Beef Trim??

Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Beef Trim??

Post by Blackriver » Wed Apr 24, 2013 22:34

At my local butcher I can pick up beef trim in bulk for $2.47 a pound. It is 80/20. Will this work well for making snacksticks, summer sausage etc? It is a lot cheaper than chuck roast which is also 80/20. Will I still be able to make a quality sausage? I guess I am just looking at it like making sausage with Venison which is trim. Thoughts?
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Wed Apr 24, 2013 23:54

I use boxed trim for some things but not all boxed trim is the same. There is one brand that works great on its own but there is another that is pretty shoddy stuff and needs to be used more as a filler. I think the difference has to do with how the meat is processed. I think the poorer quality stuff is done mechanically or something. Its all torn up when you thaw it. The other brand is much much better so you might want to just try it and see and if it doesn't do try another brand.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:58

Scott, if I were you, I'd check out the price for "Top Round" and "Bottom Round". These cuts are from the hind quarter and leaner than chuck. Perfect for lean meat snack "sticks". The price should be much less than chuck or brisket. If you can't find top round at a good price, check the price for loin. Sometimes it goes on sale at a fairly good price.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
TSMODIE
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by TSMODIE » Thu Apr 25, 2013 20:45

I will try just about any type of meat this time of year, I have gone through almost 1200 lbs of elk since december, and only have less than 60 lbs left, So i am always on the look out for any red meat that is cheap, last week a freind gave me 20 lbs of goose breast and challenged me to make a good tasting sausage out of them, I found a recipre for a goose keibalsa, and it turned out fantastic, everybody sampled it without knowing the meat, and loved it, Anytime you can make goose taste good is a success in my book, last year did a wild turkey/elk summer sausage that was terrific. I am not afraid of trying any combination once,Tim
Blackriver
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Blackriver » Thu Apr 25, 2013 22:10

Thank you everyone!
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Thu Apr 25, 2013 23:01

hey blackriver:
I know that you are not far from where I live. The piggly wiggly has 80/20 ground beef for the next few days.(1.99 lb.) I have used this for my snack sticks before and they turn out excellent.In fact my better half just walked in with 20 lbs. I'll be hitting this sale a couple of times. I need to make about 50 lbs.as some of my kids will not eat sticks made with venison since we have had all of the negitive publicity concerning CWD. On this (50) I'll be using a premix spice (japeleno) that I get from Haught butcher supply in Meno. Falls Wi. (web site is not up yet). These guy have won manny sausage making awards.

John