Is This Any Good?

Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Is This Any Good?

Post by Krakowska » Tue Jul 22, 2014 17:37

Made pepperoni a few weeks ago (Pepperoni, Powder Keg, Semi-Dry-Cured Quick, (Bactoferm™ FLC) In the refrigerator for all this time and in a paper bag. Went to cut off a hunk today and discovered this. About 10 days ago decided to wipe down pepperoni with some vinegar, just a touch of mold (barely noticeable same as above picture). Need some advice fellas. Much appreciated, Fred :cool:
Keep them safe until they all come home.
sawhorseray
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sawhorseray » Tue Jul 22, 2014 18:08

Hmmm, seems like the kind of thing I'd have to have sampled by my official taste-tester. RAY

Last edited by sawhorseray on Thu Jul 24, 2014 08:41, edited 1 time in total.
“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.”
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Tue Jul 22, 2014 19:47

I wouldn't hesitate...it looks fine.

The casing will peel off if you don't want to eat the mold.

If you can vac seal...no O2 no mold...store in the fridge for months.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 20:28

Fred, that is Penicillium nalgiovense. It is exactly what you want and the color is perfect. Its presence is inhibiting the growth of the aflatoxins of toxogenic molds such as patulin, sterigmatocystin and verrucosidin. When you see any discoloration of mold, (green or black especially), wash down the sausage and spray it with a little "600". The coverage in the photo is just beginning. To eat the sausage, simply wipe off the mold.
These sausages look great Fred. Congrats pal. Sure beats the stuff in the grocery store eh?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Last edited by Chuckwagon on Thu Jul 24, 2014 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Wed Jul 23, 2014 02:00

Thank You My Friends, Much appreciated. So Much help is so much appreciated. Fred :cool:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jul 23, 2014 05:42

Hey Fred (Krakowska),
How about making some genuine Krakowska? I'd like to put an authentic recipe (containing a touch of nutmeg and pepper) in our new Project KB in the beginners section. We'd be making the "cured-cooked-smoked" Polish recipe from Seminole. We'd love to have you on the project.

Oh yes, Fred... everyone wants you to cut into that pepperoni and send along a photo! Hey... this stuff is in your blood now. Don't you wish you would have started this hobby in your twenties? :lol:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Krakowska
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Krakowska » Wed Jul 23, 2014 16:13

A lot leaner than it should be I guess BUT it was OK with Us. I got to admit it does have some "Smack" when you put it in your mouth. Had about 10 people over and had some extra old cheddar and this peperoni, everyone enjoyed it. Had the homemade pizza and again it was a hit. You really can get into some interesting conversations and people are intrigued in this hobby. Kind of cool since nobody knows anything about it and they listen, unlike politics, in which everyone "Knows it all" LOL
Thanks Again everyone, Fred :cool:

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Thu Jul 24, 2014 08:34

Fred, that is incredible! Beautiful photos. I suppose lots of folks would expect the color to be a lot darker like the stuff you buy in the market. If you want the pepperoni darker, just add real Hungarian paprika to the mixture next time. Don't use Spanish paprika - it's too bitter. Use the real Hungarian (sweet) paprika. The stuff is magic and will really make your pepperoni look much more "red", if that is what you desire. Some folks are even smoking the stuff these days although it is not a traditionally smoked sausage. The mahogany color just out of the smoker is quite attractive.
Funny, but I prefer much more coarse black pepper than the recipe calls for. Just my personal taste. Other folks say it's too hot, but I just like the flavor of black pepper. To each his own I suppose. It's a good thing we are not all alike eh? At any rate, you've done a first-class job on your project! Congratulations pal.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon