Fall is here and its time to use up last years game

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Fall is here and its time to use up last years game

Post by fatboyz » Tue Sep 19, 2017 04:11

Well it's nice and cool and starting to snow. Just got back from a sheep hunt with no success. Going to make sausage this weekend now that this heat wave has broke.I have about 80+pounds of deer and elk. Going to make Weisswurst, weiners, jalapeno cheese smokies. garlic ring and jalapeno cheese salami.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Sep 20, 2017 14:54

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.

Sheep are hard to hunt aren't they?

Deer season is almost in here. I've been cleaning brass and fixing to work up loads. Deer are getting overpopulated here in areas where the pigs haven't run them out. My limit this year is 12 and with the children hunting to I expect to fill the freezers.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Thu Sep 21, 2017 04:58

Yup very tough to hunt. We hiked in just over 10 miles to base camp. Another 2 1/2 hours up the mountain at first light. Was quiet cold and a fair bit of snow. Hunting moose with my longbow this Saturday, and sausage making Sunday.
I just finished cleaning brass too. Loaded some 7-08 for my daughter. Still need to load some 260AI and 6.5 Leopard for myself, and some 243 for my other daughter.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Sep 21, 2017 05:54

7-08 is a good round. I shoot that, .260, .243 and .308. I have others but I not a fan of rifles that kick and prefer accuracy over punch. I guess I'm a wimp. :oops:
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Thu Sep 21, 2017 13:50

That's a problem I'm envious of. Be safe up there and good luck this year.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Thu Sep 21, 2017 17:27

I'd love to shoot a moose. I can only imagine all the meat you could get from one. I've eaten moose meat once and I really liked it.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Fri Sep 22, 2017 03:37

The moose we have we get between 500 and 700 pounds of meat. Makes great sausage!!
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sun Sep 24, 2017 20:04

The day is going a little slow. Garlic and farmers are in the smoker, hot Italian is done and in the freezer. Changed things up a bit as I found extra sausage in the freezer. Weisswurst and hot dogs are next. Just grilling up a few farmer and Italian patties from the left overs in the bottom of the stuffer then back at her!
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Sep 25, 2017 14:30

The smoke didn't take too well on the first batch? I\m not sure if I should have the damper open during the drying to get that moisture out. Nice taste, poached to finish, but doesn't have that nice color that it should. The emulsified sausages were by far the best! Weisswurst was fantastic, and the hot dogs were my best batch yet!. The emulsion was perfect. I'm not sure what to do about pictures now that photobucket is pay only?
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Mon Sep 25, 2017 14:54

Ron- I leave the dampers wide open while they are drying. Use imgur for photos its easier than photobucket was. https://imgur.com/

What recipes did you use for the Dogs and Weisswurst?
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Tue Sep 26, 2017 04:42

Bob I can make 4kg at a time in my cutter. I made two batches each of the weisswurst and dogs. For the spice I use wieburg Munich weisswurst spice at 5g/kg. I add to that 17g/kg of salt and 3 g/kg of wieberg cutter phosphate. I also add a quarter whole lemon, seeds removed and a quarter of a raw onion. The meat block is 4 pounds lean elk, 2 1/2 pounds lean shoulder pork trim, 1 1/2 pounds back fat and 2 1/2 pounds of frozen 1% milk. Run it through the cutter to 12 c. Stuffed in hog casing and poached.
I use the same meat block for wieners except 1 1/2 pounds ice instead of milk. I use 7 g/kg of wieberg hot dog spice and 15 g/kg of sallt, 3 g/kg of phosphate, and 2g/kg of Prague #2. Same time in the cutter then into hog casings. I smoke for 3 hours at 120 then into the poaching keg.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Sat Sep 30, 2017 14:23

Bow hunting today, but tomorrow I'm making sausage from the last of a friends deer. Will be an easy day this time, just some Brats and jalapeño cheese salami. Last Sunday was a 12 hour day. I also installed and sided a walk in collier next to my meat shed. Just need to weld a rack to hang the meat on and have the refrigeration guys come do a recharge.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 30, 2017 16:19

Thanks for the weisswurst recipe Don. Inspired me to get the bowl cutter out and make something new. I have been considering making a stockwurst, substituting the beef with venison. But I don't hunt and am at the mercy of my family and friends. So hopefully will get some venison soon. We just got back from Europe and saw many fallow deer farms. Venison is very popular there and quite expensive in butcher shops and restaurants. In Switzerland you will pay the equivalent of 80 or 90 Canadian dollars for a plate with a venison cutlet, roasted potatoes and a vegetable. So we are fortunate here to be able to harvest our own. And sometimes we forget how lucky we are. :grin:

Good luck with the hunt today!