Kiełbasa Chłopska (Peasant Sausage)

redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Apr 21, 2024 07:16

Kielbasa Chlopska is a classic Polish kielbasa which defines what many Americans imagine a “kiełbasa” should taste like. In Poland the term “kielbasa” translates to “sausage” and is simply an unmodified noun because there are hundreds of different types and styles of kiełbasy. The recipe and process that I used in making this particular version, is Kiełbasa Chłopska Szczepana from the Polish Wędliny Domowe forum main pages https://wedlinydomowe.pl/kielbasy/nietr ... a-chlopska . Szczepan who is the original author of this recipe is a professional sausage maker (masarz) in Poland and crafted this homemade version. This kielbasa has been made by thousands of forum members and has become very popular. My take on this sausage differs in that I didn't have any lean pork belly and made it entirely out of Class II pork from the hind leg and pork butt. What that refers to, is meat is with very little connective tissue, and around 25% fat content. I also upped, if only slightly, the amounts of some of the spices to suit personal taste. Note here that that is an authentic Polish kiełbasa, and not an American kiełbasa. There is is no mechanically separated poultry meat here, no milk powder, no soy proteins, no erythorbates, no phosphates, etc. etc.... Always keep in mind that the a recipe consists of not only the ingredients, but just as important, if not even more so, is the process. This is a very easy kielbasa to make, and the results will blow you away, whether you've been cranking and stuffing for decades or are new to the hobby. If you try it you will be rewarded! (Previously posted in the FB group the Polish Sausage Club) https://www.facebook.com/groups/5640560 ... 780121943/
Meats
Class II pork (from pork leg and butt)
Ingredients per 1kg meat
Salt - 16g
Cure #1 - 2g
Pepper, coarsely ground – 2.5g
Marjoram - 1.5g
Garlic, fresh finely chopped - 3g
Sugar - 1g
Water 75ml
Pork casings - 36mm
Instructions
Grind meats through the 8mm plate.
Combine the salt, curing salt, water and the remaining ingredients and thoroughly mix for at least 10 minutes is doing by hand.
Cover with cellulose film and place in the refrigerator overnight or 12 hours.
Next mix the meat again until it sticks to your palm.
Stuff into the casings. Use your favourite size natural pork casings or what you have on hand.
Condition the kielbasa for 2 hours at room temperature.
Smoke with warm smoke for 4 hours. Once the desired colour is achieved, poach the sausage in 75C (167F) water until you reach an internal temperature of 68C(154F). This should take about 20 minutes. Actually you don't have to be that precise. You can cook the sausage to anywhere from 67C-72C(152-162F) and it will be fine.
Cool in cold water for ten or fifteen minutes
The kielbasa is now ready. Hang to bloom at room temp for a couple of hours and refrigerate
SMACZNEGO!
Image Image
michi
User
User

Re: Kiełbasa Chłopska (Peasant Sausage)

Post by michi » Wed Apr 24, 2024 05:48

Those look gorgeous, thank you for the recipe! I've just put those on my TODO list :)

So, these are cooked and can obviously be eaten as they are. Is that how they are normally consumed in Poland, or do people also put them on a grill or fry them in a pan?
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Apr 27, 2024 20:16

This type of kielbasa can be eaten in many different ways, as is, in a sandwich, heated in water, fried with eggs, added to other dishes with cabbage, beans, soups and so on. Very versatile! If grilling we have to be careful to do it on low heat and not burn because of the nitrite content.
michi
User
User

Post by michi » Sat Apr 27, 2024 22:52

redzed wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 20:16
This type of kielbasa can be eaten in many different ways, as is, in a sandwich, heated in water, fried with eggs, added to other dishes with cabbage, beans, soups and so on. Very versatile! If grilling we have to be careful to do it on low heat and not burn because of the nitrite content.
Thanks for that, appreciate it! :)