Help with casings

NorthFork
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by NorthFork » Fri Apr 24, 2015 13:11

Hi Pete,
The bear was a very dark chocolate brown, he had one of the best hides I have seen on a bear-would have made a great rug but we were in about 3 miles and didn't want to go back for the hide. The boned out and trimmed meat was 167 lbs. and only my brother and I to pack and it was quite warm so we got the meat out and headed for a cooler. The pics below will give you a better idea of the country we hunt.

They make good sausage, the meat is rather long fibered but that goes away when you run it through a 7mm plate. As I said in my last post, every bear is different-mostly depending on diet.

Here are a couple of shots of the canyon where I shot this one, he was between the most distant peak on the left and the nearer and lower peak. I have hunted this particular area all my life, it is probably my favorite hunting area.

This picture is where the bear stood when I shot him, just above the right end of that horizontal deadfall in the center of the picture, there is a tiny little opening in the brush with two or three white spots in it-that is exactly where he stood when I took the shot. He was following a sow and she had already moved through that little opening so I was ready when he moved through. This is with a telephoto lens, we were across the canyon from him and just under 500 yds away.

Pat
I've always tried to set a good example for others-but many times I've had to settle for just being a horrible warning!
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Fri Apr 24, 2015 14:36

Hello Pat.
Oh my goshh... Hunting for bear is scary, isn't it? Pictures, area breathtaking, but terrain is very difficult, so not for me :cry: By the way - never before I was thinking about a bear meat so is a surprise to hear that the meat can taste better or worse depend on bear diet.
Picture with a "King" of rivers and streams in Northwest - can only dream about put that size and freshness in my smoker....
Good lack
Stefan.