SAUSAGE PHOTO GALLERY (Without Original Recipes)

redzed

Canadian Kabanosy

Post by redzed » Tue Feb 26, 2013 22:15

I'm continuing to use up my Canada Goose breasts, so yesterday I made some "Canadian Kabanosy". As many of you probably noticed, I'm a bit pedantic about naming something inappropriately, so at first I thought the name would cross the line. Traditional Kabanosy were made with especially bred and fattened pigs in Eastern Poland known as "kabanki". But today, any narrow diameter, semi-dry sausage made in Poland is called Kabanosy. You can find them made with wild boar, chicken, turkey, domestic goose, and even salmon! Ergo Canadian Kabanosy!

Again, I had a lot of work with preparing the breasts. Trimming the fat, bloody parts and searching for buckshot. I threw out about 20% of what is pictured below. I managed to find four pellets, three in the breasts and one more after the meat went through the grinder. I will be warning everyone to chew these slowly!

I added 50% of fatty pork shoulder and used the traditional Kabanosy seasonings: salt, pepper, nutmeg, caraway and the optional garlic. Stuffed into 22mm collagen and smoked with Traeger brand cherry pellets. They turned out excellent, absolutely no gamey flavours, good texture and not overdone. The sausages need a few days of drying and that should improve the flavour even more. Will provide good energy on my hiking excursions.

IdaKraut
Passionate
Passionate

Post by IdaKraut » Tue Feb 26, 2013 22:37

Huckleberry,
Your sausages look wonderful. Congrats! I've not found too many Len Poli recipes that aren't great. He's one heck of a guy.

BTW, your Weimaraner is one good looking doggie.
Rudy
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Feb 27, 2013 02:38

Hi Redzed,

That's about the best Kabanosy I have ever seen, and made from Goose I bet it tastes phenomenal!

Ron
Ron
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 03:20

Hey Red, That is delicious-looking bird-osky! Wow, what a color. :wink: But, I'm a little confused. Is the recipe from Poli's outfit or is that your own recipe?
Yikes, that's good-lookin' stuff.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Feb 27, 2013 03:56

Hi CW

Recipe is the traditional one from Marianski and the Polish WD site. Did not even think of looking at Poli, and now I did and he posted a translated recipe from the Polish WD site.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Feb 27, 2013 05:22

Well you've sure got the technique down. I've never seen better lookin' kabanosy. You'd better watch out for atcNick though... he'll be camping on your porch (he goes nuts over this stuff). :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sausage-john
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sausage-john » Sat Mar 02, 2013 19:01

My 1st Pepperoni is ready, used Marianski's recipe with adding garlic & marjoram to it and just used dextrose as sweetener and stuffed them in beef middles.

Imagehttp://[/img]

sliced them in half and vacuum packed them

Image[/img]

on the left the sliced pepperoni and on the right my 2nd salametti cacciatore which I will dry out a bit longer; had a 45% weight reduction on the pepperoni and taste and look great.

Just got my new ph reader in so wasn't able to use it from the start and had a couple temperature issues, seems like every so often the temp controller is kicking out and the fridge is getting in the mid to high 60's. Well my wife and I had a good taste and we are fine.

Cheers,

John
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:01

John, it looks amazing! Well done pard. Tell me how the texture is. It sounds like the flavor is just right.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
sausage-john
Beginner
Beginner

Post by sausage-john » Fri Mar 15, 2013 13:44

Chuckwagon wrote:John, it looks amazing! Well done pard. Tell me how the texture is. It sounds like the flavor is just right.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Thanks CW,
The texture is excellent, vacuum sealed them all and froze some. Put my sausage making on hold, as I am finishing drywalling the basement and of course hope to finish in time to make another couple of batches before the summer.

Cheers,

John
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Mar 15, 2013 13:53

Well John, good luck with your dry-walling. Hope you have plenty of help! Hey, you know the color in your cacciatore is incredible. Nicely done sir!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Mar 16, 2013 03:30

Here's a quick shot of my latest batch of "Texas Smokey Hot Links"<insert link to PhotoBucket here> with the Easter Duck shown for size comparison. (As you know, the Easter Duck comes down the chimney each Easter and brings sausages to all good little girls' and boys' granddaddies.)

<can't get the picture from phone to computer to Photobucket. Fighting a computer virus on one machine and Windows 8 on another. Aaarrrggghhh!!!>

The recipe ( http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... +hot+links ) was prepared by buying a pound of ground beef, then scaling the recipe. I keep 80/20 ground pork butt frozen in one-kilo bags, so I can whip up some sausage on short notice. In this case, I needed 880 grams out of the kilo, so I mixed up the rest with a scaled amount of chorizo spicing and had it for breakfast the next few days.

But enough of that. I let the mix season overnight, then got out my trusty "Ross-n-Russ Ram Rod" stuffer. (Search the website, starting at http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... ght=ramrod for how to build it.) From initial sanitization, through loading and stuffing, to final cleanup took about an hour and twenty minutes. This amount of sausage is ideal for the "ramrod," but at a little over 3 pounds, isn't enough to justify getting out a vertical stuffer or (shudder) a horn stuffer.

There is always a little left over, which in my case I stuck into a snack-size plastic bag. No sense loading another casing, just to use less than a foot of it. If you had the photo, you would see the duck eying the bag suspiciously. Now you know why.

To sum up, I make small batches of sausage almost exclusively. Freezing mince in one-kilo lots makes trying a new recipe (or making an old one) quick and easy, because the grinding has already been done. Thaw, mix with spices, refrigerate overnight, then stuff. The "ram rod" approach to stuffing uses little time and few resources, and its PVC parts are dishwasher safe.

...great way to try all sorts of recipes, quickly and easily. Try it. You'll be happier'n an Easter Duck.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Mar 16, 2013 23:05

<can't get the picture from phone to computer to Photobucket. Fighting a computer virus on one machine and Windows 8 on another. Aaarrrggghhh!!!>
Well, here's the photo. (Sorry about that.)
There is always a little left over, which in my case I stuck into a snack-size plastic bag. No sense loading another casing, just to use less than a foot of it. ....... [you can] see the duck eying the bag suspiciously. Now you know why.
The sausage turned out great, by the way. (You can see the little guy salivating.)
Duk
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Mar 17, 2013 18:35

Some of the results form this weekend's sausage play.

Bologna, souse, braunschweiger

Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Sun Mar 17, 2013 19:04

Hey El Ducko, what did you think of the links? Did you smoke them? I just love Texas Smokey links I always eat too many cause they are so addicting. I used wood chips I bought at Menards that were from Jack Daniels oak whiskey barrels. I really liked the smoke flavor
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Mar 17, 2013 19:47

Butterbean wrote:Some of the results form this weekend's sausage play.

Bologna, souse, braunschweiger]
Nice work Butterbean. All look yumminy. I'm hankering to make that souse!