Jerky And Biltong

SikaStag
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SikaStag » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:47

Colin. I have CNN on and they are saying there may be some high waves but nothing that will cause damage like the devastation that Japan has experienced. I am sure your son will be ok.

Fingers crossed that other countries will not get hit as bad as japan.

What's the world coming too. It makes you stop and think. Nature is so furious, we can not defend against such a fury. Frightening.

Ian
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

[CAN] Steelchef's Perfect Jerky

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 11, 2011 13:23

SikaStag wrote:Nice one Colin. Thank you, this is a must try recipe.
Ian
You may want to contact 'Maz,' a forum member from Natal S.A. I'm sure he could provide you with some authentic recipes for biltong.

Following is another of my favourites;

[CAN] Perfect Beef Jerky by Steelchef

● 2 - 2-1/2 lbs lean red meat
● 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
● 2 tablespoons soy sauce
● 1 tablespoon fresh garlic
● 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
● 3 tablespoons brown sugar
● 1 tablespoon whisky
● splash maple syrup
● 2 teaspoons chili flakes
● pinch dry mustard
● 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

● 2 cups dry mesquite wood chips
● 4 cups mesquite wood chips soaked in cool water for 1 hour and drained

1. Using a sharp knife and cutting with the grain of the meat, slice the beef into 1/8 inch slices. If you find it difficult to slice thinly, place the meat into the freezer for 5 minutes and then try again.
2. In a medium bowl combine the marinade ingredients. Place the meat into a sealable plastic bag and pour the marinade ingredients over top. Remove air from the bag, seal it and place the meat into the refrigerator to marinade over night. Remove the meat from marinade and discard the bag and used sauce.
3. Place the beef onto a clean baking tray. Prepare barbeque for indirect smoking. Remove the grate from the far burner and turn the heat on medium high. Leave the other burners off.
4. Prepare the smoke pouches. Place 2 cups (500ml) of the drained wet chips and 1 cup of the dry on a large sheet of foil. Mix to combine. Wrap the package up to the size that is slightly smaller than your bbq burner. Using the tines of a fork poke all over - this allows airflow and smoke to escape. Repeat this to make a total of 2 smoke pouches.
5. Place one smoke pouch directly over the heat on the far side of the grill. Close the lid and wait for smoke. Adjust the heat to 180°F Oil the grill to help prevent sticking. Place beef strips on the non-heat side of the grill. They should not be touching. Close lid and slow cook for 3-4 hours. Replace the smoke pouch after smoke dissipates.
6. Remove from grill. Cool and enjoy.

In summary, it's all about the marinade and your tastes. The process is not carved in stone.
_________
Moved by Chuckwagon - Saturday, March 12, 2011 @ 00:16
Last edited by steelchef on Sat Mar 19, 2011 08:05, edited 2 times in total.
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Mar 11, 2011 21:45

Gottcha Siara!

Chuckmeister could you please assist in this endeavour?
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sun Mar 20, 2011 07:45

Sorry to be so slow in replying Ian. I have to talk to ol' Chuck about the fact that a lot of post advisements do not come to inbox. I've found many, like this one for which I never recieved an alert.
Yes, sunny boy is just fine. He was a little 'pissy' when I woke him up at 4:00 AM but got over it real quick after his mother had a word with him.

Have you got your equipment yet? You must have cause we haven't heard from you for a while. Keep in touch pal.

Colin
SikaStag
Beginner
Beginner

Post by SikaStag » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:09

Hi Colin.
Sorry for being quiet. I had a couple of friends that were here for a week to shoot Sika Deer. They shot 4 for the week. I was too busy to get on to any forums.

I got my stuffer and grinder on Monday. I was disappointed to be honest, with the condition they were in, they had not been cleaned right and the grinder worm which has a food grade plastic worm, had been dropped at some point on the metal spine, which fractured the plastic in about 3 places, very deep cracks that were filled with decaying meat residue, two of the sausage stuffer tubes were cracked and of no use.

I could not get to the phone quick enough to get tore into the guy that sold me the grinder as used once, and the stuffer as used about 5 times.

I have the exact same grinder as this one. Only difference is the size of the mincer head, the one I already have is a size 8 aluminium head, the one I bought has a size 12 stainless head.
After giving the guy a piece of my mind. He eventually agreed to replace the worm with a new one, which costs the equivalent of $118 US.

I stopped in at a free range organic, pig farm. I was hoping to buy half a pig to do some bacon curing and sausage making. The owner shouted at the gate and two pigs came running out there sty to meet us. one was a fair sized boar, with is family jewels still intact, the other smaller pig had been castrated.
She asked if I wanted the big pig or the smaller pig. I enquired as to how much it would cost for the whole carcass. she told me the small big would kill out at about 65 kilo's and would cost £280, that's $454 US. I am glad I was leaning on the gate, or I would have fell to the ground with shock. I stopped her before she gave me the price for the big pig. She asked me how much I was thinking of paying for the smaller pig, I told her I have never bought a pig before, and I doubt I will ever be buying one in the near future if that is the price of them.

Am I being a tight arssed Scots man or is this the going rate for a pig that will kill out at 65 kilo's. Looking at the smaller pig, I would have said it would never make 65 Kilo's hanging weight. I asked if she would be interested in doing a swap for a Sika deer carcass, she said she shot deer herself but would be interested in doing a swap for a joint.
On leaving she gave me a pack of sausages to try and then offered me the two pigs heads when they come back from slaughter, for no charge.
So guys I am looking for ideas on what to do with two pigs heads. please do not say head cheese. just watching a youtube video of that being made , was enough to put me off ever eating it, I know you will say that it tastes great. I like to eat with my eyes as well as my mouth. I was more thinking Jowls and potted meat.

All suggestions welcome. I collect them on Friday coming.
Her sausages were ok, not outstanding. When I checked the price of them, she was selling them at over $15 per Kilo. I must be out of touch on prices. The sausages I made were nicer than hers, in taste in texture and they were made with commercial pork at under $5 per Kilo.

I will probably be making sausages next weekend, I hope. We are now coming into the lambing season when things will be hectic for about 6 weeks.

Ian
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:57

Hey Sika!
You have had an eventful week. It's good that you got partial compensation for the grinder wreck. Pretty expensive pork allright. By my calculation that works out to $3.17/lb. We usually pay 1/2 of that for boneless loin. An unfair comparison as that is not organic or free range. I guess you'll have to compare it to your local shop prices.
Regarding your pig's heads; Pork jowl makes excellent bacon. It' hard to find over here, anymore. we used to by it fresh, sliced into rashers and fry it with salt and pepper. Delicious! I imagine that any other flesh could be used for mince. It's a shame that you have an aversion to head cheese. My wife makes it regularly using cured, smoked hocks and lots of garlic. She'll often eat a half-pint with some toast for lunch.
Whenever labour is added to the cost of a product, the price usually triples. That seems to be true on both side of the pond. If the sausage was good, we would pay at least that much. We have found only one commercial sausage maker in Canada which makes consistently outstanding products at reasonable prices. It's a medium sized venture located in Saskatchewan. http://www.harvestmeats.com/default.aspx?page=7
My wife enjoys a wide variety of sausage, most of which I have not yet attempted. Despite my advanced age, I am pretty new at making real sausage. For many years I used older, frozen meat and a lot of spices. The kids and I liked it, (so did the dogs) but the better half, while always polite, preferred the real stuff. She has recenly begun to request certain products which I will undertake as soon as it warms up and this pesky snow is gone.
I guess the most important things I've learned from the forum is to follow the formula, use the best quality meat and strictly observe sanitary rules. It's a wonder I didn't kill someone in the past. I rarely used cure and frequently allowed the ground meat to remain at room temperature for far too long.
Anyway, I've 'seen the light' and progress is rewarding.
Good luck with the lambing, keep in touch when you have a moment and best of luck with your sausage.

Colin
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:20

SikaStag wrote:This is the page that I really like. I can not translate all. Is there any recipes that I could follow to make this type of meat.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/articles.php?id=1716

This is my translation.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... NQR75_JdvQ
I've been trying to find a translator that would help you out Ian. Here's the best I can do. Not much help eh? Maybe Siara can help out with the words that are apparently untranslatable. Or maybe not. After looking at it again, Gangsta might need to add another day to his already busy week.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/offi ... cidUI=1033

Ham, fillets of deer
Components:

● meat from the legs and shoulders, beef tenderloin, pork and chicken inner fillets małe, ogonówka
● peklosól
● garlic,
● Juniper
● Provance
● Peppers,
● pepper,
● Pimentos,
● a set of spices to szynkowej,
● cotton
● grid

How to comply with:

INycięte and shaped pieces of meat peklujemy by a period of 7 days in brine containing 10% nastrzykiem 15%. Pickle must be temp. up to 6 degrees C.
The brine we add herbs: Juniper, allspice, pepper, garlic,
After this period, wyjmujemy meat with brine and wieszamy to ocieknięcia for a period of 24 hours. 6 degrees (C).
Depending on your preferences we can insert grids to meat or wędzić on the hook, or a string with.
Before smoking moist surfaces of the products can be natrzeć herbs, peppers, Juniper-prowansalskimi.
Wędzimy 8 h in warm smoke to obtain the appropriate color.
Then parzymy in water temp. 75-78 ° C to obtain, within each product temp. approx. 70 degrees c. Studzimy and delektujemy to the device.

Ham from the deer rubbed ziłami prowansalskimi
INycięte and shaped pieces of meat peklujemy by a period of 7 days in brine containing 10% nastrzykiem 15%. Pickle must be temp. up to 6 degrees C.
The brine we add herbs: Juniper, allspice, pepper, garlic,
After this period, wyjmujemy meat with brine and wieszamy to ocieknięcia for a period of 24 hours. 6 degrees (C).
Depending on your preferences we can insert grids to meat or wędzić on the hook, or a string with.
Before smoking moist surfaces of the products can be natrzeć herbs, peppers, Juniper-prowansalskimi.
Wędzimy 8 h in warm smoke to obtain the appropriate color.
Then parzymy in water temp. 75-78 ° C to obtain, within each product temp. approx. 70 degrees c. Studzimy and delektujemy to the device.
Can the next day, wędzić for the second time smoke cold ok 2 in order to give a flavour. Not wędzić smoke warm because wysuszymy products.

Ham from the deer rubbed ziłami prowansalskimi
W zależności od upodobań możemy mięsa włożyć do siatek lub wędzić na haku lub sznurku bawełnianym.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:14

Howdy Pards!
When you make ANY product that you`re going to smoke, remember the oxygen is cut off and the perfect temperature exists for the growth of anaerobic, pathogenic, bacteria. Be sure to add the precise amount of cure. Until you know how to use them correctly, ask for someone to check your math! Rytek used to say, "There is no such thing as curing meat without using an actual cure like Prague Powder". So, be safe fellers. We surely wouldn`t want to see anyone injured. Have an experienced wrangler double-check the amount of cure you add to your jerky and sausage. And don`t be embarrassed to ask for help. Any ol` timer here will give you a hand. Shucks, they were beginners too once upon a time.

Our friend Seminole (Stan Marianski) has created a very helpful "cure calculator". It`s so simple to use, your mother-in-law could even do it! Just click on this link to find it.

http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/sausage-re ... calculator

Be safe and healthy!
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Mon Mar 21, 2011 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 03:50

Thanks for explaining things CW, now let me throw another one at ya. I have read many jerky recipes lately that recommend heating the meat to 160° BEFORE putting in the dehydrator. Is this really necessary if the meat is cured?

