1 Tbs. cure #1
1/4 tsp. cardamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 Tbs. dextrose
4 Tbs. salt
1 cup powdered milk
1/2 tsp. garlic granules
15 oz. ice water

Grind meat together through a 3/16 " plate, add spices and water, mix until you get a bind. Stuff into 3-4" cases. Let rest overnight in the fridge to meld to spices and cure. Place in smoker at 120 F for 2 hrs, no smoke. Increase temp to 150 F apply smoke for 4 hrs, increase temp to 170 F and continue until internal temp of 155 F. Remove from smoker and shower with cold water for 5 minutes then hang at room temp for 2 hrs to bloom. Place in cooler overnight then slice or package.
Last edited by Big Guy on Fri Jul 15, 2011 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Zac
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dave Zac » Thu Jul 14, 2011 16:38

That my friend, looks like a winner!

Nice job Big Guy
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 00:42

Very nice indeed Big Guy. Thanks for sharing.
I've got a question. What is the liquid in the photo with the spices? Is that an egg in the mix? Or was yer' ol' nose just drippin' that day? :shock:
Just kiddin' with ya Big Guy. The recipe looks fantastic. I can't wait to try it. Is it your own?

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Big Guy
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Big Guy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 03:28

I can't get away with any thing around here. It is indeed an egg white. that picture is actually of a batch of bratwurst that I was making at the same time. the photos got mixed up. I figured no one would notice. WRONG. LOL :oops:
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Fri Jul 15, 2011 05:08

Shucks Big Guy,
No need to apologize for a drippy nose! I'm just tickled to pieces that you're still cleaning your ol' grinder! :mrgreen:

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it probably needs more time on the grill! :D
Maz
User
User

Post by Maz » Fri Jul 15, 2011 17:25

Well done Big Guy this is a must do, I love the stuff even though Chuck did put me off a bit. :lol:
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Fri Jul 15, 2011 20:36

Hi Big Guy,

Looking at the last photo "sliced and ready to eat", it has delicious written all over the Bierwurst.

I'd also like to try making this one day!

Regards

Ron
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Bier Wurst: Thanks, Big guy!

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue Jul 19, 2011 19:16

After reading Big Guy's post making Bier wurst, I decided to give it a go this past weekend. I was really pleased with the results. Since I had most of the ingredients on-hand already, I thought, 'why not?' In hind-sight, I should have started earlier in the day, but live  learn. My batch was only going to be 5lbs, so I had to adjust BigGuys 25lb recipe.
The recipe called for 1/4 tsp cardamom (25lb recipe), but since I had no cardamom in the house, I figured for 5lbs, a  missing 'pinch' of the spice would hardly be noticed.

I coarse-ground 2.5lbs of beef and 2.5lbs of pork shoulder. Spices mixed & re-ground through the fine plate (3mm). I only had 44mm collagen chubs so I used those. Filled four of them with enough left over to fill a collagen ring casing.
Once stuffed, these sat overnight in the fridge.

Next day, I hung 'em in the smoker. no smoke for the first 90 minutes; 130° to dry them well before applying smoke.

After 90 minutes, I lit the a-maze-n smoker (cherry wood dust). I used an electric hot-plate for the first time in the smoker and found it to be an outstanding addition in keeping the temps constant at 150°-no easy chore with a large propane smoker. Smoked the chubs for 4 hours.

After nearly 2 hours of smoke @150°

I then cranked up the temp (propane) to 170° for the next two hours, then bumped it up to 180°. FINALLY, the IT made it to 155°  but not until midnight(!), some 12 hours after I first put them in.

Hanging to bloom in the early morning hours.....

After 2 hours, I moved them to the fridge.

The results the next morning:

Very tasty & they smell great! Next time I'll use a larger diameter casing (3.5-4") for sandwich-sized slices. Mild flavor; pleasing texture. A little 'tang' would be a nice addition next time too. I fried some up & sure enough, very similar to a good fried bologna!

Thanks for posting your results, Big Guy!
This one is a keeper! :mrgreen:

-Kevin
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. — Hebrews 13:8
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Tue Jul 19, 2011 21:47

Nice lookin' sausage NorCal.
You wrote:
My batch was only going to be 5lbs, so I had to adjust BigGuys 25lb recipe.
Uh... not tryin' to look over yer' shoulder, but Big Guy's recipe was for 15 not 25 lbs. Important when adjusting spices. Not being critical. Just being observant.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Tue Jul 19, 2011 22:24

Chuckwagon wrote:Nice lookin' sausage NorCal.
You wrote:
My batch was only going to be 5lbs, so I had to adjust BigGuys 25lb recipe.
Uh... not tryin' to look over yer' shoulder, but Big Guy's recipe was for 15 not 25 lbs. Important when adjusting spices. Not being critical. Just being observant.

Best Wishes,
Chuckwagon
Yes, indeedie, 15 not 25. My typo there.
I adjusted to 1/3 the amount, not 1/5.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Jul 20, 2011 00:06

Hi NorCal Kid,

That Bierwurst is looking so good it does not have to ask even once to be eaten.

As a point of interest, would you smoke a second batch of Bierwurst with Cherry wood-dust again?
Does the Cherry leave a hint of sweetness in taste?

Reason I'm asking is, we all have our preferential taste, and I have never tried anything else than Beech wood for sausage.
Ron
NorCal Kid
Passionate
Passionate

Post by NorCal Kid » Wed Jul 20, 2011 00:33

Bubba wrote:Hi NorCal Kid,

That Bierwurst is looking so good it does not have to ask even once to be eaten.

As a point of interest, would you smoke a second batch of Bierwurst with Cherry wood-dust again?
Does the Cherry leave a hint of sweetness in taste?

Reason I'm asking is, we all have our preferential taste, and I have never tried anything else than Beech wood for sausage.
Thanks, Bubba.
Well I could have gone with either hickory, maple or cherry (its what I have on hand currently). Since this was a NEW recipe for me, I wanted the flavor of the meat to show through and not overwhelm it with too strong a smoke.

Since the wurst already has a subtle sweetness to it, one could go a bit 'heartier' with the hickory, although I find the light flavor of the cherry a nice compliment to the wurst.

I've used milder woods like pecan & maple for poultry, fish, even andouille (!) and more assertive chunks of hickory for garlic sausages & polish kielbasa. I've not had much success with mesquite as the results often are bitter.
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Wed Jul 20, 2011 01:15

That's very interesting NorCal Kid,

I will try Cherry wood in the future, it's one of those that one would like to hear from someone that has used it before. From your posting I will try it.

If you would like to try a 50/50 mix of Apple and Hickory on Chicken some time, I used that on brined Chicken breasts a few times and everyone loves the combination of "pleasant smokey with hint of sweet".

Then I have tried Pecan on Pork Ribs (they were good!), but never tried Maple or Mesquite.
Maple is probably also in the near future for a trial.

Regards
Ron
Ron
uwanna61
Passionate
Passionate

Post by uwanna61 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 02:13

Wow I`m impressed; I like mustard seeds in salami! Kind of reminds me of beer salami, I have made in the past. Definitely will have to give this one a try, good job guys!
Chuckwagon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chuckwagon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 03:58

Topic Split 7.19.11@20:55 by Chuckwagon. See also: Topic: "Smoke" in Forum "Technology Basis"