Another sausage saturday!

fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Another sausage saturday!

Post by fatboyz » Sat Dec 18, 2021 20:25

Today I made venison Italian sausage using another one of the spice mixes from Germany. Base spice then you add salt. I use this one for pasta sauces and for inside sausage rolls. Also made a batch of my venison Smoked Paprika jalapeno, chili Habanero cheese smokies and a new one, Filipino hotdogs! Same recipe but stuffed into a red casing that has dye in it and they stay really red after peeling. Made them for my friends Filipino wife. I got the casings from my German friend who now works at a small meat plant and they use these casings to make Filipino hotdogs for a Niche Market in Edmonton and Calgary which have quite a large Filipino Community.
These are the actual Filipino ones

These are mine before linking and into the smoker.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Re: Another sausage saturday!

Post by fatboyz » Sun Dec 19, 2021 01:34

Boy they sure are red! This is after they're peeled!
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Mon Dec 27, 2021 18:14

Wow, those are really red!
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Dec 30, 2021 04:30

How about the recipe for those Filipino hot dogs? The colour reminds me of sausages I saw in France where they like to dye the casings red in some sausages.
fatboyz
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by fatboyz » Fri Dec 31, 2021 03:51

Here you go Chris. This is my standard wild game Hotdog recipe. it is 75% wild (Could use beef) and 25% pork back fat. If I'm out of back/shoulder fat I use 50% lean wild and 50% pork Butt. Since I butchered a whole hog this fall I had a good supply of pork back and shoulder fat.
Recipe is for 1 kg.
750g Nice deer trim, some connective tissue and a little fat. Mix of front shoulder, neck and rib meat
250g pork back fat
15g salt
2.5g cure #1
2g sugar
3g white pepper
2g garlic
2g mace
3g Coriander
7g mustard powder
3g cutter phosphate
100g crushed ice

I grind the wild twice through a 6mm plate and the pork fat once through a 3mm plate. I make the emulsion with the deer and spices and 1/2 the ice. If the deer is really lean I add a little ice water to keep the emulsion from being too thick. I add the fat last and run it to about 15C. I have no idea where you could get the red hotdog casings from? I have no idea where the plant my friend works at gets them. They are about a 22mm. I like them a little better than the quick peel hotdog casing I usually use.
After stuffing I let them rest for a few hours then smoked them for 3 hours at 150F. After smoking I poached them to a 71C IT. Right after they come out of poaching I peel them (Bit of a PITA) then cool them in cold water. This batch really was red!
They are awesome with a nice bakery bun, fresh sliced onion, and homemade sauerkraut!
DanMcG
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by DanMcG » Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:37

Thanks for sharing your Hot Dog recipe Fatboyz!