In Montreal

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
laripu
User
User

In Montreal

Post by laripu » Wed Aug 15, 2012 03:28

I'm going to be in Montreal for a little while on business. Montreal is home to a variety of Romanian pastrami, known as "smoked meat" in Canada.

I'll be having some soon. :grin:

If you've never heard of it, imagine pastrami, but spicier, with more like a pickling-spice rub.

From what I understand, Montreal steak spice was originally one restaurant's response to a customer who wanted a steak to be seasoned like smoked meat. So it's the rub, plus salt which would have come from the cure.

The oldest and most respected place for smoked meat is Schwartz's , but I think they're over-rated and living on past glory. My favorite is Lester's. I've heard conflicting opinions on another place called Smoke Meat Pete. I'll try it, I think.

Of course YMMV.

For anyone in the NY area, a place called Mile End opened up in Brooklyn that makes Montreal smoked meat. (Mile End is also the name of the neighborhood in which I grew up in Montreal and home to both Schwartz's and Lester's. I was there last night. :smile: )
"Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Wed Aug 15, 2012 04:10

Are you going to hit up Au Pied de Cochon? I can still kick myself for not making the trek up there when I lived on the East Coast.
laripu
User
User

Post by laripu » Wed Aug 15, 2012 17:22

JerBear wrote:Are you going to hit up Au Pied de Cochon? I can still kick myself for not making the trek up there when I lived on the East Coast.
Unlikely. For $57 per person, I can do better than everything with maple syrup on it. They're a tourist trap.

Up in that area (about a mile) is Intermiel, a great meadery/apiarist/store. I may go there if I have time.

EDIT: By the way, in your area I've been to Coronado Brewing Company. Food and beer were both great.
"Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Wed Aug 15, 2012 18:13

Yeah, we're all about the beer here. I'll have to give Coronado Brewing a shot. I've been up to Stone brewery which was nice, pricey, but nice. I'd love for you to post some pictures from Intermiel, my buddy is trying to convince me to brew some cizer (cider/mead) this fall.
laripu
User
User

Post by laripu » Thu Aug 16, 2012 03:48

The smoked meat at Smoke Meat Pete was great, as good as the best I've had. The weird thing about this place is that it's a total dive... and because the owner loves blues, there are live bands every day.

The James Green Band, pictured below, played 45 minutes, and they were credible and interesting. Then it was open mike night and some horrible music started from audience members, but I had finished my meal and I left, smelling of wood smoke and very full. :grin: