Got some sausage "fixings" this past week.

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Got some sausage "fixings" this past week.

Post by fatboyz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 15:09

Nice and cold and snowy here and hunting season is in full swing. My daughter and I harvested 3 big mule deer on the weekend. (1 buck and 2 does). I got over 110 pounds of meat off her buck alone. I'm going to use the loins to make a dried cold smoked product similar to Dutch semi dry horse meat. I basically use my Speck recipe. Besides a bunch of roasts I also got 75 pounds of trim from it. I made a bunch of ground from the does, plus steaks, roasts, and 15 pounds of trim. I also saved a nice inside round for my mother to make corned deer from. As luck would have it the local hog farmer called me last week that he had a butcher ready hog that prolapsed and since the big Federal plant he deals with won't take it we got it for a song. I have some nice roasts, lots of back and shoulder fat, trim, bellies, ribs for smoking and 2 nice Coppa's. Hunting with my other daughter this weekend too! My little meat shed/sausage shop is going to be busy! Just in time too as I'm almost out of Genoa. Sopresatta and pepper salami!
airbrush
User
User

Post by airbrush » Tue Nov 14, 2017 16:58

Man, you have my blood boiling! I haven't hunted in years and it's been that long to have a fresh kill in the barn.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Tue Nov 14, 2017 20:49

It is definitely one of the advantages of living in a small rural area. We have public land hunting available to us less than 5 minutes drive from town!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Nov 15, 2017 15:22

Sounds like you've had a good season so far. My son came down for a few days and we hunted but we were mostly trophy hunting. He ended up getting a nice 8 but the large 8 and a 10 bested him by only giving him glimpses in the thick bedding area they were hanging out in. After 3 days he had to leave but he encouraged me to go that afternoon even though I was long overdue for a nap. I drug myself to the woods and what looked like was going to be an uneventful hunt turned into a very memorable hunt with me catching a glimpse of a dominant 10 point nearly 200 yards from me standing in the thick bedding area. I only caught a glimpse of him before he disappeared in seconds. I shouldered my rifle and waited hoping he'd reveal himself. Thankfully the planets were aligned properly and he raised his head above the brush to nibble on a maple shoot about 6 foot above his head and I put a bullet right in the base of his throat and he dropped like a sack of potatoes.

In all we ended up with four whitetail but now I've limited out on bucks so its time to do some doe thinning. My population is getting out of hand and many of the doe dropped twins this year and the damage they are doing to crops is getting pretty expensive so I need to harvest at least 20 doe just to keep things from getting worse than it already is.

Ground 40 lbs of burger yesterday and did an experiment that turned out really well yielding burgers that were very moist and beefy. What I did was mix 30% beef fat to the venison and ground this through the 3/8" plate then ground a third of this through the 1/8" plate then mixed all this together well then ground all of it again using the 3/8" plate and the end result was what I think is perfect burger for hamburgers cooked on the grill or a skillet.

Here is the final grind.

These are the burgers I made from the horn mince. I got this idea from the food lab and what they claimed was by grinding a portion of the meat with the fine plate this will keep the juices from draining out if you cook on charcoal. However, they found if you cook only on a pan then the courser grind is better but I split the difference and did this and am well pleased with the results. I can't tell this from ground chuck you buy in the store which is a good thing when it comes to my wife who still sees Bambi when we eat venison - but she's coming around.

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Mon Nov 27, 2017 14:43

Seasons pretty well done. My daughter came down this past weekend for the last weekend of the season. She harvested a nice little buck. We saved the liver and are going to try a liver wurst. My friend that just opened a new sausage shop here has a very good recipe from back in Germany. It uses 20% liver, Our old butcher shop/plant burnt down this year and that has been a huge loss to the area.
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Nov 27, 2017 18:01

I'm currently visiting family in Saskatchewan and this past weekend my brother in law and two nephews each harvested a nice white tail buck. Limit in their area this year is only one, but one of the nephews also shot a couple of mule deer does in the south west, so they have enough. I'll be taking some of the meat home and it looks like we will have venison sausage for Christmas. :smile: Just don't know which recipe to make. I also took one liver and will be trying my first liver sausage made from deer meat. I am consulting one of the experts on the Polish language forum as to what might be a good recipe. Will keep you guys posted. :grin:
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Tue Nov 28, 2017 02:30

Now I need to get busy with the sausage!!
Image[/img]
Image[/img]
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Tue Nov 28, 2017 02:33

redzed wrote:I'm currently visiting family in Saskatchewan and this past weekend my brother in law and two nephews each harvested a nice white tail buck. Limit in their area this year is only one, but one of the nephews also shot a couple of mule deer does in the south west, so they have enough. I'll be taking some of the meat home and it looks like we will have venison sausage for Christmas. :smile: Just don't know which recipe to make. I also took one liver and will be trying my first liver sausage made from deer meat. I am consulting one of the experts on the Polish language forum as to what might be a good recipe. Will keep you guys posted. :grin:
Red I'll check with my friend to see if it's ok to share his dads Liverwurst recipe. If so I'll post it.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Nov 28, 2017 02:56

Yes, I would love to see that liverwurst recipe. Thanks :grin:
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Tue Nov 28, 2017 14:38

Here is the liverwurst recipe.

50% belly trim
20% liver
30% wild game
salt 15g/kg
cure #2, 2.5 g/kg
Black Pepper 7g/kg
Marjoram 3g/kg
allspice 1 g/kg
nutmeg 1 g/kg
thyme 1 g/kg
sugar 1 g/kg
ginger 3g/kg
1 onion (for a ten pound batch)
1/2 pound bacon (for a ten pound batch)

cube up the deer and belly trim and put in a pot with the onion quartered with enough water to cover. boil until cooked. Drop the whole liver into the water for 2 min to seal the pours. Now grind all the cooked meat and onion plus the liver and onion and the raw bacon through a 1/4" plate. Grind it a second time through a 1/8" plate.mix in all the spices and stuff into beef middles or 65mm fibrous casings. Poach in water for 1 hour. Chill and done, or if desired cold smoke for 2 hours.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Nov 29, 2017 03:25

Thanks Don, looks like great recipe. :grin:
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Wed Nov 29, 2017 04:31

I've had some my friend made with pork and beef, I'm going to make mine with deer this weekend!