8 Smoked Chickens

sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

8 Smoked Chickens

Post by sawhorseray » Sat Oct 20, 2012 20:45

Safeway was selling whole chickens for 99≠ lb and I had a coupon for 10% off my entire shopping bill so I scored eight 5 & 1/4 pound whole birds. When I got them home I whipped up a double batch of CW's 7-up sauce, geezed them each with about eight ounces of solution, and had them soak over-night in my hill-billy refrigeration unit.
The next morning I was up at 5 am and had the birds rinsed, stocking'd, and in the smoker a hour later. I put them in to dry for a hour at 110°, raised the temp to 125° at put the applewood chips on for four hours, then raised the temp to 140° and put in another pan of chips, dampers closed. After four hours I removed the chip pan, flipped the switch from 625 watts to 1250, and raised the temp to 185°
ImageWhen I smoked four chickens like this s few weeks ago the entire process took anout 13 hours and I never had to raise the temp over the 185° mark to get the internal temperature of 162° for pull-off. With this load after 18 hours I raised the temp to 200°, and two hours later I jacked it up to 210° to finally attain a internal temp of 162°, total time in the smoker was 22.5 hours. I had no idea the extra load would require so much more time, finally had them resting on the counter and was able to crawl into bed at 4:30am.
I got up a couple hours later and threw the load of birds in the refrigerator, then went back to bed till ten. A little coffee and it was time to start processing some meat.
The great smoked flavor of these juicy birds had us snacking for brekky, only seven made it into the freezer.
I might have to stick to smoking four at a time in the future, I thought I'd have been done with the smoking 7-8 hours earlier. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Oct 20, 2012 21:35

it appears that you split them for freezing. Do you have room for them if you split them before they hit the smoker? They look grand. Chickens, being hollow, have to heat from the outside only but half chickens heat from both sides.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 22:09

Hi Ray,
Man, those chickens look great. Let us know what the taste is like. 7up still has me wondering what the end product will be like.
Regards,
Jan.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Oct 20, 2012 22:21

Ray, that is outstanding! What a hobby eh?
How was the final moisture content in the meat? If you stopped the cooking process at 162°, it should have been very nice. Most people just don't seem to realize that if the IMT goes beyond 170°, you might as well toss it. This is the reason so many inexperienced "homemakers" serve up dry, bland, turkey at Thanksgiving. Brining the bird in 7-Up and keeping the IMT below 170 is the true secret of happiness in life! :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Oct 21, 2012 05:18

Ross:
I split the birds in half because they fit into the shrink-wrap bag perfectly that way and take up less room in the freezer. Another factor is that a half chicken seems a perfect sized meal for either myself or my wife. She loves to bring a lunch the three days a week she goes to work to show off to the the girls how I cook and spoil her. Oh, I want to compliment you on those pork butts you smoked, they looked fantastic. I'm going to give that a shot soon and thin-slice them for sandwiches

CW & Crusty:
This is absolutely the juciest best tasting chicken on the planet, my wife said for me to tell that to CW. The brining solution is fool-proof and works every time. Another nice factor is that with the recommended dose and proportions four large birds fit perfectly in a 5-gallon bucket with enough brine left to cover them right to the top, kind of like it was planned that way.

What I don't understand is why doing eight chickens took me so much more time than when I did four. My smoker is rated to be max'ed out right at 40 pounds, which is where I was at. I'm just figuring that a smaller load takes less time, tho going into it I thought 8 birds would take the same amount of time and heat as four. That was not the case, but it all came out great just the same. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Oct 21, 2012 06:43

Ray, I thought that you had the Pro Smoker 100, rated for 100 lbs? I'm interested in this because I'm considering picking up one this winter when doing time in Arizona. I have 13lbs of sausage in my Bradley at this very moment and the IT is stuck at 142. I started the smokin process nearly 7 hours ago! And I want to go to bed!
Chris
BTW, those yard birds look amazing!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 08:14

That's called "smokehouse stall" boys.
Rytek Kutas once made a video about it. When he moved back to Buffalo from Las Vegas, he had so many people writing to him that he felt that he had to clarify the smoking process a little. Most people were trying to rush the smoking process. They would swear up and down that they followed his instructions to a tee, yet they had liquefied fat running out of their sausages and onto the floor of the smokehouse. Rytek didn't have much sympathy for those who could not be patient and slow the smoking process. He finally showed everyone how he raised the SHT only two degrees every 20 minutes and pointed out that it still took him 9 hours to finish a batch. The stall occurs just before it finishes. The problem is... everybody wants to go to bed and most try to rush the process just a bit right at the last part of the heating. This, of course, "breaks" the fat and transforms the meat magically into sawdust. Believe it or not, MOST people experience this first hand before they finally "get it".
So shucks Red, stay up and watch a good video. I put in taped baseball games and relax while the sausage takes all the time it needs.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:11

