America's Cup

Talk about anything here as long as it is not against the rules.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

America's Cup

Post by crustyo44 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 09:04

Solely for our US sausage makers,
I just heard that us Ozzies won the Cup for you. I bet we are popular across the Tasman.
Makes me proud to be an OSTRALIAN by naturalization!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers Guys,
Jan.
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Thu Sep 26, 2013 13:38

Yup!! International crews on both boats. Sailing one of those rockets is entirely too much work for me. I will keep my sloop and have a nice dry place to sleep at the end of each day. :cool:
Ross- tightwad home cook
tazplas
User
User

Post by tazplas » Fri Sep 27, 2013 08:19

Hi Jan
Claiming the Ozzies won the cup for the US is a bit much isn't it. :shock:
NZ could easily claim it as well since it was Sir Russell Coutts (Kiwi) that was the the force behind the campaign and steered the whole show. :shock:
The US only had the money which as we know, quite often wins the Americas Cup.

At the end of the day though, definitely can't take anything away from the Oracle team for the comeback of the century. Well done and i hope to see plenty more AC72 racing.

Cheers

Steve
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Sent this to the largest NZ daily newspaper

Post by markjass » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:39

Do You think I will get a reply from a one eyed news paper reporter.

I enjoy sport, I will scream and shout and cheer along even if my team are not playing, win draw or lose what does it matter as long as it is a good game. It is only a game after all or is it?

The americas cup has been an amazing event for many reasons. The money involved, the sight of the yachts almost flying, the come back and most important of all, the hyper bowl. I am not into the americas cup (deliberate non use of capitals as it is not of any importance). I see it as a rich man`s sport and a waste of money. It has been amazing in NZ. The press has made it the most important, nationalistic event and issue of the last few weeks. Forget the Kenya massacre and the sad events going on in Syria. The smugness of a NZ press has got up my nose. "We" (who ever we are) are 8:1 up and a little nation like ours is showing the cheats how it is done (the major sponsor of the NZ team is an Arabic airline). Today the press is describing the loss as heroic. The pathetic attempt to belittle the American team by stating that there were many Kiwi's involved in the American team etc. Even the British press got involved. Apparently the US team replaced the tactician expert with a British person and they are drawing prowess from that.

Well I ask what is heroic about losing when you are 8-1 up, except when you are bolstering your ego. Since when do heroes roll over and let their bellies be tickled when the going gets tough, what kind or role model is that for the younger generation? I enjoy sport (hate the hyper bowl surrounding it) and realise how true Karl Marks was when he described sport as the opiate for the masses, come on people get real and do not get sucked in by the corporate elite.

For goodness sake a nation or a person is more than a sporting event. If you attach nationalism to sporting prowess and you lose does that mean that your nation is a failure; of course not. Look at nationalism and sport in the past (and still probably going on) the impact of Jessie Owens and the systemic doping during the 'Cold War' era etc. Yes it is great to win, but . . . and oh yes before I get off my high horse I remember an Aussie cricketer (being a pom I hate the Aussie cricketers) who had virtually single handily won a test match replied to a sports commentator who feted him with "it`s is not that important, it is not a matter of life or death, it is just a game". I am aware that a Columbian goal keeper was shot after he let a goal in. So it can be a matter of life and death!
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
tazplas
User
User

Post by tazplas » Fri Sep 27, 2013 15:43

Geez Mark

Calm down.

We're talking sailing here and friendly rivalry between Oz, NZ,US & UK Skippers, Tacticians, Crew and any other skill set it takes to win the 'Old Mug' including the sponsors money be it US, Emirates, NZ or otherwise.

If as you have stated, Americas Cup has no importance for you, then I'm not really sure why you have ventured in to this discussion or why you feel the need to bring up other international events or sport that is not relevant here to be included in this discussion.

Please raise another thread if you feel the need to discuss those subjects.

I'll state it again but more basically for those that missed it - Well done Oracle. And that's coming from someone born and raised in NZ who has nothing but praise for all efforts by all parties.
I still wanted NZ to win but alas it can not always be.

I'm going to leave it at that.

Cheers

Steve
ssorllih
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ssorllih » Fri Sep 27, 2013 19:24

Money is never waste in sports. It is spent to provide employment for thousands of people and enjoyment to millions. if you ask Chuckwagon he will tell you that cowboys can make a sport of anything that moves. I have even participated in a cow chip tossing contest. It is best to pick your own choices and make certain that they are dry.
Ross- tightwad home cook
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Fri Sep 27, 2013 19:32

ssorllih wrote:Money is never waste in sports. It is spent to provide employment for thousands of people and enjoyment to millions. if you ask Chuckwagon he will tell you that cowboys can make a sport of anything that moves. I have even participated in a cow chip tossing contest. It is best to pick your own choices and make certain that they are dry.
Yep. Even mud. Nothing like female mud wrestling. Don't care what country the winner is from or the loser for that matter. :mrgreen:

If you want to sell some beer and sausage dogs then host a female mud wrestling contest and you will be enlightened.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Sep 28, 2013 02:18

if you ask Chuckwagon he will tell you that cowboys can make a sport of anything that moves. I have even participated in a cow chip tossing contest. It is best to pick your own choices and make certain that they are dry.
Yup pard! And never, ever, ever.... compete on a hot summer day! :shock:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:26

Sometimes I wish!

I saw this today:

Lord, Keep your arm around My shoulder and your hand Over my mouth (or fingers) . . .
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime