Finally... My First Dry Cure Project

tobertuzzi
User
User

Post by tobertuzzi » Mon Apr 15, 2013 14:58

Looks spot on Mike, good work.

Hey I plan on incubating some salami in my smoker, as my curing chamber has product in it. What did you use for creating humidity in your smoker? And what temp did you ferment your salami at? I have the mondostart 2m too, thinking 24c should be fine.

Thanks
Toby
Walleye1
User
User

Post by Walleye1 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 04:07

tobertuzzi wrote:Looks spot on Mike, good work.

Hey I plan on incubating some salami in my smoker, as my curing chamber has product in it. What did you use for creating humidity in your smoker? And what temp did you ferment your salami at? I have the mondostart 2m too, thinking 24c should be fine.

Thanks
Toby
Hi Tobertuzzi

I used 80 F for a temperature so just slightly higher than your plan. For humidity I just used a large pan of water on the floor of the smoker. I had the exhaust vent almost closed on the smoker. Between the pan of water and the amount of moisture coming off the salami I really didn't have any problem maintaining humidity. The ambient humidity was about 40% at the time and of course I had to look in the cabinet... maybe once or twice. :mrgreen:

I can see there's already a couple of things I would do different nest time but what do you do. I think I have a little bit of case hardening but it's still loosing weight. I had a couple of problems with controllers and it took me a little while to get the bugs ironed out so there was some limited time the RH was lower than it should have been. Oh well, the Lord hates a coward! :wink:

Mike
tobertuzzi
User
User

Post by tobertuzzi » Tue Apr 16, 2013 06:32

Thanks Mike

Yeah I had issues with my controller too, humidity sensor kept reading 20% low....what a pain. But I seem to have it sorted now. Once again I wish I had the same controllers you have and not the plug and play....its been up and down like a yoyo.

It sure is a learning process eh.....and hey nobody likes a quitter. :mrgreen:
Walleye1
User
User

Post by Walleye1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 00:47

Another update...

My test chub is at 872 grams so it is approaching my target of 865 grams. As I said before I'm new to dry curing but simply judging by feel it feels a little soft in the middle. Two days ago I couldn't wait so I cut two or three inches off the end of one chubs. I should have taken a picture but for some reason I forgot. :roll: I have a little case hardening for sure, however the color, smell and taste is fine. There are no signs of any nasty mold. It is still loosing weight so my thought is to let it continue to see if the centre firms up.

What's the experts thoughts?

Mike
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 08:27

I have a little case hardening for sure, however the color, smell and taste is fine. There are no signs of any nasty mold. It is still loosing weight so my thought is to let it continue to see if the centre firms up.
What's the experts thoughts?

Mike, I'm certainly no expert, but how about cutting another sample just an inch or so above your last cut then posting a photo? I'd like to see a close-up of the center and the rim also. Be sure to use a very sharp knife so it slices neatly through the meat fibers rather than "pushing" them. It sounds like you are very close to a very nice product. If you are developing a little case-hardening at this point, it could present a little problem with moisture getting through from the center (equilibrium of diffusion). This can leave enough moisture behind to nurture some types of spoilage bacteria such as Pseudomonas (spp.) or Brochotrix thermosphacta. Stan has a great explanation of diffusion on page 102 of his book, "The Art Of Making Fermented Sausages". You may wish to check it out.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Walleye1
User
User

Post by Walleye1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 13:18

Thanks CW

I will do that when I get home from work today. I do have Stan's book and I will definitely review that. It is still loosing weight so I really don't know what to think. Dam newbies! :roll: :mrgreen:

Mike
Walleye1
User
User

Post by Walleye1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 01:19

Ok, here's acouple of pictures. It is still loosing weight so my thought was to let it continue.

Mike

PS
It tastes good, I'm not sure I like the fennell in there but that's more my taste.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 01:48

Mike my friend,
It looks incredible! I'd say that if the center isn't mushy to chew, then you ought to just concentrate on eatin' the stuff.
The only suggestions I might have is to slow the airspeed just a bit or adjust the chamber to have just a bit more humidity in the early stages. Also, just by observation, you are probably at the upper limit of added fat in the product. Too much will affect not only the rate of curing, but the final product as well.
I'm jealous Mike! I wish you could have seen my first project. It was a total disaster. I guess we live and learn eh? Congratulations pard. You've done a very nice job. Keep it up. What's the next project?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Walleye1
User
User

Post by Walleye1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 02:52

Thanks CW

I agree that I probably should have started with slightly higher RH. The centre is coming along but still a little too mushy for my liking. I do think I'm going to let it go a little longer and see if I can get the centre to firm up a bit more.

I'm not sure what I will try next. Any suggestions? I already want to redo this recipe. I would probably drop the fennel and increase the heat a little. I get this really good hot salami locally here and it's fantastic, although very expensive.

Mike
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:19

Mike, you wrote:
I'm not sure what I will try next. Any suggestions?

Why not try some Salami di Alessanddra by Stan Marianski? It's a great salami and a good basic recipe that you could easily add a little "heat" to if you wished to spice it up a bit. Red pepper flakes and cayenne would do the job. I like the recipe because you can combine herbs and spices that go together well.

2.0 kg (4.4 lbs.) pork butt
2.0 kg (4.4 lbs.) beef chuck
1.0 kg (2.2 lbs.) pork back fat (or fat trimmings)
140 g. salt (3%)
12 g. cure #2
10 g. powdered dextrose (glucose)
15 g. sugar (3%)
15 g. white pepper
0.6 g. (1/4 tspn.) Bactoferm™ T-SPX
----- Bactoferm™ Mold 600

Optional:
Note: To make 5 kg. sausage, about 7 g. of spices and 4 g. of herbs are needed.

