[CAN] Col. Big Guys Special Sausage

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jun 13, 2012 07:07

Hey Maz and Idakraut,
How about posting some photos of your progress as you make this stuff. That ol' codger Big Guy is gettin' to be a legend! Dang, he makes good sausage. I think he ought to write his own sausage recipe book eh?
Hey Maz, did you ever get your photo posting problems straightened out? I had trouble too. I finally had to give up on imageshack and open an account in Photobucket. It works just fine. You may wish to give it a try. Let me know if I can help.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Thu Jun 14, 2012 16:27

Will test Photobucket, the viewing problem that I had seems to be over unless everyone has stopped using them.Yea we should give him a run for his money he might just start getting bossy. :lol:
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Tue Jun 19, 2012 17:13

I finally got a chance to try this recipe. I really like it. It has a nice semi-sweet honey and garlic flavor and the whole spices are really nice. I was disappointed that the fermento did not add any tang that I could detect. The next time I think I will use T-SPX starter culture and use cure #2. Anyway, here are some pictures of my endeavor. I did add trehalose since I intend to freeze most of this and this disaccharide helps to preserve freshness in frozen meat products.

I added 2.5% trehalose to the mix (I only made 5 lbs of sausage using 3 lbs elk and 2 lbs pork butt).

I just got a Kirby mixer/emulsifier and wanted to test it out. I recently had surgery to reattach a torn biceps tendon so I can't do anything too strenuous yet. The Kirby mixer worked great, thoroughly mixing the sausage in less than 30 seconds. Plus cleanup was really easy. Can't wait to see how the stainless steel emulsifier blade works (will post later when I decide what to make).

Ready to stuff into 3.25" OD fibrous casings.

All stuffed and ready for the fridge for the next 48 hours.
Rudy
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Tue Jun 19, 2012 17:27

After resting in the fridge for 48 hours as per Col. Big Guy's recipe, I placed the sausage into the smoker. I also made some spicy and cheesy pizza rounds which I decided to smoke along with them. I am using one of the A-MAZE-N-PELLET-SMOKER trays and using pecan pellets for the smoke. This smoker is the cat's meow. I love it. I'll never use those expensive Bradley pucks again. BTW, my smoker is homemade using 3/4" plywood lined with aluminum sheeting.

Several hours later, I had a couple of visitors. Did not get any pictures of them trying to figure out how to open the smoker to sample my treats, but here they are after they decided to move to the front of my garage and head on up the driveway:

After smoking for about 5 hours at 150 F, I decided to finish off the sausage in a hot water bath to finish them.

After blooming and then an overnight trip in the fridge, I sliced it up. Tastes great, even without the tang I was hoping for.
Rudy
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jun 19, 2012 23:44

Wow, that is terrific lookin' work Idakraut. Say, isn't that a Chev 327-V8 power plant attached to that Kirby mixer? I believe Big Guy has got a winning recipe there! Nice smoker n' photos too!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Wed Jun 20, 2012 00:45

Chuckwagon wrote:... Say, isn't that a Chev 327-V8 power plant attached to that Kirby mixer?...

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
It sure seems like it. Actually it's a 79 buck Harbor Freight drill that works quite well. Gotta love power tools when it comes to sausage making.
Rudy
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 15:43

Great job although you did have an excellent recipe to follow. LOL
Col. Big Guy
Maxell

Post by Maxell » Wed Jun 20, 2012 17:36

Where can I buy a mixer? What are its parameters?
Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Wed Jun 20, 2012 23:47

Maxwell, Kirby can email the details of his mixer. Contact him at: kirby_campbell@yahoo.com
Rudy
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Jun 21, 2012 01:12

That power head looks a lot like my Mikita drill motor.
Ross- tightwad home cook
laripu
User
User

Post by laripu » Wed Aug 01, 2012 22:42

This is making me drool. It's almost supper time.
"Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine