Fermented pickles

DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Fermented pickles

Post by DLFL » Wed May 30, 2012 21:59

I have made a batch of fermented half sour pickles using Stan's chart for different types of dill pickles for my salt concentration from "Sauerkraut, Kimchi, Pickles, and Relishes" on page 58, I used 4% salt. To this I added garlic, cracked pepper corns, and coriander seeds.

The resulting pickles are crisp and salty. I quartered them after they were done fermenting. They are too salty for Brenda but just fine for me. I have one quart now soaking in a lower salt liquid to hopefully please her. I added some vinegar to the jars to stop the fermentation .

Dick

Never quit learning!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu May 31, 2012 03:45

That's nice work, Dick! Do you like Kimchee?
I had sauerkraut and dogs last night!
Fun to make your own stuff eh? :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Thu May 31, 2012 18:48

Nice lookin' pickles!

I see pickles in my near future as my wife has quite a variety of cucumber plants with blossoms.

However, Kimchi is next up.....

Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Fri Jun 01, 2012 15:35

Chuckwagon, kimchi is great. I will get to making it latter.
I will also make 3% half sour pickles next to see if she likes them.
Dick

Never quit learning!
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Sat Jun 02, 2012 01:07

Pickles look Great, My wifes grandmother used to make a fermented Bread and butter pickle I want to try and make.
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Sun Jun 03, 2012 02:02

Keymaster, I think that those may be my next project for pickles.
Dick

Never quit learning!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 07:25

Hey Keymaster, you wrote:
My wifes grandmother used to make a fermented Bread and butter pickle I want to try and make.
Any possible way to intimidate you into sharing the recipe? :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Sun Jun 03, 2012 15:12

Chuckwagon,
The wife tried for years to get the recipe from her grandmother and she finally gave us a recipe that tasted nothing like what her grandmother made and the wife cant even find that recipe. She passed away about 13 years ago... I am going to email my wifes uncle and see if he has the real McCoy recipe right now. I will update you on my findings.

Aaron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Jun 04, 2012 08:35

Thank you Keymaster
YooperDog
Beginner
Beginner

Post by YooperDog » Sun Jul 22, 2012 23:17

Maybe it is the lighting, but I was told that if there is still white (lines, spots) inside the pickles, meant that they needed more time in the brine. My great grandma had crocks going throughout her house when I was growing up. Great pickles and vegetables. Her English was about as good as my Polish at the time. Tried different incantations of recipes from her daughter, but never even close.

I imagine that these are refrigerated and not for long term storage. I have a new recipe of fermenting pickles going now in a crock, smelling pretty good. Will check in a day or two. Another batch of cukes are coming due in about the same time.

Keymaster if you ever did find that recipe I would be happy to try it.

Also, looking for a good fermented Bread and Butter recipe.
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:59

I just love fermented pickles. Almost as much as fermented sausages. Some of my friends call them medicine. :mrgreen:
I made them by the tons too. I had way too many pictures on my computer, so I deleted hundreds of them, and now I'm sorry. I deed the same thing in photobucket, and that was a mistake too. :shock:
So I just made some pictures for you now, and I still have 2 old(er) ones.
This one is made with bread.

And these are the older pictures. Note. If I want to keep them long time, I use potatoes instead of bread, because the juice stays clearer. I had some not so smooth potatoes at the time, so I just scrubbed them good.

******* because I don't use recipe, I don't have one......But I can write one when I get some extra time..... :wink:
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.