Beginner

Post by bkamp » Sun Nov 04, 2012 22:54

Great idea Ross!!!!

bkamp
bkamp
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bkamp » Fri Nov 09, 2012 01:57

What temp should chicken be done at. Do i also look for 160 deg. Any other diffrences on cooking temps and times?

bkamp
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Nov 09, 2012 03:27

bkamp wrote:What temp should chicken be done at. Do i also look for 160 deg. Any other diffrences on cooking temps and times?
bkamp
Our beloved moderator sez, in part:
"Gradually, raise the smoke house temperature to 180° F. (82°C.) and maintain the temperature until the internal meat temperature reaches 160°F. (71°C.). Many folks prefer to finish baking the bird inside their home ovens following the initial smoking, serving it fully cooked. This is a moist and tasty option to the traditionally roasted Thanksgiving turkey... when not overcooked! Remember the "carry over effect" in which meat will continue to climb in temperature when removed from its cooking heat source. Removed from the oven when the meat temperature registers only a few degrees slightly above 160°F. (71°C.), turkey will generally continue to cook until it registers 170°F. (77°C.). Cooked further, the meat will be dry - most unprofessional! Use a dial meat thermometer, inserting the stem close to the ball-and-socket joint of the thigh, as this is the last place the meat becomes thoroughly cooked."

He further cautions that cooking it past 175 deg.F results in a dry bird. I pulled my test chicken at 180 without consequence, but now I have to be careful looking around corners in case someone is stalking me. (BTW it was great. We'll do it again for Thanksgiving. ...at 170.) I cooked the chicken on a ceramic "beer can chicken" rig with chicken broth in the juice well, then made gravy with the drippings. We have a larger version for turkey. It oughta be great!
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Nov 09, 2012 03:58

Those Aussies make quart size beer cans. Fosters i believe.
Ross- tightwad home cook
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 05:11

Those king size beer cans are used for our Scrub Turkeys.
Ross, all crap aside, I don't think the big cans are made anymore, maybe for export?
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Nov 09, 2012 05:37

I haven't seen any for years. And worse, half of the people that call themselves men drink "lite" Beer. I think that is beer flavored water.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Nov 09, 2012 08:05

Duck, you wrote:
I pulled my test chicken at 180 without consequence, but now I have to be careful looking around corners in case someone is stalking me.
Uhhh, yup, you'd better believe it, pilgrim! Don't make me use UPPERCASE! :shock:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sun Nov 11, 2012 05:03

If you don't mind, can you post your 7-UP cocktail brine. The wife was talking to me about what to put in the brine. Have to get a pickle pail.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Nov 11, 2012 06:37

Mike ol pard, I`m glad you are going to make some brined bird. If you ever need a recipe in a hurry, just go to Hyde Park and look in the "sticky" section at the top of the page. That`s where the link is for our "Members` Recipe Index" (MRI). That index is in two parts - the first is meat-related sausages and dishes, and the second index is for recipes for other products. Here is a quick link to the 7-Up Turkey brine. http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4837
There`s a lot more information in the text boxes below the recipe too. Good luck Grasshopper.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
bkamp
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bkamp » Mon Nov 12, 2012 00:28

I tried the turkey brine recipe to practice on a chicken, even though I have never been a chicken fan Ill have to say this is the best chicken I have ever ate. Here are a couple pics
Thanks
bkamp

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Nov 12, 2012 04:13

grasshopper wrote:...7-UP cocktail brine... Have to get a pickle pail.
I brined my practice bird in an oven-proof baking bag, to reduce the amount of brine needed as well as to make sure the bird was submerged. Try putting yours in an oven bag, then putting the bag in whatever container you want.

Oh, yeah- to determine how much brine you need, put the turkey into the bag (emptied of neck and giblets, of course), then fill with water to completely fill and submerge the bird. Pour out the water into a measuring cup. That, plus a little, is all the brine you need. The reason- - the internal cavity is fairly big, and we're only talking about a 10% or so exchange of fluid, so the composition doesn't change much, and the cure concentration remains more than adequate for protection during smoking. :mrgreen:

Uh... CW, shouldn't this post (and Grasshopper's) probably be moved to the turkey brining discussion?
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 06:14

Glad you liked it Bkamp. Thanks for responding.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
w1sby
Beginner
Beginner

Post by w1sby » Wed Nov 21, 2012 22:49

CW and the group:

I treated a turkey to the "Smoke n Choke" method over the weekend. It took FOREVER to come up to temperature, total cook time was about 14 hours.

HOWEVER I am not complaining one little bit, the results were so good! Great smoke penetration, excellent moisture, finger lickin' goodness.

I can't wait for my families reaction. :grin:

Thanks for the technique!

I am of course using Alton Brown's Good Eats Roast Turkey brine for the big bird. I've been using his recipe for years to rave reviews, why change now?

Happy Turkey Day y'all!
bkamp
Beginner
Beginner

Post by bkamp » Thu Nov 22, 2012 13:54

Chuckwagons turkey recipe in the smoker, my mouth is waterin already!!!!

orf
User
User

Post by orf » Thu Nov 22, 2012 16:55

we're having turkey day tomorrow due to work so, for CW's 7up brine would I use the cure if I'm roasting not smoking the bird?orf...
there are no stupid questions but some of mine come pretty close