#5 grinder closeout

el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

#5 grinder closeout

Post by el Ducko » Sun Mar 23, 2014 02:38

I blundered into a stock clearance at WallyWorld the other day, and bought a #5-size "Great Outdoors" electric meat grinder for 30 bucks. Tested it out on a small amount of pork chops and bacon, making chorizo. The thing came with two grinder plates, one with 3/16" and one with 1/8" hole diameter plates, finer than what I usually use. You have to keep the meat really chilled (partially frozen) to grind correctly with that size plates/holes, but that's a good idea anyway. It never stalled, so it has sufficient power. Overall impression- - small but good.

I went to BassPro and bought a #5 plate with 1/4" holes, which is more my style. This thing won't set any speed records, but what the heck- - I usually make small batches anyway. This may be a good way to avoid having to haul the grinder back and forth from Texas to North Carolina. ...and the price was right. Now, if I could just score another stuffer, cheap...
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.