120 ml. (1/2 cup) quality red burgundy or other dry red wine (Do not exceed 1/2 cup).
4 parts coriander (spice)
3 parts mace (spice)
2 parts allspice (spice)
1 part fennel (spice)
3 parts marjoram (herb)
1 part thyme (herb)
1 part basil (herb)

Instructions:

It is strongly suggested that you keep a logbook and record everything you do. Write down dates, times, measurements, etc. You`ll find yourself referring back to it several times during the process. Save your notes for the next batch. They will be invaluable. Please don`t ignore this step. It only takes a few seconds to write down the information you may really need later on.

Thaw the Bactoferm™ T-SPX following the directions on the package. Measure .6 gram (1/4 teaspoon) of the culture and mix it with a little distilled water, allowing the bacteria to "wake up". Freeze the back fat and nearly-freeze the lean meat. Freeze the grinder plate and blade (20 minutes is plenty). Cut the meat and fat into cubes.

1. Grind the pork and back fat through a 3/8" plate (10 mm). Work in small batches and refrigerate the meat and fat at every opportunity. Grind the beef using a 3/8" plate then again using a 1/8" plate.

2. Mix all the ingredients with the ground meat and develop the primary bind. Fold in the fat particles.

3. Stuff the mixture firmly into beef middles or 46-60 mm. protein-lined fibrous casings, making links about 16 to 20 inches long. (Protein-lined fibrous casings shrink with the salami as the sausage dries.)

4. Weigh each salami and record its "green weight". Keep a log book!

5. Ferment at 68°; F. (20°; C.) for 72 hours, in 85% to 90% humidity.

6. Hang the salamis in the drying chamber and mix the Mold 600 according to the directions on the package. Spray the sausages with a misting sprayer or dip them into a solution. Dry the salamis at 57°; F. (14°; C.) in 80-85% humidity for 2 to 3 months (until 30-35% weight loss is achieved).

7. The salamis are stored at (+or- 4°;) 55°; F. (13°; C.) in 75% humidity.

Process:....................Temp:......Humidity:.......Length Of Time:

Fermentation........... 68°; F........85-90%..........72 Hrs.

Drying...................... 57°; F........80-85%..........2 - 3 months

Storage.................... 55°; F........75%...............until consumed

Meat Starter Culture Bactoferm™ T-SPX (Slow: Assists with drying a month or more)
Bactoferm™ T-SPX is a freeze-dried culture well suited for all fermented sausages where a relatively mild acidification is desired. T-SPX is particularly recommended for the production of Southern European type of sausages, low in acidity with an aromatic flavor. The culture is suitable for molded as well as smoked fermented sausages. (Semi Dry Cured)
Each 25-gram packet of Bactoferm™ T-SPX will treat 440 pounds (200 kilo) of meat. Note: Cultures must be stored in a freezer and have a shelf life of 14 days un-refrigerated and 6 months frozen.
Contains: Pediococcus pentosaceus and Staphylococcus xylosus

Bactoferm:Mold 600 (Previously M-EK-4)
Meat culture for production of moulded dried sausages with a white/cream colored appearance. Mold-600 is a single strain culture containing spores of Penicillium nalgiovense in a convenient freeze-dried form.
P. nalgiovense is a fast growing, traditional white mold culture for controlling the surface flora.

Mold-600 is particularly recommended for the production of traditional sausages dried at low temperature and/or low humidity.
Mold-600 suppresses the growth of undesirable organisms such as indigenous molds, yeasts and bacteria. The culture has a positive effect on the drying process by preventing the emergence of a dry rim. Furthermore, the mold degrades lactic acid during maturation resulting in a pH increase and a less sour flavor.
Note: Cultures must be stored in freezer and has a shelf life of 14 days unrefrigerated and 6 months frozen.

Hope you give it a try Mike. If you do, be sure to take plenty of photos.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Walleye1
User
User

Post by Walleye1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 02:22

Thanks CW

I'll have to give that one a shot for sure. I'm still not sure which one I'll do next but you guys will be the second to know. I'll be the first. :mrgreen:

What ever it is there definitely will be pictures.
So many things to do and so little time. :grin:

Mike
Walleye1
User
User

Post by Walleye1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 04:01

Another update...

My test chub is now down to 827 grams. That's about a 38% loss from the green weight. It's definitely firming up a lot more for sure.

This leads me to a question... When I weighed my test chub it was right after stuffing it and before fermentation. Is this when most of you weigh them vs weighting them after fermentation?

The reason I'm asking is the Hot Salami (Len Poli) recipe I used in this thread calls for a 30% weight loss. I'm just looking to see if I can find an explanation for my numbers. From a time perspective it's pretty much on target with the Poli recipe I used.

Mike
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 07:02

Yes Mike, the green weight is the weight of the raw items including the casing. Simply weigh it right after stuffing. Good notes are invaluable.
Nice goin' pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Walleye1
User
User

Post by Walleye1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 03:39

Thanks CW, I'll keep you guys posted. It's gettin' close!

Mike
Walleye1
User
User

Post by Walleye1 » Sat May 18, 2013 16:16

I finally pulled everything today. I ended up taking it to a loss of about 40% in the end to get it to the texture I was looking for. Taste and flavor is good but I would probably back off on the fennel for my taste next time. The flavor definitely concentrated these last few weeks. It does have a little bit of case hardening on it but not too bad for my first kick at it. Next time I will run a little higher humidity during the first 2 or 3 weeks. Anyway here's a couple pictures...

Mike