Kangaroo Sausage

Aaron
User
User

Kangaroo Sausage

Post by Aaron » Sun Jan 11, 2015 03:52

Topic was split from http://wedlinydomowe.pl/en/viewtopic.php?p=30859#30859

Thank you Jan, Irdeer and Chris for your replies
It's good to get the responses....I thought I had stuffed up big time !

I defrosted some of the sausage in the fridge ready for last nights meal with friends
and they looked great.....Of course......then I go and burn some of them 0n the BBQ........ :sad:
Last edited by Aaron on Sun Jan 11, 2015 15:45, edited 2 times in total.
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Sun Jan 11, 2015 04:13

Ok....so I just want to get this right.....if I run through the process that I think is right then please let me know so...Cheers!

If using from frozen meat supply....par thaw and process/mince...keeping everything cold....stuff and make sausage and "prove" or "Bloom" sausage in fridge overnight....Then cryvac to then either refreeze or keep in fridge for a week or so.

Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Sun Jan 11, 2015 04:49

I would liken Roo meat very much to Venison.....No fat ..just protein....Strong gamey flavor
Yes..the males are stronger in flavor and I was expecting this one to be on the nose a bit but because I was processing par thawed it hardly smelt at all
This was a lump of Rump that had been taken from a roo that was hung for a few days before butchering
I kept this recipe really simple as I wanted to get the most taste from the meat content first time round so that I know what flavor I'm dealing with.

Recipe:
Kangaroo rump and Pork shoulder at 50/50 ratio
to 4 kilos of total meat and fat weight:

tbs. smoked paprika
tbs. ground dried bush tomato
tbs. mountain pepper
2 percent salt to total meat weight.....( I think I would use 1.75 percent next time)
tbs. fresh diced garlic
10.5 grams pink salt (to 4 kilos of total meat)
7 metres of natural Hog casing
1 cup of ice water
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Jan 11, 2015 15:53

Looks good Aaron....Did that lovely lady come to demo the new mincer ?

I would cut the salt back to 1.5% if it was too salty.

If it is a fresh sausage and not smoked you could also eliminate the cure (pink salt).
Janlab
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by Janlab » Sun Jan 11, 2015 22:12

Hey Aaron,
Looks great! I'll come for a taste sample when I'm back in Albany.
JL
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Mon Jan 12, 2015 01:36

Thanks Bob and Jan for your posts
Yes Bob!...I think Karen should become the local agent for Double M Mincers....She could sell a few I reckon!!!!
Thanks for the tips on pink salt...I would have rather not put it in but I was sort of guided by the books I've been reading such as 'Charcuterie'.
I agree about the salt content down to 1.5.....my 2 percent was way over the top for my liking.

Jan
Why don't you PM me when you get home to arrange a Roo Sausage BBQ and a beer!
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Jan 12, 2015 04:55

Roo would be interesting.
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Mon Jan 12, 2015 09:01

Butterbean wrote:Roo would be interesting.
Venison isn't too different from Roo Butterbean......We have a Farmer here who breeds Venison so I have tried both and they are both extremely lean dark red meats..I'm sure there are taste differences to wild Vs Farmed though
lrdeer
Beginner
Beginner

Post by lrdeer » Mon Jan 12, 2015 09:40

Aaron, I can recommend Kangaroo in any smallgoods as long as you have the right fat content, it can be very dry otherwise. On the weekend I made some Venison and Kangaroo Smoked Summer Sausage from the Len Poli recipe, it is the second time I have made this smoked sausage, it is sensational, I used Sambar Deer (2.7kgs) and Kangaroo (1.0kgs) and 900 gms of free range shoulder pork fat for roughly a 10lb recipe. I smoked it using a blend of Hickory chips and River Sheoak which has a strong flavor too, the smoked sausage was rested overnight in the fridge and vacuum packed yesterday, the flavor will improve with time and it will probably last me a month or two, depending on who get's a sniff that I have got some. I also made some Braunschweiger from the Rytek Kutas book using the same combination of meats, it to is sensational, good luck with your venture. Oh, I also added 2 cups of full cream milk powder to the recipes as a binding agent, it is just perfect.
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:46

That sounds really bloody nice ....Sambar Deer??...Not sure if I can score that but I can substitute with local venison perhaps.....
Well Done a good effort me thinks! :mrgreen:
I know that I can start on line ordering meat from NSW ect but we have so much on offer here it's easier just to change the recipe a little and keep it local.

What's your next project??
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Mon Jan 12, 2015 16:08

Aaron wrote:
Butterbean wrote:Roo would be interesting.
Venison isn't too different from Roo Butterbean......We have a Farmer here who breeds Venison so I have tried both and they are both extremely lean dark red meats..I'm sure there are taste differences to wild Vs Farmed though
Differences even with wild deer but in all I think about the same. I have one place I hunt where the deer meat has been a pale ham color yet all deer taken from another farm have been dark fleshed. I attribute difference mainly to diet.

Have you made any pasturma with the roo yet?
Aaron
User
User

Post by Aaron » Tue Jan 13, 2015 00:02

Butterbean wrote:Have you made any pasturma with the roo yet?
No..I haven't made Pasturma...I've ony just starting to make sausage.
I started off doing Bacon, Pancetta, Bresaola etc along with pates, terrines an rillettes So My Roo and Pork shoulder was only my second attempt at sausage making!