Online Workshop: Project B (August 2012)

jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 04:35

Hello All,
Just updating on my project B status. I have allot to get caught up on (reading wise) since I have had some issues with my Computer :cry: Having to resort to my back up system (laptop) :smile:

I did finally get into the City and able to find some Pasilla Chile's which will allow me to start on my Chorizo :grin: Image

I also decided to give my Csabai a taste :smile: I was surprised that it has a mild taste, was expecting more of a bite from the Paprika. Was not really sure what to expect since I never have had any prior to Project B. I like it and it reminds me of a slightly dryer version of polish sausage. When I make it again I would probably add some additional Hungarian Paprika (hot). Here is a picture of cut end (close up)

I also fried some up for Breakfast not being sure of the best way to use it, I did review some of the recipes posted but thought I would give frying some up with some potato's and eggs. Here are the pictures of the breakfast experiment. I really liked it prepared this way :cool:

Image Image
Image Image
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Oct 22, 2012 04:40

Maaa Maaa that looks good! Nice goin' John. :wink:
Hope you don't have big problems with your 'puter.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 07:06

Chuckwagon,
Thanks for the comment on my Csabai, Unfortunately the Computer is Dead (R.I.P.) :mad: :sad: Will be rebuilding it soon though with a new Mother Board, CPU and Video Card. Currently will turn on but will not load operating system. Have tried just about everything so instead of fighting it I am going to upgrade it to solve the problem.
John
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Oct 22, 2012 19:49

John, you're a true sausagemaker! ...smoke your sausage. ...smoke your computer too! :mrgreen:
(Sorry about that. "Get well soon.")
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Oct 22, 2012 20:04

A Job Well Done

Okay. ...so I admit it. The smoker session always goes longer than you figured it would.

You fix a sandwich, down it, and the sausage is still not up to finishing temperature. You fix a little bourbon, sit by the smoker, log the temperatures, and watch the sun go down. Then you fix another bourbon.

Smoke runs out, and the temperature continues to rise, as twilight falls. The stars come out. You fix another bourbon. We're getting close, now- - you rearrange things in the smokebox so the heat distribution is more even. The bourbon needs refreshing, too.

And at last, you hit target temperature. ...looks good, smells terrific, swims there amid the ice cubes while you clean up and "put all the toys away." Twenty minutes later, it comes out of the ice bath, gets dabbed dry, and goes into the refrigerator to hang all night and dry.

This is gonna be great! :mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 20:25

John,
Csabai lends itself very well to a large increase in stewed garlic, sweet and hot paprika powder, make sure it is genuine Hungarian though. Anything else is inferior.
It's all trial and error and what YOU like best.
I also add some chilli flakes and smoke them a mahogany colour.
Your breakfast looks great, I will copy it next week end.
Regards,
Jan.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 20:28

el Ducko,
Now you also have to learn how to become a hobby distiller and make a good bourbon and all the good things will be IN-HOUSE.
Good luck,
Jan.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Oct 22, 2012 22:46

crustyo44 wrote:el Ducko,
Now you also have to learn how to become a hobby distiller and make a good bourbon and all the good things will be IN-HOUSE.
Good luck,
Jan.
...think I'll stick to home brew beer. I had a colleague who was an analytical chemist, whose hobby was shooting various vodkas and scotches in a gas chromatograph. At the time, mid 70's, we were licensing a process to the Soviets. Some of their vodka was quite tasty, but you wouldn't believe the methanol (fore-cut) and the fusel oils (higher alcohols) that their domestic vodka had in it. Same way with the slivowicz that the Serbs used to bring. ...headache!

Nope! Beer and sausage for me! :mrgreen: (and an occasional bourbon.)

Hmmm... wouldn't a good smoky Islay single malt scotch be good accompanyment for smoking sausage?
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 08:04

Red, the texture looks great as far as I can see in the photos. Isn't it amazing how much a few days dehydrating can make? How would you rate this sausage overall with others? Are you about ready to kick it up one more step? Great photos Red. Great sausage too! Nice goin'.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Oct 23, 2012 08:20

SELF CHECKUP :mrgreen:

