Sausage recipe for large diameter casing

bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Sausage recipe for large diameter casing

Post by bolepa » Tue May 19, 2020 16:20

Hi everyone! I hope you are all well and stay healthy....
I need an advice from you if possible - could you please help me with a Sausage recipe for large casing diameter 70-75 mm? I had this recipe before and used it for sausage approximately two years ago but cannot find it now... I am not talking about any particular recipe - just any recipe. I am going to use Class 1, 2 and 4 pork and beef. Will be using 70-75 diameter collagen casing. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you in advancce!
Butterbean

Re: Sausage recipe for large diameter casing

Post by Butterbean » Tue May 19, 2020 19:06

If its not just any recipe you are looking for and care to experiment I'd consider making something along the lines of krakowska. I've played around with making chubs for sliced luncheon meat and used that recipe as general guide. Found it best to cut the meat into chunks and cure the meats 2-3 days before grinding. What I found very satisfying is to make make a finely minced "glue" or emulsion from the fattier cuts and using around 10-20% of this in the sausage to bind everything together well which also seems to reduce air pockets in the chub. I also like to take different meats and grind them differently. I might use the 1" plate for the beef and the 3/8's for the pork or vice versa.

In my view, the resulting sausage has an interesting look when sliced. I've made this often using varying spice combinations and all have turned out well.
bolepa
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by bolepa » Tue May 19, 2020 19:13

Thank you very much Butterbean! This is what I was looking for.... the general idea... I really appreciate your input!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue May 19, 2020 19:20

Have fun with it. Be sure to make plenty of glue else you will have air pockets between the chunks and I've learned its best to be patient and cure the meats separately to extract the max amount of myosin to glue things together well. I've cut corners here before and wasn't to thrilled with results.
reddal
User
User

Post by reddal » Wed May 20, 2020 10:57

Butterbean wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 19:20
I've learned its best to be patient and cure the meats separately to extract the max amount of myosin to glue things together well.
I agree - curing the meat for at least 24hrs before adding spices and grinding definitely seems to improve the bind of dry cured sausages. A lot of recipes I see don't require this - they just say to mix the cure, spices etc with the meat immediately before processing. I'm surprised the advice to pre-cure the raw meat in small chunks isn't more universal - it seems to make the process a lot more reliable and less sensitive to amount of powder spices added, how the meat is processed etc.

- reddal