Polish Bacon Sausage - Kiełbasa Boczkowa

Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 08:51

Topic Split by Chuckwagon 091013@01:43. See: "Sausage Making Spread Sheet" in the 'Sausages' forum.
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Wed Sep 11, 2013 04:49

The recipe inspired me to use bacon in my latest batch of Texas Hot Links. Instead of pork butt, I used trimmed pork (sold locally as "pork for carnitas") and rounded out the fat to about 25% with bacon "ends and pieces."

It's a great recipe anyway (see the "Members' Recipes" portion of this website), but when you add bacon... WooHoo! The test patty, this morning, was great. I'll let it rest and dry a bit in the refrigerator, then smoke it.
:mrgreen:
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Aug 01, 2014 09:21

Finally, here is the translation of the Kiełbasa Boczkowa Parzona

First a bit of background and explanation. I was going to translate the recipe in a more colloquial format, but the Duck indicated in another thread that this somewhat technical outline had merit, so I proceeded with a literal translation. This recipe is taken from a Polish Government manual from the 1950's. It was prepared for Polish meat plants and not home production, that is why it uses such a stiff technical format. Marianski and Gebarowski's book Polish Sausages: Authentic Recipes and Instructions has a translation of that recipe, with some variance in the ingredient amounts, on p.174. A modified version of the bacon sausage recipe is on p.254 of Marianski's Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages, and is also found here http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... on-sausage

There has been a lot of confusion resulting Marianski's translations of this recipe using the term bacon. The Polish word boczek can be translated as side pork, a term used mostly in Canada and as pork belly, a term commonly used in the US. And when someone says boczek they can also refer to what we know as bacon in the English speaking world. In Polish, to be precise, it should be referred to as boczek wędzony (smoked bacon), and even the English term has snuck into the Polish language where cured, smoked side pork is called bekon. Why this philology you ask? Because the meat that is cubed and mixed with the other two parts, is side pork (belly) and not smoked prepared bacon. But, like the other cuts, it should be cured in salt, nitrire and sugar for 48 hours before mixing. From the English language versions of the recipe it was very easy to misunderstand what exactly was meant by bacon, so hobbyists made it with the ready made stuff. And hey, if it works, why not? Just remember to adjust (reduce) the amount of nitrite and salt to correspond with the weight of the bacon.

Poached Bacon Sausage

Recipe for 5kg of meat

A. Meat cuts

1. Beef Class II or I, cured 1.25 kg
2. Beef Class I or II, ( no sinews - may be from the leg ), cured - 0.75 kg
3. Class III pork, cured - 1.25 kg
4. Side pork, cured - 1.25 kg
5. Pork jowl, cured - 0.5 kg

B. Ingredients and materials

I. Ingredients:
a) used for curing :
1. salt - 105g
2. saltpetre (nitrate) - 5g
If any of you actually proceed with this sausage, use 2g of Cure 1 per kg of meat. As to the salt, use 15 to 18g.
b ) added during production :
1. salt - 10g
2. pepper - 6g
3. paprika - 1g
4. ginger - 1g
5. sugar - 5g
6. coriander - 1g
7. garlic - 5g

II. Auxiliary materials:
1. Synthetic casings with a diameter of 70 mm
2. Butcher's twine No. 6

C. Form of raw product after processing :
Beef Class II or I, class III and pork jowl comminuted with 2 mm plate at least two times.
Beef Class I or II ( without sinews ) comminuted by of 5 mm plate. Side pork cut into 15 mm. cubes

D. Form the finished product :
Sausage in lengths of 35-40 cm. At one end a 10-12cm loop for hanging, the other end tied with string.

Condensed Instructions
1. Curing:
According to earlier instructions (sugar is added to the salt and saltpetre ) .
2. Commimution
According to the recipe .
3. Emulsifying (double grinding)
Beef class II or I ( with sinews) and pork class III is ground at least 2 times through 2mm plate and then mixed with about 300ml of cold water.
While mixing add the rest of the salt and spices .
4. Mixing:
Mix the emulsified preparation of beef, pork, spices and water with the beef Class I or II (without sinews) and jowls, and lastly the cubed side pork. Everything is then mixed until a uniform blend and a proper consistency is achieved.
5. Stuffing and tying:
Stuff casings tightly and tie off with butcher's twine.
6. Setting (drying):
2-3 hours .
7. Smoking :
Hot smoke for about 100 minutes . While smoking it is necessary to rotate the sticks.
8. Poaching:
Water temperature of 72-75 degrees Celcius for about 80 minutes until the internal temperature of the sausage reaches 68-70 degrees C.
9. Cooling :
After poaching the sausage is cooled with cold water for 2-4 minutes and placed in a room cooled to a temperature below 12 degrees C. Cooling is allowed up to a temperature of 18 degrees C.
During or before cooling , it is suggested that the sausages be showered with hot water.

Author: Maxell

Original Polish version here: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/kielbasy/nietrw ... wa-parzona
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Aug 01, 2014 14:11

Thanks, Redzed, for a nice bit of translating work. You've revealed a good recipe, plus some fascinating insights into the Polish language. ...fantastic.