1. T F In the USA each year there are 325,000 people hospitalized for food poisoning.
2. T F In the USA each year there are 1,500 deaths due to food poisoning.
3. T F An obligate anaerobe must have oxygen to survive.
4. T F Cyanide is 500,000 times more toxic than clostridium botulinum toxin.
5. T F Nitrates and nitrites reduce oxidative rancidity.
6. T F Nitrates and nitrites inhibit the pathogenic growth of clostridium botulinum.
7. T F Cure #1 in the USA contains only a little over six percent pure sodium nitrite.
8. T F Cure #1 contains salt, sodium nitrate, and sodium nitrite.
9. T F Modern science has not produced a substitute for sodium nitrate or nitrite used to preserve meat and destroy clostridium botulinum.
10. T F Sodium nitrate must never be reduced by lactic acid bacteria (micrococcaceae species) or nitrous oxide will be produced.
11. T F Nitric oxide and nitrous oxide are the same thing.
12. T F If meat does not contain adequate numbers of staphylococcus and micrococcus to begin with, the curing process may be restrained.
13. T F Fresh sausage may be safely stored outside the refrigerator if Cure #1 is added to it.
14. T F In a cured-cooked-smoked sausage, the addition of sodium nitrite changes the entire structure of the meat.
15. T F Sodium nitrate/nitrite changes pork into ham.
16. Name two countries having massive amounts of sodium nitrate
17. Write the chemical name of sodium nitrite.
18. C.L. Griffith "fused" sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite with salt crystals for what purpose?
19. What does micrococcus spp. bacteria do to sugar to help keep meat safe?
20. Why does drying sausage help protect it from pathogenic bacteria?

____________Answers_____________________________________

1.T 2.T 3.F 4.F 5.T 6.T 7.T 8.F 9.T 10.F 11.F 12.T 13.F 14.T 15.T 16. Chile and Peru 17. NaNO2 18. To keep them from settling to the bottom of the barrel. 19. It produces lactic acid 20. Because they cannot survive below Aw 0.85.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Oct 23, 2012 15:22

Okay- - self checkup.
Self....? Check. Up....? reluctantly, but yup. :roll:
Okay- - ready for more sausage production.

Some random notes on the chorizo recipe:
(1) If you take a blender jar and measure everything into it, starting with the cure and salt (mix a bit, to dissolve), then grind up all the peppers and goodies, you get a nasty-looking... er... delicate-looking brown paste which is ideal for folding into the mince.
(2) Working the mixture a bit will stiffen it somewhat, but not like what you're used to. Not to worry! That's normal. (see elsewhere in the forum on reasons why. Think pH.)
(3) However much you stuff into casings, wipe it off and hang it in the refrigerator to dry for a day or so. When you pull it out, a sticky "pellicle" will have formed. That's good. Let it dry at room temperature until there's no condensation, before smoking.
(4) Don't neglect to hold some material back as fresh sausage. You'll like the flavor when scrambled with eggs (my favorite). :mrgreen:
(5) Chuckwagon recommends smoking with hickory (nogal). Personally, I prefer the taste of mesquite, but hey! This is about YOUR preference.
(6) As always, be careful while smoking so as not to get portions of the sausage too hot. I had to rearrange the meat in order to get it away from the heat source during the final ten degrees or so. (Temperature uniformity can be a serious issue in small smokers or with concentrated sources of heat, such as a hot plate.)
(7) Try that black bean soup recipe. It's really good.
:mrgreen:
Jarhead
User
User

Post by Jarhead » Tue Oct 23, 2012 20:29

CW or anyone?
I ground and mixed my csabai and kabanosy Saturday. I put it in zip lock bags and put them in the fridge. I forgot my tubes in MO. I ordered new stock plastic ones and they will be here tomorrow.
My question is, will the sausage still be good and ready to stuff or should I toss it and start over?
I'm lovin' this class. Thanks all for your contributions.
"Gunny"
FEC-100, 22" & 18" WSM, MB Gasser, UDS, A-Maze-N Tube Smoker
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Oct 23, 2012 20:52

Don't toss it!! :shock: If you are concerned that it is getting to being around too long make it into patties and cook it and the freeze it. :idea: It is always good for use as an ingredient. Remember some little piggy died so that you could make that sausage. You have to show some respect. :lol: :shock:
Ross- tightwad home cook
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Oct 23, 2012 21:23

This is what we had for lunch today, Duckie's version of Oaxacan Black Bean Soup made with the fresh chorizo. Did not have any fresh cheese to garnish it, so I used a dollop of sour cream, which complemented it very well. While making it yesterday I had some doubts, but the flavour improved greatly after it was tossed into the blender. After resting overnight, hitting it with some smoked sea salt and reheating, it's full of flavour with a delay in the heat from chillies. Thanks for the recipe and new culinary experience Ducko!
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Oct 23, 2012 23:55

...or you could split it, wrap the halves, put 'em on ice, and send 'em to Ross and me for proper evaluation and respectful disposal. :mrgreen:

:arrow: (Just kidding!) :!: