Post by story28 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 23:48

Pretty cool video. I thought you guys might like to check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1x5Qn68MYo
Bubba
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bubba » Mon Oct 31, 2011 01:54

Amazing Video, and very interesting.

I would love to get to the point where I have sufficient experience to try dry curing Ham. I'll get there.
Ron
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Mar 14, 2015 07:34

I finally got around to making my first culatello. After 3 weeks of equilibrium cure I wrapped each ham in two sheets of pasted hog casings and fitted them into a cotton stockinette. The traditional method of course is to case them in a pig's bladder, but I was unable to find one. Beef bungs are too small, so I had to compromise. Each ham weighs a 3.7kg (over 8lbs) and while not from a berk or manga, I was very happy with the quality of the pork legs that I cut these out of. The legs were not in cryovac bags, but fresh and with excellent colour. Tomorrow I will spray them with a surface starter and the wait begins!

BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 08:28

Nice looking Chris

I have yet to start mine so I will be following, I do have six fiocchetto di culatello style hams down and more to go as the weeks go by
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Mar 14, 2015 19:13

Robert, for sure keep us posted on the fiocchetto and culatello. Certainly more practical info is needed here. I cut out only one fiocchetto, picture below. Hope it all turns out!

BTW I was at Churchill's in Parksville about 10 days ago just when they were unpacking a box of your British bacon! Now I know where to go when mine runs out!

BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Mon Mar 16, 2015 08:37

redzed wrote:Robert, for sure keep us posted on the fiocchetto and culatello. Certainly more practical info is needed here. I cut out only one fiocchetto, picture below. Hope it all turns out!
I will be seeing what this week brings, been informed I have to showcase another Charcuterie station at a function on saturday night --

I have been boning my pork legs out Culatello style for so long and had no idea I was doing it.

Have three Prosciutto started right now, average size between 10kg - 12kg
BTW I was at Churchill's in Parksville about 10 days ago just when they were unpacking a box of your British bacon! Now I know where to go when mine runs out!
Next time I send an order I will try and remember to put a package of the traditional Ayrshire Middleback in for you
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Mar 17, 2015 05:37

BriCan wrote:Next time I send an order I will try and remember to put a package of the traditional Ayrshire Middleback in for you
Thanks Robert, that would be a treat!
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 09:43

It seems that I too have joined the ranks Culatello (three of them down in cure)

Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Mar 25, 2015 13:45

BriCan-
Do you think that curing vac sealed speeds up the curing process or is any different than just a baggie or container?
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 06:36

Bob K wrote:BriCan-
Do you think that curing vac sealed speeds up the curing process or is any different than just a baggie or container?

This is a EQ cure (equilibrium cure) can be done in a ziplock bag if one likes

Curing is not a speed process, so no -- does not speed up

I am using a walk-in-cooler which has fruit and veg so I do not want to have cross contamination either way <--->

Ziplock bags I find messy (just me, no put down on people using them), containers I tend to use only for doing sides of bacon

Some will remember me from a couple or so years back I did a piece on Schinken , redzed emailed me asking if I would like to come back and give whatever support/information on the English fair.

My background is well trenched within the Butchery trade having learned from the old folks in the very early sixties in England -- well over fifty years in the trade (still learning)
Shuswap
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Shuswap » Thu Mar 26, 2015 14:48

It slays me to see Brican tagged as a Beginner on this site - ya, I know its because the number of his posts :lol:
Phil
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Mar 26, 2015 15:32

Shuswap wrote:It slays me to see Brican tagged as a Beginner on this site - ya, I know its because the number of his posts :lol:
That is a good observation Phil, but hopefully that "beginner" designation will change. I appreciate having him here and would rather learn from a pro that actually makes stuff, rather than someone who just writes about it, without any evidence that they even own a grinder. I see too much of the "blind leading the blind out there".

Your culatello looks great Brican, did you manage to find pork bladders to case it in?
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 16:39

redzed wrote: Your culatello looks great Brican, did you manage to find pork bladders to case it in?
Thanks redzed, hope it finishes as good -- first time out on these :oops:

As for casing; not got a source for pigs bladders this round (although I am still looking), this round will be using beef caps :wink:

On a side note if I may; order to parksville next week :wink:
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Mar 26, 2015 17:04

Not sure if it helps you CA guys but Butcher & Packer in the US carries them.
http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php ... cts_id=970
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Sep 25, 2015 04:56

After six months of drying my two culatella have lost 38% of weight. The section that did not have a fat cover felt quite hard so I cut one in half. And as suspected, there is some case hardening on the exposed part. The rest of it looks good and I was happy that I tied both well enough in that there were no holes where the hams were boned and rolled. Both hams have now been vac packed and went into the fridge for a couple of months. By then the dry parts should reabsorb some of the remaining moisture and the case hardening dissipate. Well, let's hope. :grin: