Nanoose Bay Salmon and Prawn Sausage

redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 20, 2017 18:58

Making a fish sausage has been on my mind for a long time and finally last week I crafted a variation. I had a bunch of salmon from last summer to smoke and decided at the last moment to make a sausage out of the tails and bellies. The recipe is mine, but I was guided by fish recipes in the French publication The Professional Charcuterie Series, Vol. 1. The effort was definitely worth it. The sausage is light, has a delicate salmon taste and the sweetness of the local prawns comes through. It may not be for everyone, but if you are a seafood lover then this is the cat's pyjamas! Once poached the sausage can be served hot as part of a meal or sliced cold for an appetizer.

1.5 kg Sockeye salmon tails, 1kg Chinook salmon bellies

500g chopped raw Pacific prawns

Salmon with the added red onion, ground twice through the 3mm plate

Mixed with prawns and spices. Amounts for 1kg of batter: salt, 14g; fine sugar, 1g; white pepper,1.5g; sweet Hungarian paprika, 1.5g; hot paprika, 1g; fennel, 1.5g; red onion, (chopped and ground with salmon) 20g; 15g non instant skim milk powder; Cointreau liqueur, 20ml.

Poached for 30minutes at 85C

Bon Appetit!
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Dec 20, 2017 19:06

Wow that surely different and looks great! If its firm enough to be sliced into strips would make a fine addition to Sushi rolls.
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 20, 2017 20:45

Bob K wrote:Wow that surely different and looks great! If its firm enough to be sliced into strips would make a fine addition to Sushi rolls.
Very firm! The milk powder did its trick. :grin: