Using binders when making sausage

redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Sep 20, 2018 17:28

Yes, but also don't forget the last step of "setting" the sausage. For fresh sausage that is best done in the fridge for several hours. And when cooking in your smoker, be careful not to over do it or else you will have a dry and crumbly sausage regardless of the bind at the start.
mski2

Post by mski2 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 15:57

That book by Rytek Kutas, toss it in the trash or use it to start fires.
Get Marianski's books
Mark
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 29, 2018 16:04

Hey Mark that is not a fair comment! While I disagree with some of the formulations in Rytek's book, and the "americanization" of many traditional sausages, on the whole the book is a valuable treasure trove of information about sausage making. I have successfully created excellent products based on what Rytek suggested and I consider the book a go to resource. Sure, it is not without faults, but can you name me any other book on the subject that passes every test? So let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater, and approach it with an open mind.
mski2

Post by mski2 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 17:24

I guess because I started this hobby with that book and was discouraged by the terrible sausage recipes,
if you follow them they taste worse than the crappiest rubbish in the store. I made his box cured bacon and smoked ribs and they were fine, one of the BIGGEST defects of the book is all volume measurements.
Good thing I found Poli's site and this one too.
The biggest reason I say firewood is if a newbie gets his hands on it they WILL be misguided.
Get Marianski's books

Mark