Cranky Buzzard's Barbecue Workbook

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 04:41

Hey gang,
I'd like to introduce Cranky Buzzard and his "Cranky Buzzard's BBQ Workbook". The Big Bird has lots of tricks n' recipes for everybody. Be sure to check out his website at CrankyBuzzard.com
Cranky Buzzard wrote:
I drafted this for people that are new to BBQ. It is VERY basic in design, but it has gotten a lot of people to where they can cook a brisket or ribs. So far I've received feed back from several different continents with good results.
Click on this link to find the Cranky Buzzard BBQ Workbook http://bubbachow.com/workbook12_2010.pdf

Thanks Charlie (Cranky Buzzard) and may it never rain on your BBQ!
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Thu Jul 21, 2011 00:37, edited 3 times in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Maxell

Post by Maxell » Sun Feb 27, 2011 09:51

Cranky Buzzard, thank you for sharing Your book for our people on the forum. We will try to translate it to Polish language and for sure will be very useful for Polish forum.
BBQ in Poland only develops and your help in this very book.
Once again thank you very much.
Maxell
Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
BonAir

Post by BonAir » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:49

Thanks ! :smile:
Pozdrawiam
BonAir

http://wedlinydomowe.pl/forum/viewtopic ... 7286#47286
Co by tu jeszcze sprasować... ? :D
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Sun Feb 27, 2011 19:58

Part 1 Cranky Buzzard's BBQ Workbook

Smoking and Smokers

No I am not talking about sections at a restaurant I am talking about smoked meats!

A lot of people profess to know how to smoke meats. A lot of others wish they knew how to smoke meats. Smoking is not the art form that a lot of people make it out to be. To be successful at smoking you must have 3 things, the correct type of smoker, the correct wood(s), and patience!

The Correct Smoker

What makes a smoker the "correct smoker"? Simple, one that you can regulate the temperature on without a lot of hassle.

Smoking is a LOT different than grilling or barbecuing. With a smoker you are using indirect heat with smoke and sometimes water vapors. When smoking you want a bit of smoke, low temperatures, and a long cook time. When you are smoking, your end result should be tender meat with a distinct wood smoke flavor that is not over powering.

It doesn`t matter if you have a small vertical smoker or a trailer mounted 500-gallon tank when it comes to doing it right. I have cooked briskets, ribs, and chicken on both types, and several other types in between. The main 2 things are temperature regulation and patience.

What is the right temperature?

If you go out on the Internet and look for the right temperature to smoke with you will have brain overload shortly! Temperatures varying from 200 to 275 degrees will be stated. The correct temperature is simple; it is dependent upon your smoker. I have 3 smokers, 2 at the house and one at our place in East Texas. Each one smokes great somewhere between 225 and 250 degrees. That is a BIG variance for sure. It will take some testing and some possibly tough meats coming off the smoker to find out where your smoker is happy. There is no magic temperature; there is a range, 225 to 275 degrees with good almost clear smoke.

A BIG thing to remember about smoking foods... The ONLY thing you need with numbers on it while smoking is a thermometer! You simply cannot cook to time when smoking foods. For consistent meats you have to reach the magic internal temperature.

(Stay tuned for the next installment)

Maxell wrote:Cranky Buzzard, thank you for sharing Your book for our people on the forum. We will try to translate it to Polish language and for sure will be very useful for Polish forum.
BBQ in Poland only develops and your help in this very book.
Once again thank you very much.
Maxell
Maxell,

Thanks for your confidence!

Let me know if you need to raw Word document to make the translation easier, or if I can answer any questions.

Charlie
Last edited by CrankyBuzzard on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
Maxell

Post by Maxell » Sun Feb 27, 2011 20:08

Yes it is. :grin:
Best regards.
Maxell
Pod ten adres proszę przesyłać zdjęcia i teksty. Zdjęcia muszą posiadać szerokość co najmniej 800 pikseli - wysokość nie jest istotna - ważne by były dobrej jakości.
maxell11@wp.pl
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jul 21, 2011 00:33

Hi smoke sniffers and metka munchers!
Many of you might not be aware of Cranky's huge contribution called "Cranky Buzzard's Barbecue Workbook". Here's a handy link to the website...

http://bubbachow.com/workbook12_2010.pdf

Be sure to check out the pages of information that Charlie Taylor (Cranky Buzzard) has put together for our benefit.

Thanks again Charlie... uh... "Cranky" :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 01:05

Hi Charlie,
Thank you for putting your book on the forum. Where did you get all this spare time from?
Now the big question,
Do you have any objections if I print it out( just for myself) as I like to read it in my easy chair with my feet up.
You are a bloody wizzard!!!!!!
Best Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
CrankyBuzzard
Passionate
Passionate

Post by CrankyBuzzard » Thu Jul 21, 2011 02:02

Thanks for the kind words Jan.

Feel free to print it out, give it to friends, or download to your smart phone. It's free to use as you would like.

All I ask is that I get credit for the creation if you pass it along.

Have fun!

Charlie
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 04:00

Hi Charlie,
Tonight I will print it and hand some to my kids. What's a smartphone?? Man, I have a flip phone that is nearly as old as myself. My kids want to give me a new one. I just don't want it.
It took me long enough to be able to dial out on this one.
I need a mobile the size of a house brick. Just thinking about a bloody smartphone gives me high blood pressure.
Charlie, you will certainly become a much discussed and admired gentleman at our BBQ's.
Best Wishes,
Jan.
Brisbane.
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:29

Have just been killing some time before I go to work and found this topic. Wow I want to get into this type of smoking. Where to start I am not taking of a crowd?

Mark
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime