Pork Loin

Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Pork Loin

Post by Krakowska » Thu Aug 22, 2013 20:20

Need some opinions, I have a pork loin, split in half marinating in a concoction of balsamic vinegar and fresh rosemary for a couple of days. I always use the oven at 200 and slowly rise to 135 and pull it out. Ad another 10 degrees and then slice for the meal. What would be your opinion of doing it in the smoker? A light smoke apple /cherry mix 180 in the smoker? or oak. Question is how much taste difference between the smoker and oven. Got guests coming over would like to "impress them" (They are really good friends lol) Have had my smoked kielbasa and smoked Canadian bacon. Always was a conversation piece. For Me if I had the time the smoker is My choice.
Thanks Everyone,
Fred
PS: Don't have the time to make some homemade rolls, next time.
:cool:
Keep them safe until they all come home.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Aug 22, 2013 22:13

Split along the length? How do you add 10 degrees after you pull it from the oven? I always roast pork to about 160-165° or even a little more.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Thu Aug 22, 2013 23:10

No not along the length. Got it from a great cook at My VFW. SLOW and cut in half middle of loin. It will jump minimum of 10 degrees. 145/150 fine with me. Very moist, some sweet sour red cabbage, parsley cut up potatoes, and a bowl of french onion soup to kick it off, well we will see how my guests like it. Take care, will let You know how we make out Ross :cool:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Aug 23, 2013 00:35

Fred, ol' pard! Why not try my trailside favorite? You can turn a pork loin into a smoked delicacy fit for a king, with just a bit of time and salt. This stuff is dynamite right out of the oven sliced thinly, piled high as yer' Stetson, and served served hot with a little Redeye Gravy and a touch of horseradish sauce.

Chuckwagon`s Smoked Pork Loin (Canadian Bacon)
(5-Day, Brine Cured, Smoked, Pork Loin)

Many meat products are soaked in saltwater brine with added nitrite. Often, up to fifteen percent of the meat`s weight in brine, is injected throughout the product to ensure complete distribution. One of the most popular meat products cured in this manner is Canadian Bacon which is not bacon at all. Pork loins are trimmed of their silver skin and excess fat, and cured in a strong saltwater solution containing Prague Powder #1. Ten percent of each loin`s weight is calculated and that much brine is injected into each loin. Very small "shots" are injected equally into several places in each loin. To determine the correct amount of brining solution to inject, simply weigh the meat. Move the decimal point one place to the left to determine the weight of ten per cent solution. In other words, if the meat weighs 15 pounds, inject 1.5 pounds of brine into the loins. Next, the loins are placed into the leftover brine and refrigerated. Note that it is most important to keep the temperature as near 38°;F. (3°;C.) as possible. Temperatures much above that point may enable the meat to begin spoiling; below that point, the cure`s effectiveness may be compromised.

10 lbs. pork loins
3 tblspns. Cure #1
4 qts. icewater
3/4 cup powdered dextrose
2 tblspns. Mapleline (maple flavoring)
1 cup salt

Rinse the loins well following the fifth day brining, and pat them with a paper towel. I like to roll Smoked Pork Loin in plenty of freshly cracked black peppercorns before they go into the smoker. The meat is slowly smoke-roasted to an internal meat temperature of 150°F. (66°C.), making it one of the most delicious types of "ham" you might slide across your tongue! As a reference, ten pounds of loin requires about six or seven hours cooking in a 200°F. oven or smoker. Two hours actual smoking is plenty.

"On the trail" without refrigeration, a portable cooler containing cubed ice or snow may be used to cover and keep the water and the loins as close to 38° F. (3° C.) as possible while the meat cures. As the ice melts, the solution becomes weaker and diluted as water is poured off each day. Compensation for the loss of salt and cure must be made by adding a teaspoon of Cure # 1 and two tablespoons salt, once a day on each of the last three days of curing. Be sure to completely dissolve the cure into the water just before adding more ice to the cooler to compensate for that which has melted. (If you are using snow, be sure to pack it inside a large, plastic, zip-lock type bag.) At the end of the fifth day, soak the loins in cold, clean, water for an hour. Dry the loins completely before smoking them. Lots of folks roll Canadian Bacon in yellow cornmeal rather than black pepper. They call it "peameal bacon". Some misunderstood souls even omit the smoking.

Chuckwagon`s "Horseradicot Sauce"
Horseradish-Apricot Sauce For Pork

1 cup Apricot jam
1/4 cup (4 tblspns) tomato paste
1/4 cup (4 tblspns) lime juice
1/4 cup (4 tblspns) bourbon
5 Tblspns. cider vinegar
2-1/2 Tblspns. ketchup
2 Tblspns. minced green onion
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1-1/2 Tblespns prepared horseradish
1 Tblspn. soy sauce
1 Tblspn. brown sugar
1 Tblspn. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tblspn. minced fresh ginger
1/2 tspn. hot pepper flakes

Simmer all ingredients (except the horseradish) in a saucepan over medium-low heat for ten minutes, stirring often. When the sauce reduces to a thick liquid, allow it to cool. If the sauce is too thick, add a little water. When the sauce has returned to room temperature, stir in the horseradish until thoroughly blended.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Fri Aug 23, 2013 01:09, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Fri Aug 23, 2013 00:57

CW!!!! Wish I had more time, got company tomorrow, BUT that will be My next project with a pork loin. I do a "Canadian bacon" "Canadian style, with the corn meal coating. I find that the best way to cook this (believe it or not) is in a microwave. Slice CB to your desired thickness, get 2, 9 inch pie plates place slices in pie plate and cover with other pie plate. NOT long in microwave, obviously it depends on power of microwave and thickness. I can do 5 slices 3/8 thick in 3/4 minutes. (watch centers of bacon for done product. Some NY rye and Webbers mustard and a sandwich fit for a king. OR 3 eggs over easy and a couple pieces of toast, and a cup of jo and a meal fit for a king.
Thanks for the response and info CW, Your the best, Fred