Refuse Corner & Debris Receptacle

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Apr 29, 2013 16:25

And all men and women are welcome on Wedliny Domowe, regardless of their beliefs or ancestry! We don't care if our members are green with blue stripes and polka dots! Aren't we all children of the same creator? Some of my best friends are indeed, of Chinese extraction and I'm proud to be called their friend.
One of the best parts of going to graduate school (aside from being out of the Army) was learning Chinese cooking. I had a classmate who taught my wife and me the "practical" Chinese way. He stopped by with his little rice cooker. We went to a grocery, bought some bok choi and beat sprouts and odds and ends, and came home. He put a pot on each of the four burners, turned them all to "high," poured a little vegetable oil in each, and proceeded to toss hands-ful in the general direction of the stove. Most hit. All were unequally distributed. (We were taking a statistics course at the time.) A little dab of various sauces (hoisin, black bean, soy, chili oil...) and we had four completely different, delicious Chinese dishes.

Since that day, we have done similar "encounters" with people from all over the world. Although the results occasionally are mixed, the fun was always there and the memories will always linger. We do Chinese, Indian(+Pakistani & Bangladeshi), Ethiopian (+Ghana), Vietnamese, Thai, Malaysian (these guys have an incredible sense of humor), Swiss (+ French & German), Mexican, Peruvian (+ Chilean & Colombian), Polish, Russian (+Ukrainian, Moldovan, Belarus).

So, every time we have guests and I pull on my green pants, blue striped shirt, and polka-dotted socks......
Here's to whirled peas and world peace too. WooHoo! I'm looking forward to some good recipes.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Another "Project B"?

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 16:48

Hi Smoke Addicts,
Several folks have written to me requesting a resurrection of the ol` "Project B" series for beginners. I like the idea of helping those who have never even touched a grinder, but would like to consider learning how to make sausages. There are many reasons, quality of home-made sausages to begin with, but now we have an economy in which folks have to tighten their belts a little. There`s no better way to reduce the grocery bill than to learn how to make your own bacon, ham, sausages, and other meats. It`s fun and it`s economical, not to mention the flavor and quality of a product far superior to that which so many folks purchase in grocery stores.

I`d like to know how many new members would like to have Project B started again. It is an instructional series of projects made by a number of "registered" beginners. We make sausages together and report in. We take photos and keep notes. There are even quizzes so you can test yourself, while no one will ever see your score. Why registered? It`s to gather a group of "rank beginners" and put them together with experienced people who are interested in helping them learn. We leave the registration open for a couple of weeks while beginners can get ready. When the registration closes, we`ll move the project into a locked forum where people "from outside" the class cannot criticize or make comments.

Project B has been a terrific learning tool in the past along with others. Here is a link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... ht=project (Project B)
You may also be interested in these links:
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?t=5099 (Project A)
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... sc&start=0 (Project P)
http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.ph ... ht=project (Project S)

We`ve gotten many positive comments about the projects. I believe a project of this type is a first-class way of helping beginning sausage makers understand the very basics of the craft while they participate in a "hands on" application. We learn by doing. We also learn from our mistakes. In this case, we can also learn from others in the forum experiencing the same problems on each project.

So, if you are interested in another "Project B", how about responding below? We`ll call this one "Project B2" and it will start with the very basics of sausage making, but we`ll change the recipes. I`d like to include some simple brined products this time and we`ll ask El DuckO for some expertise. We may even twist Ross`s arm and get him to make a sausage "bun" for our brats as well as tapping into his sausage knowledge. Are you interested? How about some comments.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Mon Sep 23, 2013 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
sambal badjak
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by sambal badjak » Sat Sep 14, 2013 18:19

I'm game
(pun intended, will be making game sausages at one point in time).
I've seen the "old" project N, and was sorry that that had finished by the time I registered

Because of my location, I might not always get all ingredients (or get them in time), but I can always make a plan.

We are good in that in Africa (we have to)!!!!!
life is too short to drink bad wine (anonymus)
ajwillsnet
User
User

count me in for project B

Post by ajwillsnet » Sat Sep 14, 2013 20:14

Looking forward to this. I learned a lot from the last project.

Bert
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sun Sep 15, 2013 02:51

Back where I used to work, we had an unofficial slogan: "There's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over."

...and with that in mind, I'd like to re-register as a beginner and sign up for Project B2. I probably never would have considered some of the items we made in Project B, back before we started, yet now several of them are my favorites! My technique can always use some improvement. My equipment can always use some tinkering. ...and there's always something new to learn and someone new to meet. ...meat to meet. ...or sumpthin'.

Thanks for "taking the plunge" again, Chuckwagon. Bring it on!

