Smoke Generators - Venturi Type

Seminole

Smoke Generators - Venturi Type

Post by Seminole » Thu Dec 08, 2011 21:49

We have been experimenting with venturi smoke generators and found them reliable and working well. A new section Smoke Generators has been added to our site. We hope you will find the information useful.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/smokehouse ... -generator

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/smokehouse ... ctory-made

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/smokehouse ... /home-made
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Dec 08, 2011 22:27

This would be needed if the smoke source and the smoking chamber were on the same level? Yes?
Ross- tightwad home cook
jbk101
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jbk101 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 00:04

Seminole wrote:We have been experimenting with venturi smoke generators and found them reliable and working well. A new section Smoke Generators has been added to our site. We hope you will find the information useful.
This is a great addition :!: I have been researching various models so that I can do some cold smoking in my smoker. I really like the design of Rator homemade version.
Thanks
John
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 00:41

I have purchased the large venturi type smoke generator from New Zealand to be fitted to my new large smoker I am working on.
It was tried in my old smoker and worked extremely well. Wood chips, saw dust, small chunks or a mixture of all these worked without any problems.
My new smoker should be ready sometimes in January and is a converted bakers dough prover, all stainless inside and out and fully insulated.
Heating will be an electric coil coupled to a temp controller or maybe a gas burner, not sure yet what to do, the latter could be harder to control.
At least I will have enough room to hang a decent amount of Snagmans Csabai, hams, bacon and biltong as well as other goodies.
For the biltong I will incorporate several small 240V computer fans to extract the air for drying the beef strips. This set up will be easily removeable for when I smoke.
Any suggestions on how to improve this set-up will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Jan.
Brisbane.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Dec 09, 2011 00:56

Does the amount of creasote depend on the type of wood or the burn temperature?
Ross- tightwad home cook
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Fri Dec 09, 2011 02:38

I also had been having problems with smoke generation. My first attempts were using chips,which I found to be a bit pricey. My next try at chips was to see if I could find hickory, oak ,apple logs and try to make my own chips.Well I soon found out that making my own wood chips took quite a bit of malt beverage,especially if a few friends stopped over to help.I also found that it was better to have access to the smoke source without having to open the smokehouse door.Smokehouse temperature control also was a problem. One of the problems was solved when I found a great source for smoking. We have a company in Butler Wisconsin by the name of" Frantz" who manufacture smoking sawdust for commercial sausagemakers. It is called "wondersmoke" and it is available in 40# bags. The nice thing about that is it is a very consistent product . I've also purchased the smoke generator and smokehouse temperature control kit from the sausagemaker. Now I am getting a more consistent product. The biggest challenge now was teaching myself how much water to add to get the proper amount of consistent smoke.

John
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Dec 09, 2011 03:11

Partycook, Power tools are a big help when it is time to make little ones out of big ones. A large gradient also makes the placement of the fire and the smoke house less complex. I have always thought that the smoke chamber should just be a wide place in the chimney. One of the first things I ever learned was that smoke goes up.
Ross- tightwad home cook
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 04:36

SausageBoy wrote:I haven't been very impressed with these.
I have a Smoke Daddy.
While they do generate smoke, the also generate a lot of creosote, so require a very thorough cleaning after each use.
They're an all around pain-in-the-behind.

The maze-type smoke generators are a better option, IMHO, they generate beautiful smoke and no creosote.
They're a pleasure to use.
Second that motion !!!! Terrible creosote generators, no matter what you do, mix chips,dust,pellets, all the same result. Mine is for sale, used three times (still with a factory warranty!) :lol:
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 06:34

partycook wrote:I also had been having problems with smoke generation. My first attempts were using chips,which I found to be a bit pricey. My next try at chips was to see if I could find hickory, oak ,apple logs and try to make my own chips.Well I soon found out that making my own wood chips took quite a bit of malt beverage,especially if a few friends stopped over to help.I also found that it was better to have access to the smoke source without having to open the smokehouse door.Smokehouse temperature control also was a problem. One of the problems was solved when I found a great source for smoking. We have a company in Butler Wisconsin by the name of" Frantz" who manufacture smoking sawdust for commercial sausagemakers. It is called "wondersmoke" and it is available in 40# bags. The nice thing about that is it is a very consistent product . I've also purchased the smoke generator and smokehouse temperature control kit from the sausagemaker. Now I am getting a more consistent product. The biggest challenge now was teaching myself how much water to add to get the proper amount of consistent smoke.

John, Please elaborate on what you mean by "how much water to add to get a proper amount of smoke"
John
snagman
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by snagman » Fri Dec 09, 2011 06:38

The smoke generator made by A-MAZEN Products in the US is as its name suggests, a really amazing smoker. There is a model for dust which is supplied by them, and a new one which uses pellets. Both set-and-forget, and no creosote, and they are not expensive.
Marty
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Marty » Sun Jul 29, 2012 23:43

Just going to revive this sticky a little with a quick question regarding creosote generation.

I bought one of these things http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living/fo ... 450319.htm (If the link stops working - do a search for "Smokai" at TradeMe New Zealand) and yes - they are perfect creosote generators. They also puff out a very nice, steady stream of smoke. With an variable speed air pump they do great.

Has anyone has much experience cleaning these things and trying to remove caked and burnt creosote though? I soaked mine in hot soapy water to little or no avail, even with a wire brush the creosote was not going anywhere. I tried mineral turpentine soaking as well, but that only picked up the lighter, non-burnt bits. Short of sanding it out I'm not sure what else to try. And no - I would love an amaze-in, but I can't afford one and I can't get pellets in NZ.

Maybe I need to use my other barrel like the one at the bottom of the page on http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/smokehouse-plans ! :wink:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jul 30, 2012 00:10

Creasote will condense on any cold surface and is quite durable. It is widely used as a wood preservative for this reason. generally the cooler your smoke is the more readily the creasote will condense out of the stream. Once out you pretty much have to reheat it to get rid of it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Marty
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Marty » Mon Jul 30, 2012 00:15

"Quite durable" indeed! I might have a little go with applying a bit of heat in a test area and see what happens. A light sanding every now and then is looking more and more like the way to go... :)
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Jul 30, 2012 00:47

Try boiling water. Or a very hot smoker and a fine mist spray.
Ross- tightwad home cook
orf
User
User

Post by orf » Mon Nov 12, 2012 16:07

Her's some pic's of my version of a smoke generator.questions or comments welcome. orf...Image
there are no stupid questions but some of mine come pretty close