Pat's dynamiting the river again!

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Pat's dynamiting the river again!

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Feb 23, 2013 13:11

I ran across something amazing. One of our members (Northfork) is a professional guide on the Snake River in Washington and Idaho. His website is awesome and certainly worth taking a peek. The photos are remarkable. Pat caught a sturgeon as big as my horse! Check it out at this link: http://www.snakeriverguides.com/
Hey Pat, can a wrangler lasso one of those danged things?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Sat Feb 23, 2013 13:59

Chuckwagon Wrote:
Hey Pat, can a wrangler lasso one of those danged things?

I wouldn't advise it! Many years ago they commercially fished these with set lines, in this area, and would pull the lines with a team of horses. The old timers claimed it was not unheard of to have to cut a line because the team was losing ground (and these were not your pretty little pony you see most places these days). The best fish I have actually seen was around 13ft in length. She dang near killed two grown men and a 14 year old boy before we had to break her off(we had her in about 3 ft of water and 20 ft from shore and she just said NO!!)-after 3 hours and 3 times to the beach we broke her off for her safety (you can kill these fish by stressing them for too long). That fish was well over a thousand lbs and to the best of knowledge is still living.

Guiding has been my profession of choice for the past 18 years, along with maintaining a part/full time position in my other profession. I was in HVAC design, estimation and management for about 35 years and prior to that I was a timber faller for 12 years. I've crammed a lot into my 63 years-I hauled my first load of logs out of the woods at 13 years (part time weekend job helping a friend of the family who had health problems but just wouldn't park his rig). My love has always been the outdoors and I am blessed to have a family that put up with me and to live in an area that has immediate access to my outdoor passions.

My wife and I are actually in the process of selling our fishing business(processing paperwork as we speak) and I have retired from the HVAC field as well (almost, anyway).

So, if you are ever up this way let me know and we'll go fishing-I won't guide anymore but I can take a friend fishing anytime I want to (just be sure you buck some bails every day for a few weeks first if you want to mess with a sturgeon!).

Pat
I've always tried to set a good example for others-but many times I've had to settle for just being a horrible warning!
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Sat Feb 23, 2013 14:19

I enjoyed reading on the website!

Very interesting and it would be awesome to go on one of those.
Ron
NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Sat Feb 23, 2013 15:06

CW-ropin sturgeon might be similar to ropin bears!! I haven't tried either one but I have packed a lot of meat through bear country and found out real early there just ain't no such such thing as a steady mule and things can get going the other way in hurry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJTiLikP1UM

Pat
I've always tried to set a good example for others-but many times I've had to settle for just being a horrible warning!