Chorizo Verde

STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Chorizo Verde

Post by STICKSTRING » Fri Jun 14, 2019 07:48

Hello all,
I made Chorizo Verde this evening after work and unfortunately quite disappointed with how it turned out. I’m not 100% sure if I made a mistake, failed to follow the recipe properly, or possibly the sausage turned out exactly how it was supposed to and I am not a fan of the texture.

This is the recipe I followed : https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausag ... rizo-verde

The texture of the sausage is EXTREMELY mushy, and soft. I attempted to fry a link in a pan, with no added oil, and the casing ruptured which I was expecting although the meat just crumbled out, and again, texture is extremely soft and mushy. I cooked another link but this time i started it in a pan with a small amount of water and watched it closely so the casing would not rupture, after the water had cooled off I slightly browned the casing and gave it another shot. This time the meat was much moister, better flavor, although very soft and mushy. Literally crumbled.

I followed the instructions to a T and did not change anything. I used high quality pork shoulder with a ratio of about 25% - 30% fat.

Has anybody made this recipe, and if so did you have similar results?

Thank you, Nick K
Agoracritus
User
User

Re: Chorizo Verde

Post by Agoracritus » Sun Jun 16, 2019 08:57

I’m not a sausage expert, by any means, but I think I might have an idea based on my personal experience with fresh vs dried ingredients.

After checking (several times) the recipe you referred to, I have to wonder about the fresh ingredients. I love Poblano peppers because they can add a lot of chili flavor to dishes, without adding a lot of heat. In fact, I always use quite a bit in my Pico De Gallo variations.

I also dry them in my dehydrator and grind them for a ready-made seasoning I use in a lot of my favorite dishes, like green curries.

The recipe that you cited calls for a LOT of fresh vegetables. Like Poblanos and Tomatillos that add up to a significant amount of extra water. (400 grams in a 1,000 gram batch?). That just seems like WAY too much water based vegetable juice for ANY kind of sausage to me??

Again, I’m no expert, and I’ve never actually tried making Chorizo Verde, but if I did, I’d definitely substitute dry ingredients for the fresh ones that this particular recipe calls for.

I hope my 2 cents is helpful. I know Chorizo Verde is a fairly uncommon and unique sausage, but I’m surprised that no one with more sausage making experience has chimed in on your post...
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Jun 17, 2019 03:30

I have seen this sausage in Mexican supermarkets, and I remember seeing it in one where only the farce was sold. Mexican sausages are often sold as additives and flavourings, rather than standing on their own And I suspect that Marianski's version of chorizo is just that. As to the mushy and soft texture, it's easy to understand why. There is 600 grams of moisture laden ingredients, including vinegar, added to 1kg of meat. With that kind of ratio there is no way you could achieve anything other than what you describe.
STICKSTRING
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by STICKSTRING » Wed Jun 26, 2019 06:37

Thank you all. A co-worker of mine, from Mexico made me a traditional “chorizo and eggs” dish with the sausage. It was unbelievable. Much better used as a ingredient versus a stand alone side as Redzed mentioned.
Thank you all,
Nick
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Jun 26, 2019 17:16

Most times when I make chorizo I simply stuff it in the plastic sausage bags since most people use it as a loose ingredient anyway and I can't see the point in wasting casings.