I also made Pepperoni in drybags tonight

User avatar
Devo
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 495
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 19:25
Location: Ontario

I also made Pepperoni in drybags tonight

Post by Devo » Wed Dec 03, 2014 02:04

Using this recipe from another forum I belong to, I compared it to a few others and the only thing I changed was I added black pepper to it and the way he used the starter culture just does not sit right with me so I followed the recommended amounts on the package.

His recipe
Ingredients


5 lbs pork shoulder (frozen for at least 2 weeks) trimmed and ground fine
1/4 Cup kosher salt
1 tsp. insta cure #2
1 Tbsp. Dextrose
1 Tbsp. Bactoferm F-RM-52(have no idea why he said so much)
2 Tbsp. Paprika (I used my smoked Hungarian Paprika)
1 Tbsp. Chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. hot cayenne pepper( I used my smoked cayenne)
1 tsp. fennel, toasted and cracked
1 Tbsp. Minced garlic
2 Tbsp. Dry red wine
1/4 cup distilled ice water



So here we go with some pepperoni in the dry bags (32MM). They say it will be ready in 2-3 weeks. I will keep ya all posted.

The package the bags come in
Image

All me spice`s
Image

The mix waiting for the Bactoferm F-RM-52
Image

All stuffed into 4 Drybags
Image
Image

Using my curing chamber as the fermenting place. Heater and humidifier going so I get the right temp and humility. (84 F & about 76% RH for 72 hours)
Image

More to come
User avatar
redzed
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3385
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 06:29
Location: Vancouver Island

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 03, 2014 04:37

That looks like a good recipe. I will have to give it a try since I have never made a pepperoni that gave me much of a thrill, even though I am a fan of most Italian products. The one tablespoon of culture to 5lbs of meat is a bit of an overkill, however that is something that won't affect the outcome. I normally make my salami in 3 or 4 kg. batches and add one half teaspoon. Sometimes a bit more if the culture is nearing expiry. Looking forward to seeing the results.
User avatar
Devo
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 495
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 19:25
Location: Ontario

Post by Devo » Wed Dec 03, 2014 04:54

Ya it interested me also. I'm not a big fan of pepperoni unless its on pizza. So I don't use that much of it but I am getting bored sitting inside waiting for some warmer days so I made this just to pass the time. Wish it would warm up a bit so I can go ice fishing. I hate winter more and more as I get older.
Any ways I also didn't use the fine grind he mentioned. I really don't like the texture of a fine grind unless its a Hotdog :mrgreen:
User avatar
Bob K
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2107
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 15:16
Location: Northwest Ct

Post by Bob K » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:42

That does sound like a recipe to try.
Devo wrote:Using my curing chamber as the fermenting place. Heater and humidifier going so I get the right temp and humility. (84 F & about 76% RH for 72 hours)
F-RM-52 is a fast acting culture and at 84f it should only take 12-24 hrs to ferment.
You may want to check the Ph drop
90% RH is better for fermenting regular casings....not sure about the UMAI

I would bet it works a lot better with the UMAI process than T-SPX, due to the shorter drying time involved.
User avatar
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 14:05
Location: British Columbia

Post by Shuswap » Wed Dec 03, 2014 15:35

Bob K wrote:90% RH is better for fermenting regular casings....not sure about the UMAI
Bob, the Umai bag is not a casing. As the pepperoni dries the meat shrinks leaving the bag loose around the meat.
Devo, I see you didn't use the zip ties - with my arthritic hands I found them easy to use compared to tying string. Looking forward to seeing the final result with the medium grind.
Phil
User avatar
Devo
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 495
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 19:25
Location: Ontario

Post by Devo » Wed Dec 03, 2014 15:50

Bob K wrote:That does sound like a recipe to try.
Devo wrote:Using my curing chamber as the fermenting place. Heater and humidifier going so I get the right temp and humility. (84 F & about 76% RH for 72 hours)
F-RM-52 is a fast acting culture and at 84f it should only take 12-24 hrs to ferment.
You may want to check the Ph drop
90% RH is better for fermenting regular casings....not sure about the UMAI

I would bet it works a lot better with the UMAI process than T-SPX, due to the shorter drying time involved.
At 90% RH my chamber becomes a rain forest, don't need water dripping out the door. And yes I planned on checking the Ph every day just to see where its at.
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 21:11
Location: Chicago

Post by rgauthier20420 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 15:52

I'll jump on this wagon. I've been wanting to try these UMAI bags and since I've got some birthday money I just want and bought them. I picked up the 50mm version though as I like a larger diameter final product. Good luck on these and keep us posted. They look good so far.
User avatar
Devo
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 495
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 19:25
Location: Ontario

