[CAN] Salami Con Funghi

redzed

[CAN] Salami Con Funghi

Post by redzed » Sat Dec 07, 2013 05:27

This was my second attempt at preparing a mushroom flavoured salami. The first was my Salami Con Finferli (using chanterelles), that did not turn out as well as I had hoped. This one, however, is much better in taste and colour and you can detect the flavour and aroma of the mushrooms. Today's photo is of salami that was made six weeks ago. The larger diameter one has a loss of over 40% while the thin one over 50%. The salami was was flavoured with king boletus (porcini), admirable boletus, chantarelle and lobster mushrooms, dried and ground to a fine powder. All shrooms were harvested by me this autumn.

Mushroom Salami

2.5 kg class I pork
500g. backfat
7.5g Cure #2
75g salt
6g dextrose
9g sugar
6g. white pepper
15g coarsely ground black pepper
3tsp thyme
3g garlic powder
75g grated Romano cheese
75ml chilled red wine
40g mushroom powder
6g T-SPX starter culture

Meat and fat ground through 6mm plate. Fermented for 48 hrs at 22° and 90% humidity.
Starting pH was 5.72 after 24hrs and 5,04 after 48hrs. So it fermented exactly the way it was supposed to.
Last edited by redzed on Fri Jan 03, 2014 05:34, edited 1 time in total.
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Sat Dec 07, 2013 18:37

Nice lookin' project Chris. Looks tasty! :wink:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Jul 30, 2014 04:46

Made another batch of mushroom salami today. Similiar to the recipe above but reduced the amount of shroom powder, omitted the cheese, used fresh Spanish garlic and added fresh sage. Also ran out of T-SPX, so used Mondostart from Stuffers.

cogboy
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by cogboy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:51

I hope you post pics of the finished product!
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jul 31, 2014 05:58

cogboy wrote:I hope you post pics of the finished product!
You bet! Check back in about 5 weeks. :grin:
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Sep 03, 2014 03:09

The mushroom salame turned out very well, and actually better than the previous one. I adjusted the rercipe in that I added some sage and s. erythorbate and omitted the romano cheese. And although I always use granulated garlic in my dry cured products, I had just scored some beautiful and pungent Spanish garlic from Quebec, so how could I not use it?

The salami did, however, develop a bit of a dry rim and that is due to the fact that it was left in my chamber unattended for nearly three weeks while I was travelling. Next week I will be in the Whistler area hunting for Boletus Edulis and if I am lucky, will craft a porcini salame.