Crazy question, I know....Philly cream cheese in sausage?

harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Crazy question, I know....Philly cream cheese in sausage?

Post by harleykids » Sat Dec 16, 2017 02:05

Going to do some experimenting with fresh sausages, and wanted to know if anyone has added cream cheese (like Philidelphia Cream Cheese) to fresh sausages?

Or is there a firmer cheese that would mimic the cream cheese taste, but not go completely gooey in texture?

I am thinking maybe substituting feta for cream cheese, and although feta is much saltier that cream cheese, it does hold up well in my fresh sausages and doesn't melt out, smear badly, etc.

Or I know it sounds weird, but anyone tried rinsing the liquid from large curd cottage cheese and using that in their fresh sausage mix? Wondering if the curds would hold together like feta does, and not melt away? Cottage cheese may be the closest taste substitute to cream cheese...

Wanting to do a cream cheese & jalepeno chicken sausage as well as a Mexican style elotes and chorizo sausage (cream cheese and cotija cheese would take the place of the lime mayo base) and wanted to know if anyone has tried using cream cheese in fresh sausages, or know of a replacement.

Thanks!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Dec 16, 2017 18:58

Cream cheese melts a a low temp. If you want the flavor I would warm, mix with a little milk or cream and blend into the mince.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Dec 17, 2017 17:53

I agree that the cheese will melt in the sausage, but might be ok in a fresh sausage as far as imparting flavour and texture. Rather than making a big batch of it, make a small test sample, shape into meat balls and bake at 155-160, until you reach 150 IT. That will give you a good idea on how the cream cheese performs.