[USA] Traditional Kabanosy

Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

[USA] Traditional Kabanosy

Post by Baconologist » Fri Aug 31, 2012 03:27

Posted per request.

My Grandfather, who was a master butcher, moved here from Poland in 1960, this is the traditional kabanosy recipe that he handed down (slightly modernized to use nitrite rather than saltpeter and to meet current safety recommendations).

1000 grams of pork butt
18 grams salt
2.5 grams Cure #1
1.5 grams black pepper
.5 gram cracked caraway
.5 gram ground nutmeg
2 grams sugar

Grind pork butt through 3/16" plate.
Mix meat with ingredients only until well mixed, do not form a sticky bind.
Stuff into tender 22mm sheep casings only!
Form into 22-24" loops.
Dry at 38 to 40 degree F in a refrigerator for 12 hours or until dry to the touch.
Warm smoke for one to two hours, then heat in a 165 degree F oven until the internal temperature reaches 152 degrees F.
Dry at 55-60 degrees F and 75% humidity until weight loss equals 50-55%.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Baconologist on Mon Sep 17, 2012 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
Godspeed!

Bob
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 07:47

Thank you Bob, you made my day.
Best Regards,
Jan.
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Fri Aug 31, 2012 14:38

Here's a little bit of history from the European Council of Regulation.....

"Traditional method of production and storage:
Kabanosy, or thin, dried and smoked pork sausages in sheep casings, were eaten throughout Poland as early as the 1920s and 1930s. They were produced in small, local butchers` establishments under the same name, but in different regional varieties. The main differences concerned the seasonings used, but also the quality of the sausages themselves. The cookery books and food publications of the day, like M. Karczewska`s "Wyrób wędlin i innych przetworów mięsnych sposobem domowym", published in Warsaw in 1937, provided recipes and helped to standardise production techniques for "kabanosy", enabling brand consolidation and quality improvements. These sausages tasted good and preservation techniques like smoking and drying meant that they could be kept for long periods.
After 1945 standardisation was introduced in an attempt to improve product quality. "Kabanosy" were officially released for consumption by the Decree of the Ministers for Provisions, Industry and Commerce of 15 September 1948 (Journal of Laws 1948/44, item 334). Technological and production aspects were subsequently standardised (Standard No RN-54/MPMIM1-Mięs-56 of 30 December 1954), and in 1964 the Polish Meat Industry Headquarters in Warsaw issued a standard recipe for "Kabanosy" based on traditional production methods (Internal Regulations No 21).
"Kabanosy" were extremely popular during Communist times (1945-1989); everybody used to buy them. They graced elegant tables on special occasions and were equally suitable as picnic food for travellers, as gifts or as a snack with vodka. Together with ham and bacon, they also became a Polish export speciality.
Traditional ingredient - pork
"Kabanosy" are made from specially fattened hogs which used to be known as "kabany". The term "kaban" features in the 1834 epic poem "Pan Tadeusz" by Poland's national bard Adam Mickiewicz. Originally used to refer to wild boars, hogs and even horses, by the 19th century, according to the 1863 Encyklopedyja Powszechna, Volume 13, the term was universally used to designate a well fed, fat young hog. The hogs were specially fattened up to obtain delicate, exquisite meat with a high intramuscular fat content which gave the products made from it a strong, specific taste, tenderness and succulence. The term "kabanina", derived from "kaban", was also widely used. According to the definition in the Polish dictionary published in Vilnius in 1861, it usually referred to pork.
The meat of pigs kept for the production of "kabanosy" must have an intramuscular fat content of more than 3 %; this is the marbling that confers on the product the desired tenderness, succulence and excellent taste. The use of such meat has a decisive influence on the quality of the final product and its specific character, and is in keeping with the traditional method of production."
Godspeed!

Bob
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Fri Aug 31, 2012 14:51

I forgot to mention in the recipe that beech or oak smoke is what's traditionally used.
Godspeed!

Bob
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 18:31

Sounds like a great recipe. Going to have to try it. Thanks for posting it!
By chance do you have a Chunky Polish Sausage (Kielbasa) recipe in the family archive?
My sausage making quest started out trying to duplicate a Chunky Kielbasa that I used to get from a Polish sausage maker in Hamtramck (Detroit) Michigan who went out of business :cry: and to date have been unable to find a close recipe match :sad:
IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Fri Aug 31, 2012 18:55

Bob,
Thanks for the recipe as well. Did they ever use a starter culture for this? Just wondering how it would taste with LAB culture. Anyway, I see this is one of the recipes in the "B" project and look forward to trying it.

BTW, after looking at Stan's recipe as posted by CW, your recipe is similar but uses twice the sugar and half as much nutmeg and caraway. I'm tempted to go with your recipe.
Rudy
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Sat Sep 08, 2012 15:12

jbk101 wrote:By chance do you have a Chunky Polish Sausage (Kielbasa) recipe in the family archive?
Was it Kiełbasa krakowska ?
IdaKraut wrote:Did they ever use a starter culture for this?
Nope, never.
Godspeed!

Bob
nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Sat Sep 08, 2012 17:09

JBK, have to agree that it may have been Krakowska. Years ago I worked at a traditional market in Buffalo, NY with all kinds of butchers from Europe. We used to sell a sausage that was about 3 or 4 inches that had larger chunks of pork in it, which was called Krakowska.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Sep 08, 2012 18:51

Or it may have been kiełbasa szynkowa (ham sausage). There are actually a number of traditional Polish sausages that are made from cut, not ground, chunks of pork.
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:12

Kabanosy just cannot be beat! I've made some from the recipe listed in the Marianski book. It was excellent. Just the right amount of seasonings. I ate a lot of these growing up. (and out)!

This is what mine look like after smoked and drying for 4 days.

-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Gulyás
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Gulyás » Sun Sep 09, 2012 16:55

Hello.

I used to eat salami with big chunks of meat in it decades ago in Hungary Budapest. Also in about 1970 I was in Poland, in the city of Katowice.
We also have to remember, that sausage was made before they invented the meat grinder. They cut the meat with knife(s). And some people cut them small, others large, also depending on who had how much time for it.
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Sep 09, 2012 21:21

How did you dry them Nick?
atcNick
Passionate
Passionate

Post by atcNick » Mon Sep 10, 2012 13:50

redzed wrote:
How did you dry them Nick?
after smoking, I hung them in a dorm size fridge with the thermostat turned all the way up. It was around 50F and humidity around 80%. I opened the fridge door a couple times a day to air out.
-Nick
Custom R&O Smoker
Cedar Smokehouse
Weber Performer
Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold Kettle
Weber 18" WSM
Weber Smokey Joe
Lang 84 Deluxe w/chargriller SOLD
Cinder Block Smokehouse RETIRED
Baconologist
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Baconologist » Mon Sep 10, 2012 16:10

atcNick, the Kabanosy looks great!
Godspeed!

Bob
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 20:58

atcNick,
Your cabanossi's look fantastic. What skins did you use? I am about ready to make several kilo's.
Regards,
Jan