My fresh Mexican Chorizo recipe

harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

My fresh Mexican Chorizo recipe

Post by harleykids » Mon Feb 26, 2018 22:33

I have been making fresh Mexican Chorizo for many years, and thought you all might like to try some yourselves.
This is my go-to recipe and is extremely tasty!
Pimenton de la Vera is what I use, and it makes a great addition to this chorizo!
Guajillo and Ancho chiles give it depth, flavor, and fantastic color too!
This is not a spicy chorizo, but you can add a few small hot chiles, or use Pimenton de la Vera picante instead of dulce.

Easy and VERY tasty, especially when mixed with things like eggs, refried beans, potatos, cheese, etc. Can also be added to chili for great depth of flavor and color!

For the meat, I usually grind pork butt or shoulder, but when I don't have time I have been known on a few occasions to buy ground pork from my local butcher to use for a quick batch (shout-out to Steve's Meat Market - DeSoto, KS!)

This is a really great fresh sausage to make, and takes me all of 10-15 mins if I don't grind fresh and use pre-ground pork from my butcher. I don't stuff into casings, I just make a 2"-3" thick chub from cling wrap and refrigerate or freeze. Casings are kind of a waste IMHO for sausages that contain vinegar, as the vinegar keeps the meat from binding together, which is proper for good chorizo (crumbly, not bound together)

I plan on trying a tomatillo or two in place of the vinegar, hoping that may result in a case-able fresh sausage. Tomatillo is very vinegary/lemon-lime tasing, so it may give me the vinegar flavor profile while still binding together firmly. Then I will have a grillable chorizo link!
I will be trying this out in the next couple of weeks so I will be ready for Summer grilling!

Here you go:

Mexican Chorizo

1 lb ground pork, beef, chicken, or turkey (raw)
3 dried Guajillo chiles
3 dried Ancho chiles
3 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
2 dried bay leaves, crumbled
1 tsp dried Mexican oregano
2 tsp paprika (pimenton de la vera, dulce or picante, or mix to taste)
2 tsp ground chile powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground allspice
2 tsp salt
1/3 c. apple cider vinegar

Remove seeds from dried chiles and soak in hot water for 20-30 mins until soft and pliable. Remove from water, discard stems and seeds and membranes
In a blender or food processor, combine soft chiles, all spices, and vinegar and blend well until smooth.
Add mixture to ground pork, mix well (use gloves, will stain your hands red), and wrap in cling wrap, case in hog casings, etc.
Chorizo is ready to cook!
I like to refrigerate chorizo for 2 days to allow flavors to develop, then freeze for storage. Sometimes there is none left to freeze, it goes fast! Thaw to use if frozen.
Knifeman
User
User

Post by Knifeman » Mon Feb 26, 2018 23:26

Harley Kids

Would your recipe be suitable to make into patties and freeze them ? Would you put the vinegar in if you were making patties ?
Thanks
Knifeman
harleykids
Passionate
Passionate

Post by harleykids » Mon Feb 26, 2018 23:35

Yes, patties work fine. Good chorizo is supposed to be crumbly so all the little bits get crispy. You can freeze in patty form, freeze in bulk, in chubs, etc. All good!
Knifeman
User
User

Post by Knifeman » Tue Feb 27, 2018 00:07

Thanks Harley Kids !

Will try that out soon !
Knifeman