Hamburger Buns & Dried Beef Bread Loaf

Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Hamburger Buns & Dried Beef Bread Loaf

Post by Devo » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:49

My bread starter needed to be refreshed so Saturday was bread day. Wanted some hamburger buns and thought i would give something different a try. Found a recipe on http://www.kingarthurflour.com/
stuffed baguettes. Looked good so I went with it.

Buns

The stuffed bread (smoked dried beef, monterey jack with jalapeno cheese & mustard)
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sun Feb 22, 2015 17:09

Those look really good Devo!
He He I'm really glad you posted that. My Rye starter hasn't been used in a while so I 'm getting that going and I have some boiled ham I made thats too salty and that would be another way to use it.
I have a few recipes from the King Aurthur site that are"keepers"
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:07

Looks very good. All you need to do is cut the buns in half and whack in some salad greens and you have a quick lunch .

I do a similar bread. I use a layer of sun dried tomato paste:

30g sundried tomatoes
50g boiling water
50g Tomato puree

Chop up the tomatoes roughly. Pour over the boiling water. When water has cooled, add tomato puree and whiz it up leaving a few bits of sun dried tomato.

I then heat up 15g of olive oil and sweat 50 g of red onion rings in it until they are soft.

Next oven roast 30g of sunflower seeds. Take them out of the oven and tip 5g of soy sauce over them.

Finally make a rectangle of the dough. cover half with the tomato mix. Fold the dough over. Let the dough rest for 5 mins. gently stretch it out into a rectangle and cover half with the onion mix. Fold the dough over. Let the dough rest for 5 mins. then repeat the process with the sunflower seeds. Then roll it up like a swiss roll. . then slice up the roll in segments about 1 1/2 inches thick and let it rise. Because you are using a lot of liquid you have to handle the dough with care otherwise it becomes a slimy mess.

Another filling I use is grated or sliced parmesan cheese, cover that with prosciutto and roasted pine nuts. You can do this in a single layer. Heck why not combine bits of both ideas.
Do no harm. Margerine is the biggest food crime
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 14:00

markjass

I like mine for breakfast :wink:

markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Thu Feb 26, 2015 14:27

oh yes. I bet that was good
markjass
Passionate
Passionate

Post by markjass » Thu Feb 26, 2015 14:40

I make all my own breads. I cannot get my taste buds around rye sourdoughs or the wheat equivalents. What kind of starter do you use?

I often use day or two day old dough in my next loaf or make a sponge, biga or polish in my bread. This varies between 12 and 72 hrs old.
Devo
Forum Enthusiast
Forum Enthusiast

Post by Devo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 19:54

I live in Canada and the fellow I got this one from lives in Texas. As the story goes his grandmother started it 138 years ago. It's called a sweet bread starter. In order for him to ship it to me he had to dehydrate it and when it arrived at my house I had to rehydrate it back to life. Worked like a charm. The trick to dehydrating the starter is no higher in temp than 90°F or you will kill the starter.

I keep a few jars of it in the freezer just in case I need more. It takes a while to come back to life but so far after 4 years they still come back.