So, regarding the format, what do you think? It's obviously a great recipe, and the write up is very detailed. It's not very conversational, but it's very thorough. Does the format help, or does it get in the way?

I would hate to mandate this combination of stiff format plus stiff style of writing. However, the format has value in reminding the author to cover all the details. The original document was a government report, so the writing is necessarily stiff. If the writing were in a more casual style, maybe the format would be useful.

...useful for us??? I still don't know. The way you guys write is a whole lot more entertaining! I'm willing to try it, though. When we get started, I'll "translate" the first recipe from CW's Utah format to Proposed format.

Maybe the answer is to use both- the free-form version to interest the reader, then the formal version to preserve the recipe for later re-use. What do you think?
Duk
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Fri Aug 01, 2014 14:28

"A. Meat cuts

2. Beef Class I or II, ( no sinews - may be from the leg ), cured - 0.75 kg "

While talking format, I caught myself re-reading the meat cuts in 1 and 2 to understand what the difference is. I understand the difference to be no sinew in 2 while there is sinew in 1. I don't understand why the reference to classes of beef are reversed.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Aug 01, 2014 17:08

Shuswap wrote:A. Meat cuts

2. Beef Class I or II, ( no sinews - may be from the leg ), cured - 0.75 kg "

While talking format, I caught myself re-reading the meat cuts in 1 and 2 to understand what the difference is. I understand the difference to be no sinew in 2 while there is sinew in 1. I don't understand why the reference to classes of beef are reversed.
Polish meat classification is discussed throroughly in the Marianski/Gebarowski Polish Sausages book. A summary is found here:http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage ... on/classes. Class 1 and class 2A never hve any tendons or sinew, Class 2B has a very small amount and class 3 has a substantial amount. The recipe simply stresses that none of the class 2 should have it. And the class 3 meat ( which is emulsified) has it without saying.
el Ducko wrote:Thanks, Redzed, for a nice bit of translating work. You've revealed a good recipe, plus some fascinating insights into the Polish language. ...fantastic.

So, regarding the format, what do you think? It's obviously a great recipe, and the write up is very detailed. It's not very conversational, but it's very thorough. Does the format help, or does it get in the way?

I would hate to mandate this combination of stiff format plus stiff style of writing. However, the format has value in reminding the author to cover all the details. The original document was a government report, so the writing is necessarily stiff. If the writing were in a more casual style, maybe the format would be useful.

...useful for us??? I still don't know. The way you guys write is a whole lot more entertaining! I'm willing to try it, though. When we get started, I'll "translate" the first recipe from CW's Utah format to Proposed format.

Maybe the answer is to use both- the free-form version to interest the reader, then the formal version to preserve the recipe for later re-use. What do you think?
Not sure whether people beginning to make sausage want to get into classification of the meat. Most like to buy a pork butt and run with it. Classification is for those lucky enough to be processing larger quantities of meat and are breaking down whole carcasses. This bacon sausage is actually not that simple if you want to make it correctly. You need different cuts pork and beef, you grind, emulsify and cube, and use large diameter casings. Not something for a beginner. If I were going to select a Polish sausage for a beginner, I would choose the peasant sausage (kielbasa chłopska). That sausage is very flexible with the meat selection, and you can finish it in the smoker, poach it or semi dry it.

And, if I may say, since we are all hobbyists, amateurs and dilettantes here, we should use use every day language in describing the process. Getting too technical might discourage some, and we want to have fun. :lol:
el Ducko
Veteran
Veteran

Post by el Ducko » Fri Aug 01, 2014 21:12

How's this for a less formal use of the format? The sausage is a recent Linguiça (Bruce Aidells' recipe) that I made. Hopefully this is more useable. The two sections are repetitive to a degree, but...
Duk

Raw Material Treatment
step 1 Separate fat, cut meat into strips.
step 2 Mix, refrigerate meat plus added spices overnight
step 3 Grind meat coarse (1/2" or 3/8"), fat 1/4". Mix well by hand.
step 4 -
Finished Product Treatment
detail 1 Stuff into medium hog casings. Tie 10" links.
detail 2 Air dry and cold smoke for 12 hours. Optionally hot smoke to 155 degF IMT.
detail 3 -
Abstract:
Pickle: Separate fat, cut meat into strips. Mix, refrigerate meat plus added spices overnight.
Grind: Grind meat coarse (1/2" or 3/8"), fat 1/4".
2nd Grind: -
Mix: Mix well by hand.
Stuff & Tie: Medium hog casings, 10" links.
Rest: Air dry
Smoke: Dry + cold smoke 12 hours. Optionally dry + hot smoke to 155 degF IMT.
Cool: -
Store: up to 1 week in refrigerator, 2 months in freezer.
Package: plastic vacuum pack
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Aug 01, 2014 22:02

I think it looks fine and it's easy for follow. I tend to embark on a lengthy narrative, so it's good to compartmentalize!

Topic Split by Chuckwagon 8/4/14@2031 - See: "Sausage Chatter" in "Stickies" section.
Link: http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=27805#27805

:oops:
Last edited by redzed on Tue Aug 05, 2014 03:40, edited 1 time in total.