Hi,
I searched for the smoked chicken 7UP ingredients and came up with nothing.
CW where is it listed. I am definitely getting ready to smoke some, to pacify my old girl.
Regards,
Jan.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Oct 21, 2012 16:31

redzed wrote:Ray, I thought that you had the Pro Smoker 100, rated for 100 lbs? I'm interested in this because I'm considering picking up one this winter when doing time in Arizona. I have 13lbs of sausage in my Bradley at this very moment and the IT is stuck at 142. I started the smokin process nearly 7 hours ago! And I want to go to bed!
Chris
BTW, those yard birds look amazing!
The specs for the Pro 100 read as follows:
The Pro 100 will hold:
2-12-15lb hams
25-3&1/2lb Summer Sausages
30-40- lbs fish, cut into chunks

The 8 chickens I have hanging in the picture come in right at 42 pounds, and as you can see there's not a whole lot of room to spare. I was thinking that maybe the fact some of the heated air and smoke being displaced by four more chickens made the process take so much longer. Chris, I can't recommend this unit highly enough, and if you decide to buy one you won't be disappointed or have any regrets. The fact you can flip a switch and the unit goes from 625 watts to 1250 watts is a real bonus when you want to use it as a roaster as opposed to a smoker. Between CW's recipes and the cooking time and temp recommenations on the PS Seasoning website it makes every effort a slam-dunk success. Hey, they even used my review on their site!

https://www.psseasoning.com/index.cfm/a ... ct_id/1984

PS: The Pro 100 from Cabelas and from PS Seasonings are the exact same thing. When I was at the Cabelas in Reno a couple weeks back they were selling the Pro 100 for $1,199, $200 off. RAY
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Sun Oct 21, 2012 16:35

crustyo44 wrote:Hi,
CW where is it listed. I am definitely getting ready to smoke some, to pacify my old girl.
Regards,
Jan.
Chuckwagon`s "Smoke n` Choke Turkey
(Delicious, Moist, Smoked Turkey)

2 gallons water
1 gallon 7-Up™ (soft drink)
2-1/4 cups powdered dextrose
1-1/2 cups salt
1 cup Prague Powder #1
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Oct 21, 2012 17:19

Thanks Ray, I hope they will be again on sale in January - February. My intent would be to pick one up an Oregon store and that way I would not have to pay any sales taxes. I still have a ton of Bradley pucks left, so will try to use them up. Today I am fermenting salami in the smoker and it's going well temp and humidity wise.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Oct 25, 2012 00:35

Crusty, you wrote:
Hi,
Regards,
Jan.
Hey, hey, crusto robusto!
Here is the 7-Up recipe for fowls that you`ve been looking for. It was written for turkey but it sure works on chickens as well. Click on this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4837

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Oct 30, 2012 05:27

Chuckwagon wrote:...Here is the 7-Up recipe for fowls that you`ve been looking for. It was written for turkey but it sure works on chickens as well. Click on this link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4837
We had friends over tonight. They loved the chicken done this way. We were all surprised at the outcome- - I figured we'd taste the 7-Up, so I laid in a bottle of Seagram's 7...

After smoking, I took the internal meat temperature on up to 170 deg.F. (...I think. The Seagram's was having an effect by then. Best way to smoke the bird: have the 7-&-7's BEFORE the smoking/cooking is finished.) This was without a doubt the most moist roasted chicken that we've ever had, and it tasted like... well... chicken! ...not like dried chicken, not like 7-Up, but just really flavorful chicken-flavored chicken.

We'll definitely do this again. Next stop: Thanksgiving turkey breast. :mrgreen:

...got a good stuffing recipe? (It will, of course, involve corn bread.) ...and a rice dish. (Ducks LOVE rice.) :lol:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Feb 23, 2013 03:50

Finally got around to doing a couple of yard birds a la CW 7-Up style. Turned out fab, and even the project volunteers enjoyed it. When I went to check on them they were doing the chicken dance!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Sat Feb 23, 2013 03:59

Gravity defying chickens. Does that mean that you loose weight when you eat them? They look very good.
Ross- tightwad home cook