Venison Summer Sausage

Wrangler95

Venison Summer Sausage

Post by Wrangler95 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 18:43

I'm gonna make some venison and pork summer sausage this deer season.Can I cook it in the oven,I dont have a smoker now but I'm gonna purchase one this winter when the price drops.Would someone tell the degree of the oven thru out the process and how long to cook at the different stages of cooking.Thanks
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Wed Jun 24, 2015 22:56

Wrangler-
Most recipes will call for starting at around 130f and gradually increasing the temp to around 170f .

170-180f is the lowest setting on most home ovens.
Wrangler95

Post by Wrangler95 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 01:22

Thanks Bob,I'll probably just leave the oven door cracked so it don't get to hot
redzed

Post by redzed » Thu Jun 25, 2015 07:03

Hey Wrangler welcome to the forum!
Your question about making a summer sausage without smoking is somewhat intriguing, because summer sausage, an offspring of the European Thuringer and Cervelat, usually has a strong smoked flavour. Normally stuffed into 60 or 75mm casings, it is a semi-dry sausage, meant to have a longer shelf life. And one of the methods that it is dried and preserved is that it is smoked longer than most sausages, 10 or 12 hours. Sometimes it's smoked a second time the next day. Summer sausage also has that characteristic tang, achieved by a fast acidifying starter culture or with the addition of GDL (Glucono-delta-lactone). So I am not sure how close to a summer sausage the sausage you are proposing to make will taste. You can certainly finish it in the oven, but as Bob pointed out, it's usually not possible to keep a steady temp of only 130F in a conventional oven. What I would suggest is that you make a small amount to experiment, so that you don't waste a lot of meat if you fail. And make sure you monitor the temperature constantly. You can also make a sausage of sorts by using the same ingredients as you would in a summer sausage, including Cure #1, and some liquid smoke and then poaching the chub. It will probably make a decent sandwich meat. But in the end, you'd be much happier with a smoked summer sausage. If you are not in a position to purchase one at this time, try finding someone in your community who could help you out. Sausage hobbyists are a friendly bunch and most would be more that happy to smoke your sausage for a good sample of the product and a beer or two! :lol:
Wrangler95

Post by Wrangler95 » Fri Jun 26, 2015 01:34

Thanks redzed