Genes sausage shop and deli in chicago famous alpine sausage

king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Genes sausage shop and deli in chicago famous alpine sausage

Post by king kabanos » Thu Jun 04, 2015 16:28

Has anyone tried the famous Genes deli in chicago where they make this alpine sausage that is double smoked and double garlic sausage? i think its a twist on weselna kielbasa which is wedding sausage and also double smoked. i would love this recipe or try to make a clone of it. does anyone know the recipe or something really close to it? here is a video of the shop below click on the link below. This is how every deli should make there sausage the real deal and traditional way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6kaTGj4oZ0
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jun 04, 2015 18:39

Nice video kingkabanos! The sausage looks very tasty and is obviously popular. The owner is keeping the recipe a secret and the only thing we got out of there is that it contains loin meat. But the name Polish Alpine Sausage is a bit of an oxymoron. Poland is not an Alpine country! :lol: :shock:

There is a recipe on the Polish forum for Kiełbasa Tatrzańska (Tatras Mountain Sausage). It is a simple sausage made with 80% Class II pork and 20% Class II beef. Pork is ground with 8-10mm plate and the beef twice through a 2-3mm plate. Seasoned only with black pepper and all spice, stuffed into beef casings, hot smoked the first day and cold smoked on the second day. The sausage is then dried for a few days before consuming.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Thu Jun 04, 2015 18:53

Wow did anyone catch the mixer in action? The long outside arm turns in one direction and the inner ones in the other. You really need to put the video in slow motion to see it. A mixer design that works!!!

On the video bottom bar on U-Tube Click on settings change to .25 speed and set on full screen.
king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by king kabanos » Thu Jun 04, 2015 22:09

yup to bad its a secret but he uses pork butt meat and loin meat. i think that meat mixer is a daniels meat mixer. anyway i think that sausage is almost emusified but not quite there yet click on the link below and check out the 5th picture. that stuffer looks so easy to stuff with even though it shoots the meat out like nothing. just bought me one of those stuffer talsa h26 phase 1 110 volt. cant wait to try it out next week so it will be posting some pictures. it better stuff goog becuase it coast me a good 5 grand

http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2011/11/ ... usage.html
StefanS
Passionate
Passionate

Post by StefanS » Fri Jun 05, 2015 02:10

Hello King Kabanos.
Nice video, nice kielbasa. Double smoking is nothing new - sometimes I'm doing it also. Video plus your 5th picture is telling me that they used min. two sizes of grinding plates. Additionally process in double smoking was: smoking- poaching-smoking. Also look at meat quantity and "spices" quantity (5th picture just confirming it) - it is really "Alpine" flavor :lol:
Also - it can contain a some quantity of beef meat because color of smoked ready Alpine kielbasa. It is a little to dark side just for pork, also - they used a cherry wood - so it should be on more red side of brownish pallet of colors.
Lets ask Redzed for reposting that topic on polish forum. Maybe We will see what polish Masters can suggest as recipe for that Kielbasa. Redzed - please.
redzed

Post by redzed » Fri Jun 05, 2015 16:51

I don't believe the sausage is emulsified, the writer of the article does not know what the term means. In the video Gene says they are using a an 8mm plate, and as Stefan points out, the 5th picture in the article shows that part of it was ground with with a finer plate. Most likely the fat trimmings (Class III), so that the fat would be less visible.

I think that this sausage is Gene's creation. There is no traditional Polish Alpine Sausage (Kiełbasa Alpejska?). But he does apply a part of the same process as in two sausages from the Polish mountain region, Kiełbasa Tatrzańska and Kiełbasa Podhalańska . I described Tatrzańska above while Podhalańska is made with mutton and pork, it is also smoked, poached and then smoked again. It's seasoned with pepper, allspice, garlic and marjoram. Those are more than likely the "secret" ingredients in Gene's all pork sausage.

And upon Stefan's suggestion, I will post the question to the experts on the Polish forum. I doubt that anyone there might have a recipe for a Kiełbasa Alpejska, but I could be wrong. :lol: :shock:
king kabanos
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by king kabanos » Sat Jun 06, 2015 02:45

yeah red zed i think for the second grind he used a 3mm plate or 4.5 but not emulsified. and never heard of a kielbasa alpeska . but maybe there is.
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jun 11, 2015 06:37

Well my question generated a bit of a discussion on the Polish Forum and then digressed into the subject of German Alpine sausages. Seems that the consensus is that the name Polish Alpine Sausage is unique to Gene's. One of the members remarked that Gene does not know his geography very well. :lol: