Kiełbasa Swojska

redzed

Kiełbasa Swojska

Post by redzed » Thu Jul 17, 2014 19:03

What is kiełbasa swojska? Well, it's the name you call your own homemade sausage. The name is also given to country style sausages using recipes that were unique to an individual, family, or village. So if you craft a Polish type sausage and call it swojska you will never get the name wrong! Yesterday I made a 9kg batch of this sausage, using what I had on hand: 1.3kg venison, 1.2kg fatty picnic, 3.8kg lean picnic, 1.8kg. lean ham and 800g. backfat. I made ths sausage the traditional way by curing the prepared meat with salt and nitrite for 48 hours. Ground the fat, fatty pork and venison through a 6mm plate and the lean meat through a 12mm. Used 16g salt per kg and 2g cure 1 per kg (125ppm). Seasoned with white pepper, several cloves of garlic, dash of nutmeg and all spice and a bit of sugar. Smoked for 4 hours. No milk powder, soya or phosphates and the sausage is moist with a great mouthfeel. Anyone eating this kielbasa will never want that plastic clad supermarket stuff.

Last edited by redzed on Sat Dec 24, 2016 08:50, edited 2 times in total.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Jul 17, 2014 21:14

Wow great looking Kielbasa Chris!! I enjoy making it with venison in the mix also.

Your gardens always look so neat....don't weeds grow on that Island?
cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Fri Jul 18, 2014 01:20

Excellent !!!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jul 18, 2014 02:17

Looks professional as always Chris. For our readers, what type of casing did you use? Keep up the good work... and go pull a few weeds! :roll:
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jul 18, 2014 03:22

Hey Bob and CW, there are lots of weeds here on Vancouver Island, and they don't even take a break in the winter. However, I run this place with Prussian army discipline, and I don't allow weeds on my property! :lol:

Casings were from a hank of 35's. Used two different strands and there was a bit of a difference in the diameter between them. To smoke I used a mixture of apple and hickory pellets and a small handful of mesquite that I'm trying to get rid of. But don't tell anyone or they will remind me that Polish sausage is not smoked with that gnarly American quasi tree. :grin:
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Mesquite

Post by Shuswap » Fri Jul 18, 2014 03:35

Chris - if you want to hear a rant get Duk going on Mesquite! We drove through the Texas Hill Country with Russ & Betsy and he had nothing good to say about it! I've actually made some nice picture frames from it.
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Mesquite

Post by el Ducko » Sat Jul 19, 2014 03:17

Shuswap wrote:Chris - if you want to hear a rant get Duk going on Mesquite! We drove through the Texas Hill Country with Russ & Betsy and he had nothing good to say about it! I've actually made some nice picture frames from it.
Red is right. Mesquite is an invasive species that uses up all the water, killing all the grass and trees around it. It is suitable only as a source of smoke for cooking meats. ...or maybe for making picture frames.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Mesquite

Post by Shuswap » Sat Jul 19, 2014 03:38

el Ducko wrote:
Shuswap wrote:Chris - if you want to hear a rant get Duk going on Mesquite! We drove through the Texas Hill Country with Russ & Betsy and he had nothing good to say about it! I've actually made some nice picture frames from it.
Red is right. Mesquite is an invasive species that uses up all the water, killing all the grass and trees around it. It is suitable only as a source of smoke for cooking meats. ...or maybe for making picture frames.
:mrgreen:
Hey Duk , I thought any mention of Mesquite would get your attention :lol:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 08:24

Red, I've visited your wonderful Butchart Gardens. I didn't see anything that even resembled a weed. One of the most beautiful places on Earth it is!
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by king kabanos » Thu Jul 24, 2014 02:18

Hey red zed nice kielbasa you made their how did you finish the sausage after smoking it . In the smoker or did you use the hot water bath method
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jul 24, 2014 05:23

Hey King!

I finished the swojska in the smoker. By doing so, the casing is tougher and drier but the flavour is a bit more intense. Since it is "swojska" you can prepare it however you like it.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Dec 24, 2016 08:47

My Christmas sausage this year is a Kiełbasa Swojska, which means that it is basically my own sausage using spices and in amounts that I like. But I still wanted to make a traditional Polish sausage, with a minimum of ingredients and without any binders or additives found in commercial sausages. The meats were sorted and classified, cured for 48 hours, and each was ground with a different plate.

Redzed's 2016 Christmas Kiełbasa

Meats
Pork, lean (Class I) 400g
Pork, semi-fat (Class II 300g
Pork with connective tissue (Class III) 150g
Beef, lean (Class I) 150g

Ingredients per 1 kg of meat
Salt 17g
Cure #1 2g
Pepper 3.0g
Garlic 2.5g
All Spice 0.5g
Nutmeg 0.5g
Marjoram 0.5 g

Instructions
1. Cube all meats in 3-4cm pieces, keeping the different classes separate, but combine the Class III pork with the beef.
2. Add the salt and Cure #1 to the meats, distribute well, place in a covered container and transfer to a fridge for 48 hours.
3. Grind: lean pork - 12 mm; semi-fat pork - 7 mm; pork with connective tissue together with the beef - 3 mm plate, two times.
4. Thoroughly mix the ground beef and Class III pork adding 30% ice cold water. Add spices at this stage. This will be the glue that binds everything together.
5. Mix the Class I pork with the Class II until sticky. Combine with the ground beef and Class III pork mixture and mix everything together. Add a small amount of water if necessary.
6. Stuff into 32-35 mm hog casings. Form 8-10" (20-24) cm links.
7. Hang for 12 hours at 2-6° C (35-43° F) or for 2-3 hours at room temperature.
8. Smoke for 90 min at 57-60C (135-140F), then raise the temp to 72C (160F) and finish in the smoker at 82C (180F) for 20-30 min. until sausages reach 68C (155F) internal temperature and casings change from a reddish to a light brown colour.
9. Cool sausages in air and refrigerate.

StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Sat Dec 24, 2016 14:53

Chris - as always it is prima sort, perfectly crafted Polska kielbasa. Congrats for VIP. Wesolych Swiat Tobie i Rodzinie.
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Aug 05, 2017 06:36

Another "Swojska", made from what was on hand. It's been a while since I made a kielbasa with juniper berries, so i crafted this one with a few other ingredients. I used 32mm hog casings and 40mm collagen rounds. It has a nice flavour and came in handy on a camping trip.

Meats
2.5kg pork Class I, (picnic, butt)
2kg pork Class II, (picnic, butt)
2kg pork Class III, (picnic, butt, loin)
500g beef Class II, (cross rib)
130g pork back fat

Ingredients for 1 kg meat block
Salt, 18g
Cure #1, 2g (120ppm)
BP, finely ground, 2g
Garlic, fresh, 2.5g
Nutmeg, .5g
Allspice .3g
White mustard seed, whole 5g
Juniper berries, ground, 1.5g
Sugar, 2g
Water 40ml.

Instructions
1. Cure meats with salt and Cure #1, keeping the classes separate, for 48 hours in fridge.
2. Grind Class I with 10mm plate, Class II and back fat with 7mm and Class III and the beef with 3mm.
3. Mix the spices in the water, and add to meats.
4. Mix well, until it is very very sticky.
5. Stuff firmly, allow the sausage to set overnight at fridge temps or 2 hours at room temp.
6. Preheat smoker to 150F, allow to cool to 110F and hang sausage for one hour or until the casings are warm and dry and there are no droplets of water visible.
7. Smoke the kiełbasa for two hours at 135F and then for another hour at 150F
8. Preheat pot with water to 180F, transfer sausage directly from smoker to the pot and main a steady temp of the water at 170F.
9. Once the IT of the sausage reaches 155F, cool with water.
10. Hang the sausage at room temp for a couple of hours allowing it to bloom and then refrigerate.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sun Aug 06, 2017 02:35

Beautiful job Redzed. I like how everything is bound together like a whole cut of meat. I also think your curing the meat for two days prior to working it is worth the effort in the end because it really seems to put things at a higher level. IMO