggestions for substitutions or should I just leave it out? I have no idea where to get it in the states but I did find a recipe for it.
I believe in moderation in everything...including moderation
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Aug 10, 2017 06:49

If you really want create a sausage as close to the original as possible, you would use rusk. However, you can create a fine tasting sausage without it. I f want that that extra huicess that comes with using a binder you can add some non instant non fat milk powder or or soy protein.