Salame di Sativa

redzed

Salame di Sativa

Post by redzed » Sat Jan 09, 2016 17:59

The nice thing about making salami is that it gives us an opportunity to be creative making sausages with flavours that we like and embark on discovering new ingredients and formulations. Sometimes we have to think outside of the box, like I did in making this salami. Medical marijuana is now readily available in Canada and the current government has announced its intention to legalize it for recreational use by the end of the year. Currently in Vancouver alone there are over 100 "dispensaries" selling it. You can buy it not only in dried form but also as oil, teas and in things like cookies, brownies and health bars. It's also becoming a popular cooking ingredient, so why not try it in a salami? For this particular recipe I selected a newly harvested aromatic variety with a distinct peppery nose. Seemed to be best suited for salami. Depending on how this experiment turns out, I might try other strains in the future. Not having enough experience with this particular ingredient in a fermented and dry cured sausage, I wavered on the amount of cannabis to use. I wanted to create something where it would serve as a seasoning and not something to make my friends high. Initially I was going use only 1g/kg, but after getting some advice, I settled on 2g/kg. That amount certainly did not disguise the marijuana in the salami, as the aroma comes through as it hangs in the fermentation chamber, and unless you eat a large amount you will not get high. But hey, with a glass of wine, some cheese and a few slices of Salame di Sativa, happy hour might never be the same! Final verdict will come in six weeks or so.

Salame di Sativa

Meats
Class I (lean with no connective tissue) pork from hind leg (green ham) 800g
Back fat 200g

Ingredients per 1000g (1 kg) of meat
Sea salt 25g
Cure#2 2.5g
Granulated garlic 2g
Black pepper coarsely ground 2g
Cannabis, ground and heat treated, 2g
Mace .5 g
Dextrose 4g*
Corn syrup solids 3g*
Erythorbate .5g
White wine 25ml
Bactoferm B-LC-007starter culture - 1g. (.22g per kg is the recommended amount, but it's better to use a bit more in a small batch. I used 1/2tsp for 3kg. of meat block)
*I used more sugar than I normally do since the starting pH was 6.12

Instructions
1. Cut lean meat into 3-4cm. cubes, and back fat into slightly smaller ones.
2. Add the sea salt, Cure#2 to the meat and fat and rest in fridge for 48 hours. Make sure that the meat and fat are covered well.
3. Rehydrate the starter culture in a small amount of water with a pinch of dextrose. Let stand for 20-30 minutes.
4. Semi-freeze meat before grinding. Keeping everything chilled grind the pork and fat with the 6mm. (1/4") plate.
5. Grind marijuana and bake in oven for 15-20 minutes at 275F. (Be warned that the kitchen will smell like a rock concert and a crowd might gather near the exhaust fan of your house.)
5. Add culture and the rest of the ingredients to the ground meat and mix thoroughly, but be careful not to overwork it to avoid fat smearing.
5. Stuff into natural or protein lined collagen casings.
6. Ferment at 20-22C and 90%+ RH until pH reads 5.3 or lower, but ideally not below 5.
7. Dry at 75-85% RH until weight drops by 35%
8. Surface starter optional but recommended.

Freshly stuffed into beef middles, with one into the Umai tube.

Some nice fresh bud

6g ground and toasted
Last edited by redzed on Wed Jan 27, 2016 01:56, edited 2 times in total.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Jan 09, 2016 18:13

I'd say you have stepped well outside the box with this one. Pretty ingenious. If you would open a meat shop in Colorado Springs I do believe you could retire in a year.
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Sat Jan 09, 2016 18:52

Question

Why heat treat the bud ??
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat Jan 09, 2016 19:04

From what I have learned, in order to get the psychoactive effects of cannabis when eating it, it needs to be heated in some way. Raw marijuana won't do anything for you and tastes darned awful. Baking or toasting it also changes the flavour, aroma and makes a better seasoning. I read somewhere that in Indonesia it legal as a seasoning only. But I am not an expert. :lol: Robert, you are the one who lives in ganja town! :wink:
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Jan 09, 2016 19:38

I can just see it now. In the near future not only will there be great debates on the best salt to use in cooking but the best herb and I suspect these debates will be much more heated.
Bob K

Post by Bob K » Sat Jan 09, 2016 19:46

I duno Butterbean, I would imagine the discussion would be fairly subdued and mellow. :cool:
BriCan
Frequent User
Frequent User

Post by BriCan » Sat Jan 09, 2016 20:51

redzed wrote: Baking or toasting it also changes the flavour, aroma and makes a better seasoning. I read somewhere that in Indonesia it legal as a seasoning only. But I am not an expert. :lol: Robert, you are the one who lives in ganja town! :wink:

Might live close but yet to indulge :)

thanks for the insight though :roll:
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Sat Jan 09, 2016 20:55

Bob K wrote:I duno Butterbean, I would imagine the discussion would be fairly subdued and mellow. :cool:
:lol: I think you are right, post consumption anyway. :lol:
redzed

Post by redzed » Tue Mar 01, 2016 05:37

Today I pulled the ganja sausages out of the curing chamber and cut into one. There was an immediate hint of the scent of cannabis, but certainly not overpowering. The taste is quite affecting, starting off with the funky nose, then the peppery saltiness , and then just before you swallow, the marijuana flavour comes through. The overall flavour is quite good and the salami is actually tasty. I was surprised at that since marijuana tastes awful on it own. Compared to the one chub I made with the Umai tube, the chamber cured salami is definitely more intense and has that cheesy funky smell. My humidity in the chamber has been all over the place, so the salami has a bit of case hardening, and it's all vacced for a two or three weeks.

nuynai
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nuynai » Tue Mar 01, 2016 13:18

I can see a new criminal charge. DUIS- Driving Under Influence of Salame.
Butterbean

Post by Butterbean » Tue Mar 01, 2016 15:29

I believe you'd have found an ample supply of ingredients from this patch of weed in the middle of this corn field. Just saying.

Image[/img]
partycook
User
User

Post by partycook » Wed Mar 09, 2016 02:55

is moonshine legal up there? maybe a couple of shots could aid the fermentation.
John
redzed

Post by redzed » Wed Mar 09, 2016 07:35

partycook wrote:is moonshine legal up there? maybe a couple of shots could aid the fermentation.
John
Naw, I would rather drink the stuff. :lol: And it's not legal, but then I don't ask. :cool:

And welcome back John, we have not seen you here for a while! At least you are still cranking out sausages. :wink:
redzed

Post by redzed » Sat May 21, 2016 05:32

Well looks like we are entering a new era in sausage making. A facility in Colorado has recently been licensed to produce cannabis infused jerky. But remember you first read about marijuana sausage was here!
https://www.google.com/url?hl=en&q=http ... rqlQ2S3PBQ