Storing Cacciatore

Aces High

Storing Cacciatore

Post by Aces High » Tue Sep 03, 2013 04:34

So I have just finished a new batch of cacciatore. It lost about 40% of weight in 7 weeks, so it is quite well dried and tastes great, very peppery with a nice chilli warmth at the end.

I have only been making small batches while I get the basic techniques perfected, but for once I have some left over that now needs to be stored (not much admittedly)

I was just wondering how other people store it. Weve just hit spring in Australia, so its going to be warming up pretty quickly and I don't have a cellar or similar cool cupboard to store in.

BTW, here are some pictures of the latest batch. It looks like there is a bit of case hardening going on, but the flash makes it look much worse than it is.

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com[/list]

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
tazplas
User
User

Post by tazplas » Tue Sep 03, 2013 05:46

Just pop round to my place and i'll store it for you in my chamber. :mrgreen: (see link below)
http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6259

I'm in Woodvale.

Cheers

Steve
oneills
User
User

Post by oneills » Tue Sep 03, 2013 06:19

Spring is definately here now. We've gone from 4 inches of rain a week and cold to beautiful sunshine in less than a week.
If you have access to a vacuum packing machine, then that is the way to go as your salami will last longer. I have just finished all mine and stored it all away in the shed.
Misty Springs Free Range Pigs
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 06:32

Aces High,
If I was you, I take Steve up on his offer and inspect his converted wine fridge.
Being a Dutchman, he's honest, polite, well spoken and as always very helpful, just like me!!!
Good Luck Mate,
Jan,
Brisbane.
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Sep 03, 2013 07:25

I have had success in vaccuum bagging and freezing dried products. As far as I can tell, no loss in quality. If you are going to consume the sausage within two or three months, vaccuum pack it and leave in fridge. If it's a matter of weeks, just leave in fridge. It will dry out a bit more but still taste good.
Aces High

Post by Aces High » Tue Sep 03, 2013 09:54

tazplas wrote:Just pop round to my place and i'll store it for you in my chamber. :mrgreen: (see link below)
http://www.wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=6259

I'm in Woodvale.

Cheers

Steve
Ive got me one of those too Steve but nowhere near as neat as yours., Actually being an all grain brewer as well I now have 1 x temp and humidity controlled fridge (for meat), 2 x temperature controlled fermenting fridges and 1 x 3 tap temperature controlled chest freezer and thats just in the shed. Oh and one very tolerant wife, although she's usually allowed in the house. :mrgreen:
I have had success in vaccuum bagging and freezing dried products. As far as I can tell, no loss in quality. If you are going to consume the sausage within two or three months, vaccuum pack it and leave in fridge. If it's a matter of weeks, just leave in fridge. It will dry out a bit more but still taste good.
Cheers Redzed, I was thinking that the vaccum sealer might be the best answer. Might have to bite the bullet and buy one i think.
tazplas
User
User

Post by tazplas » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:08

Aces

I reckon the vacuum packer is the way to go if they can't all fit in my fridge :grin:
That's how i keep my Coppa and Bresaola long term. I got the Sunbeam http://www.productreview.com.au/p/sunbe ... ac780.html
from The Good guys for a bargain of $220 about 2 years ago. Well worth the money.
As Redzed said, freezing as well for longer term.

Let me know if you want to catch up and vac some stuff.

Cheers

Steve