My favorite stuffer

Palace hill
Beginner
Beginner

My favorite stuffer

Post by Palace hill » Sun Apr 03, 2011 16:00

I am currently considering the purchase of a stuffer for my kielbasa. My new grinder has a stuffing atachment, but it seems to smear the meat somewhat, losing the tecture that I'm looking for. Many years ago, I borrowed an old cast lard press or fruit press to make venison sausage. It worked fairly well for a guy who didn't know what he was doing. Now I want to be able to stuff meat and keep the tecture of the ground meat without it looking like it got ground one more time.
I've seen several types of stuffers on the market and wondered what everyone likes to use and why.
All your help is greatly appreciated.
Palace Hill
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Gray Goat » Mon Apr 04, 2011 00:32

I tried a few batches with my KA stuffer attachment and quickly decided I needed a stuffer. I found a Weston stuffer on sale at Cabelas and have been very happy with it, stuffing is so much easier now, it takes about five minutes to empty out 5-6 lbs of meat. The longest part is feeding the casings on but that is the case with any stuffer :lol: The main features that I like about this model is the price, it is stainless steel, and has a two speed crank.

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Mon Apr 04, 2011 01:22

I should think that ease of cleaning would be a major factor.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Palace hill
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Palace hill » Mon Apr 04, 2011 02:38

Yes, that is a nice looking machine. Can you operate it yourself or is an extra hand necessary?
The cost at retail seems good for what you would get. The price you paid is even better. Great shopping job
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Re: My favorite stuffer

Post by steelchef » Mon Apr 04, 2011 08:59

Palace hill wrote: My new grinder has a stuffing atachment, but it seems to smear the meat somewhat, losing the tecture that I'm looking for.
I know exactly what you mean Palace. My Kitchenaid is not producing the texture that I want after stuffing. I have opted for a Grizzly; http://grizzly.com/products/H6252

I rarely make more than 5 lbs. at a time so it is ideal for me. The reviews are good and the price is right. By the time I land it here in Canada, it will cost about $135 which is very acceptable.

It will be a month or so before I can get my smoker going, (there is still 30" of snow in the yard.) I will be sure to let you all know how it works out. Actually, the day it arrives I will be making Hmong sausage, (doesn't require smoke.) I made a batch 3 weeks ago and it disappeared in two days. I modified the heat components considerably, to suit our tastes. Also substituted Fish Sauce for the salt. The result was a very moist, delicious sausage to include in an Asian meal or as an appetizer.

Hmong Sauasage

Makes 5 pounds, or about 25 sausages

●3 1/2 pounds pork or wild boar
●1 1/4 pound pork fat
●Juice of three limes
●35 grams (about 2 tablespoons plus a teaspoon) Kosher salt
●3 grams (1/2 teaspoon) Instacure No. 1 (optional)
●1 head chopped fresh garlic
●1 teaspoon ground black pepper
●1/4 cup grated fresh ginger
●1/2 cup chopped fresh thai basil
●1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
● chopped fresh chiles to your taste
●hog casings

1.Chop the meat and fat into chunks of about 1-inch across, then mix the garlic, herbs and spices together and toss with the meat and fat.
2.Chill the meat and fat until it is almost frozen by putting it in the freezer for an hour or so.
3.Take out some hog casings and set in a bowl of very warm water.
4.Grind through your meat grinder (you can use a food processor in a pinch, but you will not get a fine texture) using the coarse die. If your room is warmer than 69 degrees, set the bowl for the ground meat into another bowl of ice to keep it cold.
5.Add the lime juice and mix thoroughly either using a Kitchenaid on low for 60-90 seconds or with your (very clean) hands. This is important to get the sausage to bind properly. Once it is mixed well, put it back in the fridge for 30 minutes or so.
6.Stuff the sausage into the casings all at once. Twist off links by pinching the sausage down and twisting it, first in one direction, and then with the next link, the other direction. Or you could tie them off with butcher`s string.
7.Hang the sausages in a cool place for 4-8 hours (the colder it is, the longer you can hang them). If it is warm out, hang for one hour. Once they have dried a bit, put in the fridge until needed. They will keep for at least a week in the fridge.
8.If you are freezing the sausages, wait a day before doing so. This will tighten up the sausages and help them keep their shape in the deep-freeze.
Recipe is coutesy of http://honest-food.net/
Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 21:51

Hi Palace Hill,
I am amazed at the number of folks trying to stuff sausages with a sausage grinder. A grinder... grinds! The thing was never designed to stuff casings. A stuffing machine... uh...stuffs! :shock: Forget the curved horn type and go straight to the geared, cranked type - whether it is a 5, 15, 20, 25, or a 30-pound model, depends upon your preference. You will thank yourself every time you make sausage if you purchase a geared, cranked, vertical stuffer. :cool: You may even purchase an electric motor for the larger models. After half a century, I still use my good ol` Sausagemaker™ hand-cranked stuffer once in a while although my grinder is powered by a V-8 Chevrolet 327 with three Holley deuces on a high-rise manifold! :mrgreen:
Do yourself a favor and purchase a proper stuffer. Your new "designated stuffer" will also accommodate various other attachments such as jerky and patty makers, and a host of tapered and straight tubes not having to use a wasteful "bell". It will make all the difference in the world, believe me. If your wife says anything about the expense, remind her that it will pay for itself quickly as you continue to save a fortune by not purchasing sausage at the grocery store meat counter.
Before I bought mine years ago from ol` Rytek Kutas (the founder of the Sausagemaker™ company), my wife was not at all happy with my attitude nor my sudden outbursts of explicit, colorful, language. Now, I`m a happy stuffer.
Oh, and yes, while you`re looking, check out their meat mixers too. No, I don`t work for the Sausagemaker™. No, I am not paid to endorse their products. Why do I keep going back to them? Simple. Their service is courteous, their staff is friendly and knowledgeable, their prices are fair, their shipping is quick, and my association and high regard for their very fine "founder" of the company will keep me coming back. Besides that, Mr. Miroslaw Stanuszek ("Big Mac") is one of the finest gentlemen I`ve ever associated with. He`s in charge of R&D at the company, is most professional in every way, and is a good friend to all sausage makers. Shucks pard, when something is not broken, why try to fix it?
Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Palace hill
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Palace hill » Sun Apr 10, 2011 14:18

Thanks to all for the replies and info. The new 15# vertical stuffer will be here Thursday, ready for action on Saturday.
Hey Steelchef, that recipe looks like a great one. Do you boil the sausages, fry or grill them? I will try them later in the spring after Easter.
And Grey Goat, you are a heck of a shopper! What a deal! Thanks again for the pics. I can tell she's your pride and joy!

Palace Hill
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sun Apr 10, 2011 19:00

Hi Palace,

We usually fry them in a skillet with about 3/8" of water in it, turning until cooked through. We allow the water to boil off and continue frying until browned. They grill well also. Since they are already fully cooked, they can be put directly into casseroles or cut lengthwise and fried for stuffing sandwiches or buns. :grin:

Just got my new stuffer last week. I haven't had a chance to use it yet. My plans for this weekend got changed. :mad: Oh well, we'll "git 'er done" :!: Will send pics of future batches.

Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.
Palace hill
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Palace hill » Wed Apr 20, 2011 04:10

Greetings all!
The third batch is finally done. The new stuffer arrived on Wednesday, and was put to work on Sunday afternoon. It was effortless. Actually, the missus ran the crank, so all I had to do was the business end. The outcome was much nicer than trying to use the grinder to stuff. Seems that many of us start the same way; stuff with a grinder, then get a stuffer.
THe eighteen lbs. we made went well. I was able to load about thirteen lbs. into the electric smoker and smoked it for about four hours. Using hickory chips, the kielbasa turned out well. The balance of the sausage was smoked on Monday afternoon, after work. That was smoked using crab apple. A much milder smoke. The missus liked it better. Anyway, now I need to learn more about smoking. Seems that if the meat is too close or touches, it doesn't color as well as I would like. The pic of finished kielbasa shoes some lighter or paler coloring. The final internal temp was 170 degrees. Not picture perfect, but wow!, what flavor.
Anyway, thanks to all for the input and pics. All your help is greatly appreciated.
Happy Easter to all
Palace Hill
Palace hill
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Palace hill » Wed Apr 20, 2011 04:12

Oops, no pics. I'll try again
Palace Hill
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Wed Apr 20, 2011 05:00

Palace hill wrote:Oops, no pics. I'll try again
Palace Hill

Hey Palace,

I found that posting photos was more challenging than making the sausage. Check out this link. http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4967

I personally use Photobucket but it's still a rigmarole.

Good luck Bud! :mrgreen:
JerBear
Passionate
Passionate

Post by JerBear » Fri Apr 22, 2011 05:53

I love my F. Dick. Worth every penny.
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Fri Apr 22, 2011 06:44

JerBear wrote:I love my F. Dick. Worth every penny.
Hey Jer,

Welcome to the forum! I assume that you are referring to a very high quality, German made, kitchen knife by Friedrich Dick.

These products are rated right up there with Wusterhof's and Henckel Zwillings. To my limited knowledge even the revered Japanese Naifumēkā , (Messermacher) cannot claim superiority. Forged knives are just superior.

We hope you will be a regular visitor and contributor to the forum and would really appreciate if you would fill out a profile.
Many of us are on a first name basis, without revealling security information. Please visit;

http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=4965

:mrgreen:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Apr 22, 2011 09:13

Hi JerBear.
Please excuse this goofy Canadian named Steelchef. He thinks he is some kind of amazing new "rescuer" of lost food souls and he even listens to "the voices"! He even claims to be my "son". Holy Crap... can you just imagine such a thing? What a bunch of bull! He will tell you anything if you will vote for him for Fort St. John dogcatcher! This dude has had the cheese fallen off his pizza years ago! Don't trust anything from this goof of northern Canada. He is absolutely bonkers. Why, goodness, I once saw him bite the dentist - who later passed away from the rabid crunch of the "Steelchef"!- Legendary Man Of Steel - in his own mind! This nut is food for the squirels. Don't pay any attention to him whatsoever! This Canadian skid-plate - snow-sled is out of his mind!

Be afraid! Be very afraid!
He might be in YOUR community tonight!

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Sun Apr 24, 2011 08:35, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
steelchef
Passionate
Passionate

Post by steelchef » Sat Apr 23, 2011 02:16

JerBear Buddy,
Don`t pay any attention to my Dad! That old coot has snorted way too much Prague #1. Must have mistook it for something else, I guess. We tolerate him and his BS here and he does know a thing or 2 about making sausage.
Trouble seems to be that he is jealous about the fact that I`m man enough to take our long, cold, hard Canadian winters and he screams like a girl every time there is a skiff of snow.
The guy lives on top of a 10,000` mountain, (like a cave bear) and worries about flooding every time it rains. You figure it out pal.
He`s right about one thing though, you should be VERY AFRAID of believing any of the drivel that he spews from time to time.
BTW: Does anyone know why he has seven (7) wieners after his name? I have a theory!