Duk
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
grasshopper
Passionate
Passionate

Post by grasshopper » Sun Sep 15, 2013 03:45

YEP a beginner again. Count me in for B2 The first go around was a lot of fun. Can you put various hot dogs in there, like hobble creek and maybe some chicken sausage. Never liked the ones I made (gave them away). Never stop learning, that is why I am called Grasshopper. Ride safe my friend.
tazplas
User
User

Post by tazplas » Mon Sep 16, 2013 05:44

OK

I'm in. Would love to learn more. Just got some Csabai from Crustyo44 :grin: and definitely keen to learn more.
Just bear in mind for us here in Oz that we may not be able to get the required Chr Hanson products such as F-RM-52.
We can get F-RM-7, F-1 & T-SPX from MBL

No mould cultures in Oz either.

Cheers

Steve
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Sep 19, 2013 20:47

Okay folks, hang on... we'll have to have a few more people sign up. I'll bump this topic to the top again so new members will see it. If you know anyone who would like to join WD and Project B, twist their arm and have them sign up. The registration will probably end in about a month.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 04:38

Project B was organized for those who wish to learn the very basics of sausagemaking. It was also for more experienced members who wished to participate to help others overcome some of the obstacles.
In describing the project, we had written: "There will be a ton of questions and we encourage those with experience to share their knowledge while remembering it is a beginner`s project. Let it be said upfront, "There are no `silly` questions here... just silly answers". The outline has been planned and written for absolute beginners with possible confidence problems and a suggested reading and study agenda is included. Once the registration has taken place, the forum topic will be closed to all persons not registered. This is to prevent those choosing NOT to participate from posting remarks or criticizing beginners` responses or sausage photos. The format includes reading and studying the very basic issues of the craft, while making "fresh" type sausages and then "cured & prep-cooked"- type sausages for grilling. Finishing up, we`ll touch on Semi-dry curing and even make a fermented spreadable sausage. As the chat opens, please pose questions that would help benefit others also. This is YOUR forum. All I ask is that we remember it is for beginners and not geared for more advanced sausages and techniques. (They will be studied in a later forum). Please remember courtesy, fellowship, and the rules of the WD forum.

Those signing in so far are:
1. ssorllih
2. El DuckO
3. Sambal Badjak
4. AJWillsnet
5. Grasshopper
6. Tasplas
7. Redzed
8. Crusty44
9. Hamn'Cheese
10. DDWaterdog
11. SAR
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Wed Sep 25, 2013 06:50, edited 4 times in total.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Mon Sep 23, 2013 05:02

Folks, step forward and sign up. I learned a lot from the last Project B. I hope to learn twice as much from Project B-Plus. Ask some good questions and we'll all learn. (I'll supply the silly answers, if you want.)(No, actually, I'll goad Chuckwagon into giving 'em.)

At any rate, several recipes and numerous techniques came out in Project B that I never would have learned about or tried, had I not signed up. In particular, I signed up again because I hope to improve my smoked, semi-dried results this time through. I still have a fear of sheep casings, but this time I have the proper size stuffer tube and a stuffer that can do the job. (See??? I learned THAT much!) ,,,and I learned how great Kabanosy and Csabii taste.

...looking forward to it, and to sharing new ideas (plus a few old ones).
redzed

Post by redzed » Mon Sep 23, 2013 18:19

Count me in. :grin: Ever since I became pre-occupied with this hobby, I have come to accept that the more I learn and practice, the more I realize how little I know! :shock:

Another go at B2 will definitely be beneficial. CW provides great bed-time reading material and it will be interesting to try a few new formulations. :lol:
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 19:40

CW,
Count me in as well. I am still on a steep learning curve. Redzed is correct with his post about knowledge.
Please make sure you add Csabai as a recipe as well.
Cheers,
Jan.
HamnCheese
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by HamnCheese » Tue Sep 24, 2013 13:51

OK, CW

Not sure that I'll be around for every step, but I'd love to do what I can, when I can.

Lynn
Youth is the gift of nature, but age is a work of art.
Stanislaw Lec
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Sep 25, 2013 00:21

It's lookin' good folks. :wink: I've been going over the material and changed the menu a bit so we're not making quite the same thing over again. I could surely use some of your suggestions. Have you folks got any special sausages in mind? We can adapt most recipes to meet the criteria. I'd like to start with "fresh sausage" and then make only three pounds of the same recipe with added cure and prep cooking. Most folks are amazed when they see the difference in the two methods. Next we'll make a few more cooked-smoked-cured sausages with their differences such as casings, diameter, ingredients, etc. As we gain experience, I'd like to introduce this group of folks to a "semi-dry cured product". If everyone hangs in there, we can ultimately follow up with another project in fermented (dry-cured) sausages.

We need a few more commitments before we proceed with Project B2. This one should be a lot of fun. Please suggest any favorites you may have.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
ddwaterdog

Post by ddwaterdog » Wed Sep 25, 2013 00:39

count me in