My Journey with UMAi Bags

Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Thu Jul 17, 2014 13:56

cogboy wrote:My salumi and charcuterie kits arrived yesterday, I should have read the contents closer before ordering. There is no Bactoferm included w/ the salumi kit,time to order more stuff! :mrgreen:
There should be bactoferm in the salumi kit but not the charcuterie kit.
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 01:19

Shuswap wrote:
cogboy wrote:My salumi and charcuterie kits arrived yesterday, I should have read the contents closer before ordering. There is no Bactoferm included w/ the salumi kit,time to order more stuff! :mrgreen:
There should be bactoferm in the salumi kit but not the charcuterie kit.
Not in mine,I received instacure #2 in the charcuterie but no bactoferm is listed in the salumi packet
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Fri Jul 18, 2014 03:51

The Capicola was rinsed off, dried and smothered in Paprika. It was then placed in a UMAi bag and vacuum sealed. It weighed 1483 gms and needs to rest in the fridge until 30 - 40% of its weight is lost. When it first went into the fridge it weighed 1438 gms. Seems to be going in the wring direction.

Today I emailed UMAi asking them to confirm that their bags are the Tub-ex Tublin #10, not the Tublin #00 or Tublin #05. The 00 and 05 can be used for smoking meat but not the 10. No answer as yet and I`m not holding my breath.

Big improvement in our hardware as today we took delivery of our 20.5 cu ft upright freezer so DW doesn`t have to go diving any more in the small 20 yr old chest freezer. Hmmmm a curing chamber, eh!
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:30

Shuswap, I'm curious as to what size pork shoulder/butt you bought to get your coppa muscle.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Fri Jul 18, 2014 13:41

cogboy wrote:Shuswap, I'm curious as to what size pork shoulder/butt you bought to get your coppa muscle.
I just bought the coppa muscle from our local butcher but it was pricey at $4.27/lb. Now that we have the extra freezer space, I'll be buying the whole pork shoulder at Costco.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 19:43

About the same here in Australia if the specials are on. It is better to buy a whole forequarter here at $ 2.99 kg. Back legs same price.
Although belly pork is $ 15.99 kg.
Same as Ribs only racks.
You Americans have a lot to answer for. Ribs were given away as dog bones, same as lamb shanks until the cooking shows started on Satelite TV from Guess Where?
Now all this stuff costs a small fortune.
I'll be sticking to whole forequarters.
Cheers,
Jan.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jul 18, 2014 22:37

Shuswap wrote:I just bought the coppa muscle from our local butcher but it was pricey at $4.27/lb. Now that we have the extra freezer space, I'll be buying the whole pork shoulder at Costco.
Costco in BC sells only case lots of boneless skinless picnics. That cut is suitable for sausage. You need the top part of the shoulder, (called pork butt in Canada and Boston butt in the States), to cut out the coppa. Butts are available at Costco stores south of the 49, but not here.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sat Jul 19, 2014 04:27

Today I received a bulk pack of the vacmouse for sealing the UMAi bags. It was an insurance purchase because I haven't found a substitue that will seal the bags in my Foodsaver V2244.
No vacmouse, no seal and (pardon the pun) you are left high and dry.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Sat Jul 19, 2014 04:27

Shuswap wrote:Today I emailed UMAi asking them to confirm that their bags are the Tub-ex Tublin #10, not the Tublin #00 or Tublin #05. The 00 and 05 can be used for smoking meat but not the 10.
Looks like you're on to something big, Phil. I hope we don't have to pool our resources, buy the stuff by the 1000 kg bale, and keep it in the shed in CW's back yard.
...although getting together there every so often for sausages and Arbuckles wouldn't be half bad.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 08:16

MMMMmmmm! Roast Duck! :mrgreen:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sat Jul 19, 2014 16:13

UMAi has not responded to my email asking them to confirm that their bags are the Tublin #10 bag which cannot be used for smoking meat (unlike Tublin #00 or #05).
It is interesting that Misty Gully in Australia is offering both types of bag and has also developed a substitute for the Vacmouse insertion strip when sealing the bags.

Misty Gully suggests substituting a strip of the Foodsaver bag if the regular insertion strip is not available. I tried that but could not get a seal with my V2244.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 19:51

Hi Phil,
My vacuum sealer does not work with the UMAi bags properly either. Now I am shopping around for a decent Italian sealer.
I still used UMAi bags for my first 2 Coppa's but instead of sealing them I just wrapped them in the bags and put them in stretch netting.
They have dried very well and should be ready in about a week as I am aiming for a 40% weight loss.
Good luck,
Jan.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Sat Jul 19, 2014 20:44

Jan are you looking at a snorkel type? Let us know what you get. My DW will flip if I start talking another sealer :twisted:
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 20:59

Hi Phil,
I am looking at a new twin pump vacuum sealer called the MAXIMA 2. Made in Italy. Sold here with a 5 year warranty.
I am NOT telling my other half anything at the moment about it. It will arrive on our doorstep when I decide I need it. I like their warranty!!!
Cheers,
Jan.
crustyo44
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crustyo44 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 21:05

I also forgot to mention that on the UMAi Forum there is now a post that explains how to alter vacuum machines so you can get a good seal with their bags.
Lots of photo's and a good explanation.
The guy certainly went to lot of trouble as his post was initiated by my query
of sealing problems with their bags.
GREAT READING.
Jan.