Venison Sausage

redzed

Venison Sausage

Post by redzed » Fri Dec 29, 2017 06:18

Just before Christmas I managed to crank out what turned out to be an excellent venison sausage made with 50% meat from a Saskatchewan White Tail, and 50% pork. Lean venison and lean pork, ( 25% of total), were ground with the 10mm plate, fatty pork and venison (60% of total) with a small amount of connective tissue ground with the 6mm plate, and venison high in connective tissue (15%) through the 3mm plate. I would have liked to have a larger percentage of the meat ground a bit coarser, but it turned out fine. The fat is barely visible and the sausage is soft and has a great mouthfeel.

Sausage was cured with 1.6% salt and .2% #1 for 4 days. Ingredients: BP .3%; garlic .4%; juniper berries, .15%; marjoram, .15%; all spice .05%.

Meat was from this buck harvested by brother-in-law

Smoked with cherry and apple pellets garnished with some juniper berries.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Dec 30, 2017 14:17

That looks great. And enough pork to keep it moist.
G pop
Beginner
Beginner

Post by G pop » Sat Dec 30, 2017 18:58

That makes my mouth water. I don`t know if adding juniper berries is an old or new idea
but I can`t wait to try it ! Love this website

Paul
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Dec 30, 2017 20:26

G pop wrote:That makes my mouth water. I don`t know if adding juniper berries is an old or new idea but I can`t wait to try it ! Love this website
Paul
Thanks Paul. The use of juniper berries a spice ingredient in sausage is long established in Central Europe and very common in Poland and Germany. A great number of venison sausage recipes from those countries have ground juniper berries in them. You just have have to be careful and not use too much. Smoking with juniper berries is also recommended, especially adding them during the last 30 minutes or so. The Germans and Swiss also like add a few juniper tree to the smoking wood at the end. I use German berries as an ingredient and berries I gathered in Arizona in the smoker.
G pop
Beginner
Beginner

Post by G pop » Sat Dec 30, 2017 22:19

Thanks for the reply, Ive used juniper berries as a spice but never used in smoking
with the pellets. I have the AMPS do I just sprinkle them on the top or put them together
at the end of a row ? I understand it`s a matter of taste just don`t want to over power.
I believe I read here about grinding juniper berries & blk pepper corns together that sounds great also .

Thanks again Paul