Post by Devo » Wed Dec 03, 2014 17:22

rgauthier20420 wrote:I'll jump on this wagon. I've been wanting to try these UMAI bags and since I've got some birthday money I just want and bought them. I picked up the 50mm version though as I like a larger diameter final product. Good luck on these and keep us posted. They look good so far.
I think you will like the bags once you get used to them, very easy to use. I had placed an order for the 50 MM ones also last week for the very reason you mentioned. Plus it was free delivery. :wink:
Devo, I see you didn't use the zip ties - with my arthritic hands I found them easy to use compared to tying string.
Well yes I was all out of zip ties so string it was, I did double heat seal the bottoms just so I didn't have to tie so many knots :mrgreen:
User avatar
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 444
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 14:05
Location: British Columbia

Post by Shuswap » Wed Dec 03, 2014 17:34

Devo wrote:Well yes I was all out of zip ties so string it was, I did double heat seal the bottoms just so I didn't have to tie so many knots
That's what I found interesting about the procedure for this recipe. To my reckoning, the use of zip ties meant that the bag did not need to be air tight at the ends. I'm used to double sealing as well but guess it isn't necessary with the pepperoni.
Phil
User avatar
redzed
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 3385
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 06:29
Location: Vancouver Island

Post by redzed » Wed Dec 03, 2014 18:13

Devo wrote:I think you will like the bags once you get used to them, very easy to use. I had placed an order for the 50 MM ones also last week for the very reason you mentioned. Plus it was free delivery. :wink:
Well I broke down and ordered the 50mm bags. Have to see what the noise is all about. :grin: Unfortunately I missed the free shipping promo. :sad: And it will be a while until I experiment as I won't be back home for a couple of months. :neutral:
User avatar
Devo
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 495
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 19:25
Location: Ontario

Post by Devo » Wed Dec 03, 2014 21:33

Well good for your Red, I know from the old timers and the so called pros they think the bags a garbage but hey be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!I like them and one heck of a lot of other people using them seem to think they are great.

Late this afternoon I checked the Ph and yes it was down to under 5 so out they came and into the refrigerator. Hopefully they will be done before Christmas and I can give some away to family.

You can see how much darker they are in just 24 hours.
Image
rgauthier20420
Frequent User
Frequent User
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon May 12, 2014 21:11
Location: Chicago

Post by rgauthier20420 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 21:53

Devo, those really do look great! It looks like my 50mm bags have shipped, so I'm hoping to get to give this a shot very soon. Thanks for inspiring and kicking me in the a$$ to get them.
User avatar
Devo
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 495
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 19:25
Location: Ontario

Post by Devo » Wed Dec 03, 2014 22:42

There is or was a discussion on one of the facebook page's that I am following about these bags. Some of those guys on there think they wrote the book on dry curing. To bad they don't come here and learn the basics before they open their mouth on print.

This is just one post but there are many more.

Christian Spinillo let me repost: Umai bags are not what you should or should want to use for your drying period. They don't come close to a chamber conditions and produce significantly sub par results

there are chefs all over the country and world that make salumi at lower temps, several in this group as a matter of fact. It's also thought that drying at lower temps and higher humidity which makes for longer drying times, results in product with more developed flavor. I think you're shorting yourself on quality of your end product by relying on the umai.

To be honest, this why people have become accepting of sub par products being served in restaurants. Chefs have compromised standards in favor of capitalizing on the "cured in house programs" that are all the rage, so to speak. If someone doesn't have the space or equipment to produce a good product, they shouldn't do it. I think you're better off bringing in quality products from other makers rather than making products that are less than optimal.
User avatar
Bob K
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2107
Joined: Sun Jun 02, 2013 15:16
Location: Northwest Ct

Post by Bob K » Thu Dec 04, 2014 16:01

Those look great Devo.

I really think the faster acting culture with a quick pH drop below 5.3, will make the water molecules let go of the protein, and it will happen more evenly throughout the whole thickness and help with the mushy centers that a lot of folks complain about. It should be a big help with the faster drying times achieved in the fridge.
User avatar
Gray Goat
Frequent User
Frequent User
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 20:08
Location: Crystal Lake IL

Post by Gray Goat » Fri Dec 05, 2014 02:20

I will be following this closely Devo. If I do pepperoni again, I will use this recipe, it looks great :grin:

Bob K wrote:Those look great Devo.

I really think the faster acting culture with a quick pH drop below 5.3, will make the water molecules let go of the protein, and it will happen more evenly throughout the whole thickness and help with the mushy centers that a lot of folks complain about. It should be a big help with the faster drying times achieved in the fridge.
Great point Bob. I used the T-SPX culture and the center was a bit soft even after a weight loss of 38%. I will try the F-RM-52 if I make more pepperoni
Post Reply