Thanks,
Wayne
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Apr 01, 2011 09:13

Hi Wayne,

In October 2003, in New Mexico, there was an outbreak of Salmonella that was traced to jerky production in one of the small plants. In response to this outbreak, the Food Safety and Inspection Service initiated a series of policy changes and guidelines. Jerky is usually made from beef and the cooking guidelines for beef products should be observed. Your question is essentially, "Why is drying meat, without first heating it to 160°; F. (72° C), a food safety concern?" The danger looms when an appliance will not heat the meat to 160° F - "a temperature at which bacteria are destroyed" according to the USDA - before it dries. After drying, bacteria become much more heat resistant. Within a dehydrator or low-temperature oven, evaporating moisture absorbs most of the heat. Consequently, the meat itself does not begin to rise in temperature until most of the moisture has evaporated. Then, when the dried meat temperature finally begins to rise, the bacteria have become more heat resistant and are more likely to survive. If these bacteria are pathogenic, they can cause food borne illness to those consuming the jerky.

What the FSIS has concluded is that it is not enough to follow the time-temperature guidelines, but to also include the humidity factor in the cooking process. It is now necessary to maintain the relative humidity of the oven at 90% or above for at least 25% of the cooking time and no less than one hour. This ruling has started a heated and ongoing debate between the FSIS and small jerky manufacturers who claim that maintaining such high humidity in a smokehouse is difficult and may force them out of business. Another argument is that the humidity requirement changes the quality of jerky. Due to today`s microbiological concerns, particularly E.coli 0157:H7, Salmonella, and Listeria monocytogenes, commercially made jerky must now be exposed to thermal processing. A hobbyist is not bound by those rules but we believe it is beneficial to know about the latest safety requirements for making jerky products.

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has divided jerky into specific categories:

1. Jerky - The product is produced from a single piece of meat. The product can also be labeled as "Natural Style Jerky" provided that the product name is accompanied by the explanatory statement "made from solid pieces of meat."
2. Jerky Chunked and Formed - The product is produced from chunks that are molded and formed. and then cut into strips.
3. Jerky Ground and Formed or Chopped and Formed. The meat is ground, molded, pressed, and cut into strips.

It should also be noted that pork and wild game (bear, venison) meat is at risk of being infested with trichinae and should be either cooked or accordingly treated. Commercially made jerky is monitored by inspectors of the U.S. Department of Agriculture`s Food Safety and Inspection Service. Home made jerky, often made from venison, is often made in a hazardous way. Dried meat will keep for many years if kept at low humidity because bacteria will not grow under such conditions. That does not mean that all bacteria are dead. E.coli was found in dried but uncooked jerky that has been stored at room temperature for more than a year.

Although curing salt (Cure#1) is not required in the manufacture of homemade jerky, it is recommended that it be used. Curing salt offers advantages as it...

1. Stabilizes and improves the color of meat.
2. Contributes to the characteristic flavor of cured meat.
3. Inhibits growth of spoilage and pathogenic bacteria.
4. Slows down development of rancidity of fat.

The new method of making jerky from a single piece of meat

The USDA current recommendation for making jerky safely is to heat meat to 160° F (72° C) before the dehydrating process. This step assures that any bacteria present will be destroyed by wet heat. Most dehydrator instructions do not include this step, and a dehydrator may not reach temperatures high enough to heat meat to 160° F. After heating to 160° F, maintaining a constant dehydrator temperature of 130°; to 140°; F (54 - 60° C) during the drying process is important because: the process must be enough to dry food before it spoils; and it must remove enough water that microorganisms are unable to grow.

The University of Wisconsin has concluded that the following temperatures are effective at killing E.coli 0157:H7 in jerky. These folks recommend that a dehydrator temperature of 145 deg. F (63 deg. C) or higher be used.

Drying Temp. - - - - - Drying Time:
125 deg. F (52 deg. C) 10 hours
135 deg. F (57 deg. C) 8 hours
145 deg. F (63 deg. C) 7 hours
155 deg. F (68 deg. C) 4 hours

Remember, the leaner the meat, the better the jerky. Either fresh or frozen meat can be used. Meat should be trimmed of fat and connective tissue. Partially frozen meat is easier to cut into 1/4" strips, 6" long x 1" wide. Home produced jerky made of sliced meat pieces is usually marinated overnight. Make about 1/2 cup (120 ml) of marinade for each pound of meat. Drain the slices and pat them dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the meat with freshly-ground black pepper and other spices you like.

Basic jerky marinade:
(For 5-7 lb. of meat)

1 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs. powdered garlic
1 Tbs. black pepper
1 Tbs. liquid smoke (unless you are going to use real smoke!)

This amount of marinade is enough for 5-7 lb. of meat. Did you know that commercially made jerky is not marinated but mixed with salt, nitrite and spices in a vacuum tumbler before it is dried? If you wish to cook the meat to 160 degrees F (72 degrees C) as recommended by the FSIS., simply bring the marinade with strips of jerky to a boil. If you do not have enough marinade to do this, add more water. Another solution is to make a special brine just for that purpose. Bring half of the brine to a boil. Insert the meat pieces, bring the brine to a boil and cook it for 2 minutes. Remove the strips and allow them to dry. Change the brine for the second half of meat and repeat the process.

Begin the dehydrating process immediately after cooking. Dry the meat at 130-140° F (54-60° C) until a test strip cracks but does not break when it is bent. Jerky can be dried in the sun, oven, smokehouse, or a dehydrator.

Real smoke just won`t adhere to wet meat. For this reason, jerky is always dried before being smoked. However, if you are going to smoke very thin meat strips with heavy smoke, don`t do it for too long. If the smudge is heavy and the strips are thin, more than 60 minutes might create a bitter flavor. Keep in mind that sausage meat is encased with casings, which acts as a barrier to smoke penetration. The casings contain millions of tiny holes that let the smoke in. Thin jerky cuts have no protective barrier and accept smoke rapidly. If the smoking temperature is maintained between 130-140° F (54-60° C), there is no difference between smoking and drying and it might be considered one process. Allow it to cool and then place it in a paper bag. For longer storage, seal it in a vacuum sealer.

The New Method Of Making Restructured Jerky - (from ground meat)

Grind the lean meat through 1/4" (6 mm) plate. Add all ingredients to meat and mix them together. Adding Cure #1 is a good idea, as it inhibits the growth of pathogenic bacteria. Develop the "primary bind".You want the sausage mass to feel sticky, exactly like it would appear during the sausage-making process. You may add some water to facilitate the mixing and spice distribution. Cover the meat and leave it overnight in a refrigerator.

Press the meat into flat strips using grinder attachments for making jerky or jerky gun. Place the ground meat strips on a cookie sheet. Preheat your oven to 325° F (162° C). (Boiling it might break it apart) Cooking it in an oven or in a smokehouse is the preferred method. Heat to 160° F (72° C) internal meat temperature.

Begin dehydrating immediately after cooking. Dry it at 130-140° F (54-60° C). Place the strips close together, but not touching. Jerky is done when a test strip cracks but does not break when it is bent. (about 8-10 hours). Next, apply the smoke. If the smoking temperature is maintained between 130-140° F (54-60° C), there is no difference between smoking and drying, and it might be considered one process. Allow it to cool and then place it in a paper bag. If it loses moisture too rapidly, place it in a jar with several holes punched in the lid. Place it in the refrigerator. For longer storage, use a vacuum sealer.

If you make jerky from wild game, be sure to pre-cook it to 165° F (74° C). Game meats, especially bears, are often infected with trichinae and other parasites. If the meat will not be cooked, it should be frozen according to the USDA rules. Deeply freezing meat takes care of trichinae but will not eliminate bacteria from the meat.

