Which mondostart culture similar to bactoferm T-SPX

tobertuzzi
User
User

Which mondostart culture similar to bactoferm T-SPX

Post by tobertuzzi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 06:32

Hi,
New to the forum, but wow this site is amazing. You guys rock.

My question is, I can get Mondostart easily but not Bactoferm cultures. But Im unsure which one could be used in place of Bactoferm T-SPX? Or if someone could give me the equivalent for all of them that would be great.

MondoStart 06 (Cat#: CUL562012) - For faster processing due to fast acidification with appealing colour and perfect texture. Very good for preventing Fat Oxidation. 25 grams....
MondoStart 2M (Cat#: CUL562004) - Medium Acidification and Texturizing speed, good colour intensity and stability. Inhibition of contaminating microflora through competitive exclusion. Acidification speed and final pH controlled in relation to ripening condition, sugars, temperature and time. 25 grams.....

Mondostart SP - (Cat#: CUL562001) - A unique blend of over 4 different bacteria together with yeast for a mild acid taste, enhanced colour and full flavor and aroma. 10 grams....

MondoStart Classic (Cat#: CUL562007) - Provides excellent and stable colour with a moderate acidifying power ideal for small to medium caliber dry sausages (e.g. Chorizo). Especially beneficial in low temperature processing and for large caliber sliced products. 10 grams.....

Thanks
T
redzed

Post by redzed » Sun Mar 03, 2013 08:15

Hi tobertuzzi,

I posed a similiar question here a little while ago and did not get any informed responses.
http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopi ... mondostart
I called the major distributor/manufacturer in Ontario and the woman on the phone reacted as if I was some sort of industrial spy when I requested a spec sheet for Mondostart 2M and asked which of their products compare to Chr. Hansen. In the end, she promised to email it to me, but I never did receive it. Ultimately I did get a spec. sheet from Stuffer's Supply in Langley, but it is vague in the info for an amateur like me. The person on the phone at Stuffers also had no clue about this product.

However, I used Mondostart 2M five times and have been quite happy with it. Just came back from the U.S. so I stocked up on Bactoferm.

Who is the source for the cultures you listed?

Best,
Chris
tobertuzzi
User
User

Post by tobertuzzi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 16:57

Hi Chris

Yeah I have talked to the Stuffers people a few times and I get the feeling the women there are just receptionists ( no disrespect intended). I got that list from Stephan at Halfords in Edmonton. They just started carrying the full line of Mondostart, seems like their prices are better than stuffers. Not sure how much shipping will be tho. But Stephan was very informative, maybe Ill shoot him an email.
I have used the 2M one once and it seemed to be fine. I guess maybe buy them all and do some tests......which means more sausage......hmmm....good deal...ha

Thanks for the reply

Toby
tobertuzzi
User
User

Post by tobertuzzi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 17:01

But thanks for the link. I was looking for what would be used in Cervlat and other similar salamis so I got an answer there.

Toby
Walleye1
User
User

Post by Walleye1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 19:27

I just ordered the Mondostart 2M and the SP from Halfords in Edmonton as well. I'd be interested in any information anybody could provide on the usage of this product as well. Anything from batch sizes and amounts used to what the final product was like.

Thanks,
Mike
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Mar 05, 2013 08:38

Stuffers prices for natural casings are lower than Halfords and hog casings are lower than the American retail suppliers. Mondostart 2M is also nearly 20% less.
Walleye1
User
User

Post by Walleye1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 13:31

redzed wrote:Stuffers prices for natural casings are lower than Halfords and hog casings are lower than the American retail suppliers. Mondostart 2M is also nearly 20% less.
Redzed

I'll have to remember that for my next order. I usually get casings from JB's in Regina but to my knowledge they don't have any starter cultures. I have surfed around Stuffers web site but just never pulled the trigger.

Any advice on usage or finished product comments of the various Mondostart products?

Thanks,

Mike
tobertuzzi
User
User

Post by tobertuzzi » Tue Mar 05, 2013 16:38

Mike I cant really say yet as Ive only used the 2m once and I didnt have the surface starter so I got a nasty green mould on my chorizo. Probably didnt help my sensor wasnt reading humidity properly, sent it back to Auberins they fixed it promptly.I ordered some supplies from stuffers yesterday, including the mondostart surface so when I get home Ill be trying another batch. Ill let you know more then.

Toby
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Mar 05, 2013 18:31

Hi Mike,

Pictures and a bit of info on my dry cured products using Mondostart2, can be found here:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6107

I am still new to fermented products and so far I have used it in making a finnochiona, genoa, a Poli salami, soppressata, and a couple of summer sausages. All turned out well, especially the finno and soppressata. The Poli salami, did not. Had a failure somewhere, it remained soft even after 50% weight loss, and tasted off. I never tested the PH when making it, so I don't know what went wrong, but suspect that that was where the problem was. I currently have a batch of goose cacciatore in the chamber made with the MS2. Have enough to make another small batch of something and then will be using the Bactoferm products I picked up while in the States last month.

JB's in Regina is expensive, there is a huge huge markup on the casings. (I left Regina 6 years ago) My father used to be in the meat business in Saskatchewan, and even though he is almost 89yrs old, he makes and smokes a lot of sausage. He is still able to buy his casings from an industrial supplier, for around $10 bucks a hank and pays 2 bucks a pound for curing salt.

I admire your ingenuity in designing your smokers and curing chamber. Unfortunately I am a technopeasant and not adept in these things. If I still lived in Regina I would definitely drive to Moose Jaw to tour your facilities!

Chris
Walleye1
User
User

Post by Walleye1 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 19:06

Thanks Toby and Chris!

Like I said I just ordered supplies from Halfords in Edmonton. I thought the shipping might be a bit less simply because it's closer. I'll definitely try Stuffers next time. JB's is handy being only 40 minutes away but I agree they are pricey and don't have everything I'm looking for at times.

I definitely will post more details on my dry cure cabinet once I finish off the last few things on it.

I appreciate the compliment regarding ingenuity. It really isn't that bad once you get into it. I've always been mechanically inclined and if something doesn't work the way I want it to... well... I tear it appart. :mrgreen: Might not always work out but hey... I get an E for effort! :wink:

Chris, your Dad sounds like a heck of guy. It's awesome to have someone help you out when they have a lifetime of experience. :wink:

I'm no rocket scientist either but if you need any help with controllers I'll certainly give you what I have.

Mike