The Bresaola Experiment

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

The Bresaola Experiment

Post by Devo » Sun May 27, 2012 21:29

Started this on May the 15th. Bresaola
Bresaola is just simply cured and then air dried lean beef. For this one I used the eye of round. The recipe I follow for my bresaola is that from Ruhlman`s Charcuterie book.

I stuffed the meat into a beef bung casing after curing and before air drying. This helps slow down the drying process, and helps prevent case hardening (where the outside of the meat dries out too fast, becomes hard and stops the inside drying out properly). If I had someone video taping this part you guys would have split a gut laughing at me fighting that thing to get inside the casing. ;D

After the curing stage you have to rinse it off and air dry for a few hours.

All stuffed inside the bung. Make sure you prick any air bubbles, you don't want air bubbles.

Got the netting around it and off to be hung for 3-4 weeks. This weighed in at 1561g green weight. Hang at 55F and 80% humidity for at least a month - until it has lost 40% of its original weight. This will also get a good spray of Bactoferm Mold-600 tomorrow. The spray is composed of a bacterial culture that`s sole purpose is to ensure the beneficial surface mold wins the battle over the pathogenic bacteria and will also slow down drying so not to get case hardening.

Should end up with a nice little plate like this

Now I was going to smoke the other half of the eye of round but the weather is not co-operating. Major thunder storms and rain. Actually under a flood watch for most of the region. :o

So off the the slow cooker it went

Thanks for reading. Update in a month ;)
Keymaster
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Keymaster » Mon May 28, 2012 13:49

Looks good Don, Can't wait to see the finished product!!
DLFL
Passionate
Passionate

Post by DLFL » Mon May 28, 2012 16:00

Not sure why but the post I made yesterday did not show up. I must of hit the wrong button.
My mouth is watering!!!
Dick

Never quit learning!
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Thu Dec 13, 2012 18:15

Hey Devo, How did this turn out? How long was it drying for? Was it as expected taste wise? got any pictures? I have one of these in the chamber now for about 2 weeks, and was just wondering how yours turned out? Tim
Smokin Don
User
User

Post by Smokin Don » Thu Dec 13, 2012 18:51

Does that ever look delicious! Your plating makes it, great photo! Don
I am not aging, just marinating!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 19:30

Hi Devo,
Looks great!!!!! The pictures are certainly helpful to a beginner like me.
Thanks for sharing.
Jan.