Please be safe folks. :wink: And if you use a recipe from the internet... be aware that the majority of recipes on the Internet do not mention the fact that jerky should be pre-cooked in order to be microbiologically safe. Some of us will refuse to accept this fact and will never cook jerky. :shock: If so, please use extra precautions that might be implemented to increase the safety of the product:

Good home-manufacturing practices include:
Using at least 2.5% salt.
Using sodium nitrite. (Cure #1)
Dry-curing meat for jerky.
If brine is used, add acidic ingredients into your marinade.
Don`t cut strips thicker than 1/4". The thinner the strips are, the quicker they will dry.
People who like to decrease the amount of salt or use salt substitutes should pre-cook jerky.

Useful Information
Ingredients that inhibit the growth of bacteria include salt, soy sauce, sodium nitrite, acidic liquids such as vinegar, lemon juice, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and teriyaki sauce. Jerky strips heated in marinade will dry faster. Slice meat with the grain for chewy jerky. Slice meat across the grain for a more tender, brittle jerky. Be careful when applying liquid smoke as too much may make your product bitter. Worcestershire sauce is often added to jerky marinade. It takes about 4 lbs. of fresh meat to make 1 lb. of dry jerky. Salt prevents the growth of bacteria and helps to draw the moisture out of the meat. Commercially produced and vacuum packed jerky can be stored for only one year. Home made jerky should be refrigerated and should be consumed within 1-2 months as its flavor will deteriorate in time.

Yup pards, many folks will continue making jerky without precooking meat, the way they have always done it. Whether you follow them or make jerky in accordance with the USDA regulations is up to you. Again, I'm certainly no expert, but I do strongly believe that safety is the most important step of any meat processing operation.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri May 25, 2012 03:37, edited 2 times in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 21:56

Thanks CW, there is much to know about a very basic thing like jerky but that is just how it is these days :lol:

The USDA current recommendation for making jerky safely is to heat meat to 160° F (72° C) before the dehydrating process. This step assures that any bacteria present will be destroyed by wet heat. Most dehydrator instructions do not include this step, and a dehydrator may not reach temperatures high enough to heat meat to 160° F. After heating to 160° F, maintaining a constant dehydrator temperature of 130°; to 140°; F (54 - 60° C) during the drying process is important because: the process must be enough to dry food before it spoils; and it must remove enough water that microorganisms are unable to grow.

The University of Wisconsin has concluded that the following temperatures are effective at killing E.coli 0157:H7 in jerky. These folks recommend that a dehydrator temperature of 145º F (63º C) or higher be used.

Drying Temp. Min. Drying Time:
125º F (52º C) 10 hours
135º F (57º C) 8 hours
145º F (63º C) 7 hours
155º F (68º C) 4 hours

Is this recommending using both the USDA and U of W process or one or the other ?

Thanks for the reply,
Wayne
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Fri Apr 01, 2011 23:54

The answer to my last post is in your reply, I need to read closer :lol:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Apr 02, 2011 05:35

Hi Wayne,
I'm glad to see you take such an interest in the safety rules. You'll live a long and healthy life. I, on the other hand, have led a life full of spicy provender, depraved, wild women, bad whiskey, and lots of 40's music! I'm sure to go any day now! :lol:
Stay well my friend.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri May 30, 2014 21:15

Hi CW,
You mentioned that even Jerky has come under these rules.
Does it apply to Biltong as well?
I was sent an early production booklet from Pretoria, South Africa, which listed the use of
20 grams of Saltpetre to 50 kg of meat as well all the other spices and salt.
Nowadays, Saltpetre is no longer used as is cure #1 or 2.
My pea-brain tells me that where I live, hot and humid, a cure is needed to be on the safe side.
After all, all my grand kids eat this stuff on a very regular basis.
All commercial biltong sold around the world has no cure whatsoever, what it does have is an endless list of chemicals.
Cheers,
Jan.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat May 31, 2014 02:39

Crusty ol' pard,
Last I heard, your Australian government was allowing the sale of Biltong without the processing that our American jerkey now goes through. (That process is explained in the last link I posted). So, as far as I know, Biltong is being sold without cooking it. I'm not even sure if your government requires it to contain nitrite. Remember the big controversy some time back? :roll:
Can anyone "down under" clarify these points? Would appreciate some updating. Thanks folks.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon