Ross's Maryland Bakery

ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jul 02, 2013 19:30

Ray , that was a very good start but as you observed the trouble happened when you started to handle it and found it sticky. A 6 inch drywall knife is very handy for peeling dough off the table. just a light dusting of flour is all you need. flatten to pieces and fold them carefully then stretch them to the length you want. Made pretty good toast though didn't?
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Jul 02, 2013 20:07

It did make good toast Ross, and it was pretty darned yummy right out of the oven with a little butter on it, it's a wonderful recipe. I used a meat cleaver for scraping but have already retrieved a taping blade from the garage, along with a two-foot length of clothes-pole for use as a rolling pin. I was sort of thinking that just forming the dough into inch and a half diameter cylinders about eight inches long right at the initial kneading might work, let 'em set covered in the fridge to rise, throw them right into the oven the next day. Next I'll make a full batch so as to be able to experiment with different shapes and sizes, I'll get the hang of this. Thanks for all your help Ross. RAY
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Jul 02, 2013 20:12

sawhorseray wrote:Where's the breakdown? I am too stupid to want to figure how ALL THIS CRAP COMES TO BE. I need to deal in tsp. tbsp. cups, and everything else that requires a bit of brain-work to gert sorted out. Wife says I'm way too crabby, anniversary in Reno coming up and booked RAY

Here is a handy weight to volume conversion tool.... http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_ ... ooking.htm
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Tue Jul 02, 2013 20:13

If you roll the dough to about 3/8 inch thick and then start at an edge and roll it into a log and cut it loose when it is as fat as you want, it will help make them uniform.
Ross- tightwad home cook
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Tue Jul 02, 2013 22:21

ssorllih wrote:A 6 inch drywall knife is very handy for peeling dough off the table.
...ceilings, too. (Grandkids occasionally get a little too enthusiastic.)(...but doesn't work so hot on "popcorn" textured ceilings. :shock: )
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 03, 2013 01:55

I knew a guy in the USAF that had been stationed in North Africa. He advised that you always pick the raisins out of the bread in Casablanca. :shock:
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Jul 03, 2013 06:17

Hi Bob K, and welcome to the hive! As you can see from the previous page I'm now all set to deal with weights in any form as long as I can depend on my calculator and powder scale. Hang around there's a wealth of knowledge here.

OK Ross, the more you say, the more I learn. My next thought is that as long as I'm making bread dough, why not make the whole batch, cut it in half, and make a pizza from one of the halves? What I produced this morning has been completely consumed already by the family with a little trimming and creativity. My father-in-law seems to live for my Canadian ham and cheese sandwiches. Today while I was doing my errands in the 109° heat I picked up some salami and mozzarella along with a few shrooms, bell peppers, and onions. I've got great sauce here along with Italian sausage and Canadian bacon. PIZZA TIME!!!
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 03, 2013 13:10

You can't go wrong with that plan.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 03, 2013 13:20

For shaping your pizza dough. When you make the batch set aside a lump for the pizza. After it has done its rising, spread a handful of cornmeal on the pan and place the dough on that and start spreading the dough and stretching it. You may also use oil instead of the cornmeal. the less you work the dough the less tendency it will have to shrink back. So when the dough comes out of the bowl you want to firmly flatten it into the crust. I don't think that this dough will stay together if you attempt to toss it.
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Jul 03, 2013 16:33

I was thinking I could roll it out, if I tried to toss it it'd probably end up on my face. Being new to working with dough one thing I've picked up is that once a portion had been cut away from the dough it doesn't take well to being put back or added to. Pizza in the oven will have to wait a bit, been at least 107° here the last six days. Pulled a turkey from the freezer earlier in the week and thawed it in the fridge, 12lbs for $5 last Thanks. Been brining since last night, do it on the weber tonight, too hot to cook anything inside. Too dammed hot to do anything really. RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Wed Jul 03, 2013 16:48

Remember the days when you were framing in this weather? :shock:
Ross- tightwad home cook
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Wed Jul 03, 2013 17:06

I sure do, and sheeting roofs on commercial projects! I'd pull a 5-gallon bucket full of water up to the roof on a rope and stick my head in it to cool off, did it so much one year I got "swimmers ear". Had a superintendant once climb the ladder when I was nailing off the roof of a medical building in my early 20's to tell me I needed to wear my hardhat. It was 105°, I was alone, on the dammed roof. The next morning I was forming the foundation of a medical building across the street and that supe was left wondering who was going to get his sheeting nailed off. I was a animal back then, the reason I've got no body left now. RAY
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jul 05, 2013 21:44

Ray I have a batch of bread working for rolls and I can do a video of shaping them if it will be useful.
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jul 05, 2013 21:57

Sausage rolls fresh from the oven. next pan full will include a video. Image
Ross- tightwad home cook
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Jul 05, 2013 22:40

Ross- tightwad home cook