Photo of food not meat

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Nov 06, 2012 19:26

huckelberry wrote:6Th's ... I like 4th's with a big scoop of homemade vanilla icecream :shock:
That would be 2000 calories. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ross- tightwad home cook
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Tue Nov 06, 2012 22:32

2000 calories of pure heaven. :mrgreen:
Don't take life to seriously.
You're not getting out of it alive!
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Nov 07, 2012 18:09

ssorllih wrote:Ray, you know that the pie is perfectly fine food but not after a meal. It is the meal.
Breakfast of champions! Big slice of pie and a glass of cold milk, pure heaven. I haven't made a pie now since mid-July when the blackberries were ripe. They grow wild on the side of the country roads around here and all you have to do is park and start picking. My wife doesn't eat pie, tho between my father-in-law and I a pie has never lasted more than two days. I picked up four pineapples last week for 99≠ each and they are just about perfect right now, but I've never heard of a pineapple pie. They go on the dehydrator tomorrow, I WILL come up with a recipe for pineapple sausage sooner or later. I will! RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 18:57

Hi Ray,
A mate of mine made Pineapple sausage all the time. It's easy as chips, he used fresh or canned pineapple, finely chopped, pork, scallions (spring onions) inluding the green tops and cheddar cheese ( not the matured style) and a standard plain pork sausage meal mix.
They certainly look good with the small pieces of green onion tops and cheese bits and taste great.
Good Luck.
Jan.
huckelberry
User
User

Post by huckelberry » Wed Nov 07, 2012 21:05

There's always a pineapple upsidedown CAKE! AWESOME with a big glass of milk also. Mmmmm Mmm :mrgreen:
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Nov 08, 2012 04:56

Any kind of upside down cake.! :grin:
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Dec 11, 2012 02:22

We need some bread to go with all of the sausage Image.
Ross- tightwad home cook
huckelberry
User
User

bread

Post by huckelberry » Tue Dec 11, 2012 08:50

Is that some of your sour dough? Man it looks great!
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Dec 11, 2012 14:29

just common yeast bread.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Dec 12, 2012 09:22

Yup, that's mighty 'perty stuff there, pilgrim! :roll:
Really Ross, the crumb and texture look marvelous. Shucks ol' pal, you are leading us to believe that you've done this before once or twice! :wink:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
laripu
User
User

Post by laripu » Tue Dec 25, 2012 20:37

There are a few Chinese groceries in Tampa. There's one I like that has great produce, including the biggest carrots I've ever seen. Usually big veggies don't taste as good, but these are fantastic. The one pictured went into a beef stew. They also have huge bundles of inexpensive fresh dill, which I use when I make gravlax (aka lox). I think they're supplied from someone's garden.

The banana and garlic next to it give you an idea of the size. (Edit to add: I've cropped the picture, reduced it, and modified brightness and contrast. I haven't in any way altered relative sizes. The carrot really was that big: 2.5 inches across at the widest point.)

When vegetables make men feel inadequate:

"Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine
laripu
User
User

Post by laripu » Tue Dec 25, 2012 20:57

Over the holidays, since I had some time off work, I've been working pretty hard at home. I brewed a batch of beer called GOMBA (Grumpy Old Man's Bitter Ale - named after me :mrgreen: pictured below). I brewed a batch of agave cactus mead. The beer will be ready in three months, the mead in a year.

Then there was 10 pounds of sausage: 5 pounds of chicken/apple in hog casings and 5 pounds of garlic beef sausages in lamb casing (which kept breaking on me... very frustrating).

On a whim, I bought one of those fake fireplaces which produce an image of flames. It was some work to install it in our fireplace, crawling into the soot to unscrew a bunch of screws, then ripping out metal with my bare hands (I'm too old for that!). Real fireplaces are of no real use here in Florida.

My wife has been baking like mad, because grandchildren (and their parents :smile: ) are coming to visit.

Here's GOMBA the beer. A day after this was taken, the foam was blowing off vigorously into the gallon reservoir on the side.

"Dort, wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." - Heinrich Heine
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jan 08, 2013 22:39

Life is good when you have the time and the means to cook. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook